Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

The No Huddle on Steroids.

It wasn't long after the game that I made a comment in a thread about the potential of this offense. Essentially, I said that it had the potential to be the Indianapolis offense on Steroids. There were several reasons why I said that. Joe's technique looks very good right now. He is really selling the play-action well, his footwork is good and his off-balance accuracy is very impressive. They have two vertical threats, with one in waiting in case anything happens with Jones (Thompson). They have at least two options in the middle of the field (Pitta and Boldin). Then, after all of that, you have the threat of Ray Rice running behind the best FB in the league and this young offensive line that can impose its will with a lead?

Where Indianapolis used the stretch run to just keep defenses honest, the Ravens can legitimately run to the left, right and up the middle. They can run straight ahead and they can run the counter, they can run the reverse and they can run the draw.

Plus, unlike Indianapolis' defense that simply had to edge rushers, this defense is still going to be a top 10, perhaps top 5 defense with talent everywhere. There aren't going to be many teams who challenge Lardarius Webb this year, or Ed Reed. There just won't be that many places to throw the ball and you saw that with the Bengals. Unless you can turn the short passes into long gains, for three or four quarters, you are going to have problems.

Wouldn't you know it. Jackie MacMullan mentioned on 'Around the Horn', that she spoke with some legitimate voices in the Patriots locker room, asking them about how they felt, about Joe Flacco and this no huddle offense. She asked if it reminded them of some of the Patriots previous offenses (I think she did ask Brady). The comment that she got back, which was brought up in another thread, was "That wasn't the no huddle, that was the no huddle on steroids". I believe that came from Brady.

Then, she got feedback from other legitimate names in the organization and one said that it was like watching Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills offenses.

Afterward, she explained that when Peyton and Brady run the no huddle, they still take a substantial amount of time off of the play clock, analyzing the defense and still moving at a slower pace. Whereas, while Joe did his share of analyzing the defense, it was at a more rapid pace.

I just thought that was kind of a crazy coincidence.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Re: The No Huddle on Steroids.

The offense is looking more like Indianapolis of old with Manning, but they have a RB that resembles a RB that the Colts gave up before the Manning era, need I mention who that was? That's what puts this offense over as one of the best (dare I say it, the most balanced offense in the NFL).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The offense is looking more like Indianapolis of old with Manning, but they have a RB that resembles a RB that the Colts gave up before the Manning era, need I mention who that was? That's what puts this offense over as one of the best (dare I say it, the most balanced offense in the NFL).
    I think he was there for Peyton's rookie year.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I think he was there for Peyton's rookie year.
    Yeah, it's sad for them, I think they could have won maybe a SB earlier than they did had they kept Faulk. Would have been amazing to see Manning and Faulk play together on the same team.

It wasn't long after the game that I made a comment in a thread about the potential of this offense. Essentially, I said that it had the potential to be the Indianapolis offense on Steroids. There were several reasons why I said that. Joe's technique looks very good right now. He is really selling the play-action well, his footwork is good and his off-balance accuracy is very impressive. They have two vertical threats, with one in waiting in case anything happens with Jones (Thompson). They have at least two options in the middle of the field (Pitta and Boldin). Then, after all of that, you have the threat of Ray Rice running behind the best FB in the league and this young offensive line that can impose its will with a lead?

Where Indianapolis used the stretch run to just keep defenses honest, the Ravens can legitimately run to the left, right and up the middle. They can run straight ahead and they can run the counter, they can run the reverse and they can run the draw.

Plus, unlike Indianapolis' defense that simply had to edge rushers, this defense is still going to be a top 10, perhaps top 5 defense with talent everywhere. There aren't going to be many teams who challenge Lardarius Webb this year, or Ed Reed. There just won't be that many places to throw the ball and you saw that with the Bengals. Unless you can turn the short passes into long gains, for three or four quarters, you are going to have problems.

Wouldn't you know it. Jackie MacMullan mentioned on 'Around the Horn', that she spoke with some legitimate voices in the Patriots locker room, asking them about how they felt, about Joe Flacco and this no huddle offense. She asked if it reminded them of some of the Patriots previous offenses (I think she did ask Brady). The comment that she got back, which was brought up in another thread, was "That wasn't the no huddle, that was the no huddle on steroids". I believe that came from Brady.

Then, she got feedback from other legitimate names in the organization and one said that it was like watching Jim Kelly and the Buffalo Bills offenses.

Afterward, she explained that when Peyton and Brady run the no huddle, they still take a substantial amount of time off of the play clock, analyzing the defense and still moving at a slower pace. Whereas, while Joe did his share of analyzing the defense, it was at a more rapid pace.

I just thought that was kind of a crazy coincidence.
    Actually Damien Woody said that on nfl 32 ot the video is on espn.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by He/Ate/the/Box View Post
    Actually Damien Woody said that on nfl 32 ot the video is on espn.
    I can't find the video.

I can't find the video.
    Here the link for you.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...elite-category