Activate LaQuan Williams...?

Why was he deactivated? I like him on special teams... He is a gunner!

I don't know what their thinking was, but I would rather see Williams than Doss dressed for games at WR (I know many here think Doss is a better option). I also feel like I've seen a much bigger impact from Williams on Special Teams than a player like Considine.... no?

Blog Entries

Re: Activate LaQuan Williams...?

Doss is a better receiver.

I think with the addition of Corey Graham at gunner, he made LaQuan kind of expendable and the other problem is Deonte Thompson is also a decent gunner, but can also play WR - arguably better...obviously faster - and he can return kicks. It's unfortunate, but it is a numbers game.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

I think with the addition of Corey Graham at gunner, he made LaQuan kind of expendable and the other problem is Deonte Thompson is also a decent gunner, but can also play WR - arguably better...obviously faster - and he can return kicks. It's unfortunate, but it is a numbers game.
    williams did play well this preseason, but i cant really argue with the coaches decision on this one for the same reasons. Im not 100% sure Thompson is a better WR, because theyre so different, but he does offer something Williams doesnt with his speed on ST.
    -JAB

I guess I didn't put Thompson into the equation... I love him! Any word on Graham's injury status for this week?

Blog Entries

While I'm sure he is, I'd sure like to see him catch his first NFL pass... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven
    While I'm sure he is, I'd sure like to see him catch his first NFL pass... Bc
    I'm not so sure he is the better WR. Very small sample size for LaQuan from last year; no sample size for Doss as of this date. It was a moot question last Monday night. Joe was getting balls to everybody, Thompson included. But there are still only so many to go around. The talk about Doss being hand-selected by Joe as a draft choice presumes a special chemistry that 2 preseasons haven't really delivered. Pitta looks more like the new soft hands go-to target for Joe. And what up w/ Doss & special teams? Tat's how the last WR to be activated gets that gig - ask Deonte Thompson. LaQuan can contribute on ST, when Doss can't (won't?). The guys dressed should be expected to see the field in more than just emergency scenarios. Doss is a likely "inactive active" until he finds a role on Special teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker: M&T Sec 527 View Post
    Joe was getting balls to everybody, Thompson included.
    I think it was actually Tyrod throwing balls to Thompson; pretty sure Joe was done for the night by then.

Still, it's hard to know what to make of Doss, since we've seen him so little. Not a complaint, just an observation. After years with so few good receiving options, it's nice to see so much capability on this roster --nothing to gripe about there!

And what up w/ Doss & special teams? Tat's how the last WR to be activated gets that gig
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    I think it was actually Tyrod throwing balls to Thompson; pretty sure Joe was done for the night by then.
    I think this is true.

I guess my main complaint/question was why Doss and/or Considine was dressing over Williams. Obviously Considine is a safety, so there is a decision to make their as far as safety depth goes. But it liked like there is at least one guy ahead of him to see the field in case of emergency.

As far as Doss goes. I haven't seen him on the field for STs. Also, Williams has had a much bigger impact in real games at WR than Doss ever has. I remember a couple big 3rd down conversions for Williams last season.

Blog Entries

Doss and Boldin, essentially, play the same role on the offense as the slot guy.

So, unless Boldin is tired or hurt or not here, it is likely that Doss won't be included in too much of the game plan.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Considine actually had a good game on special teams. Tandan Doss might not give you much on special teams, but he is the guy that fit's Boldin's role, if anything happens to Boldin. Thompson is a guy who fits the role of Jacoby Jones, several different ways. He can return kicks, play on the coverage team and play the outside WR.

It's not so much in criticism of LaQuan, as it is in realization that Thompson could be special and they are trying to get him on the field in any way feasible.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore