Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Officiating

There were also a number of blatant Cinci blocks in the back (committed by Cinci on Ravens defenders - on the running plays) that WERE NOT called. Had even a couple of these been called the Bengals would have only gotten field goals. But I guess it is what it is.

The replacement refs are no worse than the regular refs overall, and I would argue they are a bit better. The number of mistakes is not the issue, it is the net effect on the outcome of the games that matters. And the old refs, in their inexplicable desire to call every little thing they could possibly justify, regardless of circumstance, would affect the outcome more than what I have seen so far this season.

I'll take 10 mistakes where the ref, on a stopped clock injury, forgets to charge the team a timeout in the last 2 minutes or where the ref doesn't notice that the 12th defender is one foot from the sideline when the ball is snapped, etc, for every single instance where the old refs would call a 48 yard PI on 3rd and 18 where the defender's arm and the receivers arm jostle each other minorly as the ball is 10 feet from either player or where they call a phantom roughing the passer in the 4th quarter on a 3rd down incompletion thereby extending the drive.

To me, not calling a borderline foul is preferable to calling a borderline foul and the replacement refs fall into the former category more often than the latter.

Same goes with the minutiae regardng what is considered a catch or fumble, etc. The old refs always looked for any tiny evidence to disallow something, which hurt the game. The old refs would have disallowed the Boldin catch, imo (Gerry Austin said he would have overruled it based on replay). The old refs would have disallowed Tamme's 1-yd TD reception against the Steelers, imo, because the ball flew out as he went to the ground (eventhough he took two steps on the way down and had the ball for like 3 seconds). These kinds of sketchy rulings on technicalities make the game worse, imo. Because they are still subjective, and they are made regarding huge game-changing plays.

Bottomline for me is that I have no problem with the replacement refs, and I think people's memories of the old refs are more favorable than deserved.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No he said the Boldin catch was not a TD and there was one other that he said they got wrong.

Overall I agree with most here, they weren't perfect but neither are the regular officials, who are hoping for a huge blunder that they can use as leverage. Not getting it though
    The Boldin catch was a touchdown, so the "real official" only proved that the regular officials aren't significantly better than the replacements.

The Webb call is one I think the regular guys would have screwed up, too, given the league's emphasis on QB protection.

Overall, they weren't any better and they weren't any worse. They missed a lot of blocks in the back (Reed was shoved in the back during one of the Hawkins bubble passes, for instance), and the one on Smith was ticky-tack, but I didn't see anything different, really, in how they screwed up or what they missed.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    r-title--
    When I was playing/managing soccer, I learned a valuable lesson from a wise and very good soccer player from across the Pond - whining about the officials is for losers. Not that your thread is doing that, and it should be noted that the Ravens WON! :D What bothered me the most were the (at least from my perspective) misplaced spots for both teams, at times appearing like they were off by two yards or so. One early 1st down by the Ravens looked pretty questionable, IMO.

OTOH, I tend to agree with both of your comments - there were some ??? calls, but overall not a "bad" performance from the refs, and it WAS funny listening to Jerry Mxyzptlk (or whatever his name was) in the booth telling us that Boldin defintiely didn't catch the TD pass and other myths. ;)

misplaced spots for both teams, at times appearing like they were off by two yards or so.
    yesssss, we were at the bar and were like how the heck did they get that spot...i remember one play the guy ran to mark the spot then took two steps to the right lol

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I thought it was pretty good, except for that atrocious call against Webb for his hit on Dalton.
    That was the worst call of the night from my viewpoint....and the Official's official in the broadcast booth was no better. Webb made the hit with his shoulder, not the head, besides - wherever you shoulders go, your head is only several inches away. Are we playing football or two hand touch?

Does anyone now think this is the level of incompetence they want out NFL refs? The spots have been shaky, they don't know basic rules of the game, and have been letting egregious penalties go throughout the game. Their performance has been laughable.

Blog Entries

That offensive PI

Was one of the worst calls in NFL history.

The dog rapist is allowed to avoid a sack by tossing the ball one yard while getting sacked, with no receiver anywhere in the area. Cool.

Did he rape dogs?
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

I havn't seen the Ravens get this screwed by the refs in a long time.

Countless bad penalties against the Ravens. None against the Eagles.

Roughing the passer on Reed. Bad call, resulting in a TD for the Eagles.

Personal foul on Rice. Bad call, as there was much worse pushing and shoving coming from both sides at the time. Gave Eagles better field position, and they scored a TD.

Pushing of by Jones. Bad call negating a TD.

Just before the Eagles go ahead TD, Vick did not fumble but it was clearly intentional grounding

When the Eagles were flagged twice, it was for the lesser illegal contact, rather than the pass interference it should have been.

I know there was more, but I just want to forget this game.

I guess if you have a dog killer or a rapist on your team, the refs will go out of their way for you.

The NFL is now a joke

fuck these scabs

all the money fans pay and we deserve this

Blog Entries

Re: That offensive PI

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    Did he rape dogs?
    Lol yes. With his tongue too.

The calls were so one sided, I thought we were playing the Steelers.