Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Goose wanted Bisciotti to choose Rex over Harbs

At the time and for a long time after, I wanted Rex as coach. I even railed against Harbaugh as being just a manager as well as his lack of coordinator experience. I felt that Harbs' best attributes were that he looked like someone who could put on a suit and go work at Aerotek and churn out PowerPoints.

Hindsight as it is, Bisciotti made the right choice. What the team needed was not a charismatic coach who favored one side of the ball (or locker room) but a single presence who could stand for the team as a whole. What they needed was a strong leader, not someone who would be one of the guys or tight with any group of guys.

Harbs earned the respect of all the players and did turn the team back into a single team. And for what it's worth, the combination of Harbs as coach with Flacco then coming on, will define the Ravens going forward. The Ravens needed to have a strong coaching presence as leader, given that Ray won't be around forever. Sizzle will be a leader in his own way, Harbs will be there too.

I have been critical in the past of Cam's presence as nepotism, especially with all the disappointments in the past. But now that things are coming together, I have to wonder if Bisch, Ozzie, and Harbs foresaw all of this as a five-year plan, with Caldwell sort of falling into it and enhancing it.

I really can't see things being the same way they are on the Ravens now with Rex as head coach. Seems like the Woody Johnson/Tannenbaum/Rex plan has been to just throw stuff against the wall and see if it sticks.
    ---

Baltimore Colts (AAFC): 1947-1950
    Baltimore Colts (NFL): 1953-1984
    Baltimore Stars (USFL): 1985
    Baltimore Colts/Stallions (CFL): 1994-1995
    Baltimore Ravens (NFL): 1996-Present

Gotta agree with Siragusa on this one. Though I like Harbaugh, I see him as a corporate coach who has had 4 good shots at a ring but has come up bupkus. To me, Harbaugh lacks that quality that gets players to play above their heads. And that quality in a HC is often the difference between finishing first and finishing second. Rex has this quality in spades and yes I think the Ravens current run of getting into the postseason would have gone much deeper under Rex.

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    Gotta agree with Siragusa on this one. Though I like Harbaugh, I see him as a corporate coach who has had 4 good shots at a ring but has come up bupkus. To me, Harbaugh lacks that quality that gets players to play above their heads. And that quality in a HC is often the difference between finishing first and finishing second. Rex has this quality in spades and yes I think the Ravens current run of getting into the postseason would have gone much deeper under Rex.
    The thing is, I don't know if you can really determine that by being an outside observer. All we have is media reports to go off of.

If you listen to his press conferences, does Bill Belichick seem like someone who has a killer instinct that fires up players? Not to me. He seems more like a strict librarian. But that can work.

The thing that makes me glad we took Harbs over Rex was that we've continued to be good all through his tenure here. Every year we seem to grow in some area. Rex had two strong years when he started, but things seemed to fizzle out and there's tons of drama around the Jets. The script for this season hasn't been written yet, but still, I don't think you can argue with Harbs' track record.

Rex's way of coaching can be successfull. But when the losses begin to mount and the team misses the playoffs you get the 2007 Ravens. Undisciplined and drama. Didn't last years Jets remind you of that 2007 Ravens team. When/if the losing begins you have to have a leader who can keep control and stop players from losing their shit.

Harbs has been outstanding in this. We let the Steelers bet us twice in the playoffs over the last 4 years. And Cundiff's infamous kick last post season. Imagine if Rex had been HC here. Would he been able to keep this team, a team? A guess we'll never know for sure. But I'm inclined to say no.

Harbs was/is the right man for the job. Since his arrival the Ravens have 4 straight playoff appearances, 2 AFCCG appearances, 1 division title and have won 50 games. That aint just conincidence.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Harbaugh's way of coaching can be successful. But when the losses mount and the team misses the playoffs, you get a team that won't buy into the HC's messege and eventually drama follows. The point being coaching style means little. What matters is what happens on the field of play. And from what I've seen over the years is Rex Ryan inspires players to perform above their abilities. John Harbaugh does not. Rex Ryan would certainly have a better choice as HC of the Ravens.

Harbaugh's way of coaching can be successful. But when the losses mount and the team misses the playoffs, you get a team that won't buy into the HC's messege and eventually drama follows. The point being coaching style means little. What matters is what happens on the field of play. And from what I've seen over the years is Rex Ryan inspires players to perform above their abilities. John Harbaugh does not. Rex Ryan would certainly have a better choice as HC of the Ravens.
    So lemme get this straight ....

You say "what matters is what happens on the field of play" yet Harbaugh is the inferior coach to Rex, who has two less playoff appearances and a worse record?

How does that remotely make sense?

Everyone assumed Rex was going to be the guy, but Bisciotti's ego was just too big so he has to hired his OWN coach.

What matters is what happens on the field of play. And from what I've seen over the years is Rex Ryan inspires players to perform above their abilities. John Harbaugh does not. Rex Ryan would certainly have a better choice as HC of the Ravens.
    Have you watched the Jets offense?

I'd hate to see what Mark Sanchez looks like without all that extra inspiration he's getting from the head coach!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Have you watched the Jets offense?

I'd hate to see what Mark Sanchez looks like without all that extra inspiration he's getting from the head coach!!
    maybe Sanchez just isn't that good?

Quote Originally Posted by ravensinva View Post
    maybe Sanchez just isn't that good?
    And maybe Rex isn't either.
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by ravensinva View Post
    Everyone assumed Rex was going to be the guy, but Bisciotti's ego was just too big so he has to hired his OWN coach.
    every owner in every professional league in the world hires their own coach. you aren't witnessing anything new.

If I owned a multi million dollar professional team, I know I'd want a say in the head coach.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Oof.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh