Harbaugh's Post Game Interview

I know this thread is not going to be liked and I think Harbaugh is great but did anyone else think he was too over the top in regards to Joe? I know he was trying to get laughs from the media with Joe being in the room but the whole elite & he's our qb part was awkward *shrugs*. I feel like if he feels that way there is no need to talk Joe up.. just let him play his game and you'll just be doing your typical coach praise like with every other player.

Re: Harbaugh's Post Game Interview

Quote Originally Posted by scbgirlxo View Post
    I know this thread is not going to be liked and I think Harbaugh is great but did anyone else think he was too over the top in regards to Joe? I know he was trying to get laughs from the media with Joe being in the room but the whole elite & he's our qb part was awkward *shrugs*. I feel like if he feels that way there is no need to talk Joe up.. just let him play his game and you'll just be doing your typical coach praise like with every other player.
    After a game like Joe had i think it would be more awkward if he didn't get the praise...
    ::Flacco Superstar::

Quote Originally Posted by RavenousD View Post
    After a game like Joe had i think it would be more awkward if he didn't get the praise...
    It wasn't that he got a lot of praise. It was the way Harbaugh did it. I'm also a girl so I read into the way things are said lol

:grbac:
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I'm also a girl so I read into the way things are said lol
    Wait... don't girls like/need excessive praise? U should <3 Coach! ;)

I didn't see it... But I can imagine it. Harbaugh is a little old school Ra-ra-ra... But if that is the worst thing we have to rant about, then we are good.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    :grbac:
    I expected this reaction. I was brave and posted anyway lol

I expected this reaction. I was brave and posted anyway lol
    You are fine... don't mind them. There are people here who have bashed Harbaugh's college style of praise for a while... Some here refer to Harbaugh as "Coach" or "The BAll Coach"... to mock him.

I think anything that prolongs the media vs Joe (re: elite) story is unwise. It is tempting to gloat or "I told you so" in such a situation, but all it does is keep the issue alive and prods the media to respond in kind if and when Joe has a bad game.

It is one thing to praise your QB (though even there, the "pay him whatever he wants" seems to me to make Ozzie's job harder, then again maybe not), but it is another to taunt the media about it (even under the guise of a joke).

Obviously not a big deal either way, but I think standard coachspeak praise would be preferable in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Wait... don't girls like/need excessive praise? U should <3 Coach! ;)

I didn't see it... But I can imagine it. Harbaugh is a little old school Ra-ra-ra... But if that is the worst thing we have to rant about, then we are good.
    Eh no because then we think you're too nice lol.

But yeah he is. If you watch it I think you'll (kinda maybe) see where I am coming from. I think when coaches talk up a player the way he did with Joe it comes off a little forced. I'm just saying Joe didn't need a 'he's our QB' ra ra speech. His performance spoke for itself and as a player I wouldn't want my coach to feel the need to talk me up about how 'I'm there guy' if it's already a known conclusion. A simple praise of what I did great in the game would have been preferred.

And it wasn't a rant just an observation lol but I agree.

I've been in those interview rooms too often to count and I have to say there is a dynamic that the cameras don't pick up. These people see each other every day - they know each other and there are hundreds of off - camera, off the record conversations for each one that hits the air. John has some old school coaching habits that come from being his father's son, he wants to be sure he doesn't say the wrong thing. Sometimes that appears to be an odd interview, but really there is nothing to read into it. Question asked question answered.

The soundbite was generated because Flacco was right there in the room, right off camera. John was having fun with Joe after a great win as much as anything with his answer. He's been asked these questions so many times, and he's the kinda guy who inside feels "Didn't I answer that three years ago?" but knows he has to say something anyway, so he sighs (and you can see that a little) and says it again.

Short answer - no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think anything that prolongs the media vs Joe (re: elite) story is unwise. It is tempting to gloat or "I told you so" in such a situation, but all it does is keep the issue alive and prods the media to respond in kind if and when Joe has a bad game.

It is one thing to praise your QB (though even there, the "pay him whatever he wants" seems to me to make Ozzie's job harder, then again maybe not), but it is another to taunt the media about it (even under the guise of a joke).

Obviously not a big deal either way, but I think standard coachspeak praise would be preferable in this case.
    Exactly no need to stir the media up even more. If you're that high on Joe just continue to allow him to have control of the offense and let his play speak.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 09-11-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2gigch1 View Post
    I've been in those interview rooms too often to count and I have to say there is a dynamic that the cameras don't pick up. These people see each other every day - they know each other and there are hundreds of off - camera, off the record conversations for each one that hits the air. John has some old school coaching habits that come from being his father's son, he wants to be sure he doesn't say the wrong thing. Sometimes that appears to be an odd interview, but really there is nothing to read into it. Question asked question answered.

The soundbite was generated because Flacco was right there in the room, right off camera. John was having fun with Joe after a great win as much as anything with his answer. He's been asked these questions so many times, and he's the kinda guy who inside feels "Didn't I answer that three years ago?" but knows he has to say something anyway, so he sighs (and you can see that a little) and says it again.

Short answer - no big deal.
    Your points are very rational. I agree it isn't a big deal. Just acting like I know better than an NFL Coach lol.