Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Goose wanted Bisciotti to choose Rex over Harbs

According to Deadspin's breakdown of Tony Siragusa's new book, Goose, the big man wanted Steve Bisciotti to choose Rex Ryan over John Harbaugh for the head coaching gig back in 2008, and told him as much.

You have to love Rex. What a great coach. To this day, I still think that the Ravens should have hired him to be their next head coach. I even told that to Steve Bisciotti, the Baltimore owner, when they hired John Harbaugh. Nothing against Harbaugh, but here was a team that won on defense and had a defensive guy who was great with the players. What else did you need? Bisciotti said, "Rex is a little too close to the guys." Too close? That's the point: you want a coach the players believe in, someone they trust and want to go to war for.

Not that we need yet another thread about Rex vs. Harbs, but I just thought it was funny that one of the main guys of the Billick regime liked Rex. Of course he did, Billick was a player-first coach. But that was eventually his downfall, and IMO not what this (rather undisciplined) team needed.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

I still love Rex. I think he would've been great for us. We made the right decision with Harbaugh though.

Goose seems like a Rex Ryan kind of guy. Interesting to see him and Steve still have an open line of communication
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

I've got absolutely nothing to complain about with Harbaugh. Yes, there are decisions that are, at times, head scratchers, but overall, you can't complain about the results.

As far as Rex goes, this team needed a change in culture, just like when Billick arrived and changed a losing mentality into a winning mentality, and I'm really not sure that Rex could have accomplished that. I think he was too close and too much a part of the culture that the defense ruled. Harbaugh took away a lot of that - and I think that was necessary.

We'll obviously never know what Rex would/could have done here, but we do know what Harbaugh has done, and it's hard for me to argue with the success they've had.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

At the time, the last thing we needed was a players coach.

Rex is a players coach.

Need I say more?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    At the time, the last thing we needed was a players coach.

Rex is a players coach.

Need I say more?
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I wanted Rex as well but I'm happy we have who we have. I was hurt when Rex left but got over it. No more defense and offense as two seperate teams. It still goes that way in NY so I believe it would've been that way here.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Goose wanted Bisciotti to choose Rex over Harbs

Side note, I might go pick up this book. Tony is a colorful enough character to where I think I'd be interested in what he has to say
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    According to Deadspin's breakdown of Tony Siragusa's new book, Goose, the big man wanted Steve Bisciotti to choose Rex Ryan over John Harbaugh for the head coaching gig back in 2008, and told him as much.

You have to love Rex. What a great coach. To this day, I still think that the Ravens should have hired him to be their next head coach. I even told that to Steve Bisciotti, the Baltimore owner, when they hired John Harbaugh. Nothing against Harbaugh, but here was a team that won on defense and had a defensive guy who was great with the players. What else did you need? Bisciotti said, "Rex is a little too close to the guys." Too close? That's the point: you want a coach the players believe in, someone they trust and want to go to war for.

Not that we need yet another thread about Rex vs. Harbs, but I just thought it was funny that one of the main guys of the Billick regime liked Rex. Of course he did, Billick was a player-first coach. But that was eventually his downfall, and IMO not what this (rather undisciplined) team needed.
    That's why Bisciotti is a smart businessman. He's absolutely correct. It's never a good idea to put someone in charge that's friends with everyone. That person has a hard time making the difficult decisions and the people under him often don't give that person their full respect. It's true whether in business or in sports.

I'm still pissed at Rex for the time-out which cost the Ravens the game against the Patriots!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Who is Harbaugh to Goose? It's not like he played for him. Of course he would want his old coach to get the job. Goose loved playing for Rex. I heard him interviewed on Howard Stern this past Monday and he was pushing Rex like crazy. Rex is his guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I'm still pissed at Rex for the time-out which cost the Ravens the game against the Patriots!
    Meh in hindsight a win against NE probably cost us a real shot at Flacco because the Ravens were able to maneuver up and down the draft board because of having the 8th not the 12th pick in the draft.

We probably would've drafted Chad Henne.

Looking at it from that perspective, I hereby retract my pissed-offed-ness. Thanks, Rex, for helping the Ravens land Joe Flaco.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).