Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Goose wanted Bisciotti to choose Rex over Harbs

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens420 View Post
    You guys realize Billick "lost" the team because of massive injuries and the new coach got a brand new QB and RB, dont you? Whoever the coach was going to be, he was going to do better.
    I don't agree with this at all.

IMO, it's quite obvious BB lost the locker room that last season. Meaning, he was too chummy with the players, not holding them accountable, softening up an already soft training camp, etc.

It's said average leaders last 5-7 years and then their message is stale. I think this happened to BB. And I am a HUGE BB fan, but a change was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    Side note, I might go pick up this book. Tony is a colorful enough character to where I think I'd be interested in what he has to say
    It's a pretty good book so far. A lot of hilarious stories.

We could debate Rex vs Harbaugh forever. I would've been happy with Rex. I'm happier we have Harbaugh. I'm happiest we didn't end up with JASON GARRETT.

Blog Entries

I'm totally outside of scuttlebutt

But it seemed to me that when the HC decisions were being made (both firing and hiring) that we had 2 teams here, one was Ravens offense and the other was Ravens Defense, and Rex was the undisputed leader of one of those 2 teams. The unity was only between the individual teams not the whole, and needed a change.

Since Harbs, I get the impression that it really is a team, that he (maybe uniquely qualified with a ST background instead of O or D) brought a truce to the locker room sides and began uniting the team, even with Ryan still coaching one side of the ball.
    I remember my mind-set back then would not have minded seeing Rex, but saw the wisdom of the decision back then (just hoped it was right) and seen it working out like we were told it would.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens420 View Post
    You guys realize Billick "lost" the team because of massive injuries and the new coach got a brand new QB and RB, dont you? Whoever the coach was going to be, he was going to do better.
    Don't agree. HoustonRaven said it best, but I'd like to add that the brand new QB was only inserted after the #1 got hurt, and the #2 got sick... Bc

No doubt in my mind Bisciotti made the right decision in hiring Harbaugh over Rex. That might have not been the prevailing opinions at the time among the fans, but all you have to do is look at the Jets team over the last couple of years to witness the dysfunction among the team and locker room fallouts. Rex didn't seem capable of controlling that environment. Not only that, I just don't think we'd be where we are at if Rex had been at the helm. I just view Harbaugh as a more structured, disciplined kind of guy who can keep this team focused and knows when NOT to run his mouth...unlike Rex who doesn't know when to shut up at times.

Who wouldn't plug their old friend for a job over someone they don't know?

And it isn't like Rex is doing a bad job in NY. I'm sure the Ravens would be successful if he was here.

Blog Entries

I think they probably would've done fine with Rex, he took the Jets to two AFCC games pretty quickly with less talent IMO. But there would've been that circus atmosphere a bit also.

Harbs has worked out well and the thing I like about him is the is continuing to evolve and learn and change things. He'll win a SB in Baltimore, I believe it.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

DeputyDawg Guest

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    According to Deadspin's breakdown of Tony Siragusa's new book, Goose, the big man wanted Steve Bisciotti to choose Rex Ryan over John Harbaugh for the head coaching gig back in 2008, and told him as much.

You have to love Rex. What a great coach. To this day, I still think that the Ravens should have hired him to be their next head coach. I even told that to Steve Bisciotti, the Baltimore owner, when they hired John Harbaugh. Nothing against Harbaugh, but here was a team that won on defense and had a defensive guy who was great with the players. What else did you need? Bisciotti said, "Rex is a little too close to the guys." Too close? That's the point: you want a coach the players believe in, someone they trust and want to go to war for.

Not that we need yet another thread about Rex vs. Harbs, but I just thought it was funny that one of the main guys of the Billick regime liked Rex. Of course he did, Billick was a player-first coach. But that was eventually his downfall, and IMO not what this (rather undisciplined) team needed.
    Goose is my fav Ravens player all time, but he must have bumped his head on something that day.
    Rex is a low class buffoon and Stevie B is all about class, total mismatch.
    Not to mention Rex the foot whisperer is a little nuts like his dad, and shoots from the hip more often than not.
    He don't know how to devise a plan and stick to it, grabs at the nearest band aid and changes course.
    4 straight playoffs and 5th on the way, how can you argue that success ?
    Steve was wise not to listen to his bad advice.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think they probably would've done fine with Rex, he took the Jets to two AFCC games pretty quickly with less talent IMO. But there would've been that circus atmosphere a bit also.

Harbs has worked out well and the thing I like about him is the is continuing to evolve and learn and change things. He'll win a SB in Baltimore, I believe it.
    This, but I kinda like the "Ravens vs the rest of the NFL" mentality. The we're the bad boys that'll smash you in the mouth when you come play us. THAT's football IMO. But Harbs has done a great job of winning also.

Personally I WAN'T to see Ochocinko getting laid out by Ray and will take that penalty. Just the swagger the team had is what I miss.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Personally I WAN'T to see Ochocinko getting laid out by Ray and will take that penalty. Just the swagger the team had is what I miss.
    That play / penalty cost us that game.

I doubt Ray would agree with that view.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The owner has to feel comfortable with the head coach. Bisciotti didn't feel comfortable with Rex. That's nothing against Rex as a coach. Harbaugh's personality just fits in better with the owner.
    :word :respect