Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Officiating

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    I thought it was pretty good, except for that atrocious call against Webb for his hit on Dalton.
    True dat. and some creative spots - mostly short - both ways. We won the challenge and the review of the Boldin TD. I thought replay reviews might be novel and thus potentially fucked-up experiences for the replacements.
    Last edited by Tucker: M&T Sec 527; 09-11-2012 at 10:25 AM.

I think they were right in upholding the Boldin TD.

Remember, the standard is "irrefutable evidence" to overturn a call on the field. It was close, but I never saw an angle where the ball was touching the ground.

Again, I was at a bar with dozens of people so I certainly could have missed it.

Blog Entries

I kept looking at Boldin's TD. Clearly he lost control of the ball but I havent seen an angle that clearly shows the ball laying on the ground. It almost looks like he trapped it in his lap. The refs made the right call not to overturn that one. Whether it was a catch or not? Only Boldin knows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkins Fury View Post
    Actually the Ex Official in the booth backed most calls they made on the field, including the Webb call.

Anyhow, I think the biggest missed calls were simple ball spotting mistakes. Ray Rice rolled for a full extra yard before he was touched on the 4th down conversion. Luckily it didn't change the outcome. The Bengals were also victims of a bad spot that shorted them a 1st down, but they got it on the next play.. so no harm. I think the PI on whoever was defending Boldin was a lame call. Boldin's TD was a mistake... although there may not have enough clear evedince to over rule the call on the field. But I could see the ball lose and on the ground under his body. I thought the block in the back against Torrey Smith was a terrible call as well.

That brings us to the Webb call.... I think it was a bad call. But!!! But.... This is why I think they called it the way that they did (and it's a lame call). Webb made a cleanly timed hit. He squared and lined his shoulders up to tackle Dalton with his head to the outside. Dalton moved a little and Webb made slight contact with the crown of his helmet. There is no way to ovoid that... ever.
    The block in the back was a bad call. Torrey was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

My only major issue with the officials in general, was spotting issues with relation to forward progress. That was a league wide problem in week 1. Otherwise, I'm okay with the job they did.

Overall I thought the officiating was adequate. Only two glaring calls stood out. The PI call on Leon Hall against Boldin and Webb's hit on Dalton. Right now the replacement refs are slowing the game a little but that goes away once they start to gel as a unit. Alot of chemistry and communication issues right now.

You also have to remember that the NFL put their best replacement refs on the Primetime games, so we also had the best of the best replacement refs for our game. Overall for the weekend I thought they did an okay job (they weren't up to the standard of the regular referees), although if the timeout debacle in Arizona had altered the outcome there would have been some serious outrage.

There were a few bad calls and a few bad spots, both ways.

It was on par with a poorly officiated game with the regular officials. That's nothing to be proud of, but it was not as bad as I'd feared it might be.

The DPI on Hall was a terrible call; so was the personal foul on Webb and the block in the back on Torrey Smith. There were some tricky calls they got right on bang-bang plays, I thought, like the defenseless receiver call on Mays and a couple times when runners just barely stepped out of bounds were examples of things they could have screwed up and didn't.

I also agreed with them both times on the replays. If the angle on tv was the best angle the ref was looking at I think the Boldin call could have gone either way on the field, but once it was called a TD it was properly left alone. And the call on the Ray Lewis fingertip tackle was properly reversed.

It wasn't good, but it wasn't the national nightmare I'd been fearing.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    The block in the back was a bad call. Torrey was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I agree, the silence from the booth was deafening. After the silence they mumbled something like that did not look like much of a block in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    You also have to remember that the NFL put their best replacement refs on the Primetime games, so we also had the best of the best replacement refs for our game. Overall for the weekend I thought they did an okay job (they weren't up to the standard of the regular referees), although if the timeout debacle in Arizona had altered the outcome there would have been some serious outrage.
    What standard is that?

Do you not recall how many horrible mistakes were made every week last year? Every single week there was one big screw up after another.
    Hell the regular refs once messed up a coin toss.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think they were right in upholding the Boldin TD.

Remember, the standard is "irrefutable evidence" to overturn a call on the field. It was close, but I never saw an angle where the ball was touching the ground.

Again, I was at a bar with dozens of people so I certainly could have missed it.
    No you're right.

He said the call stands, not the call was confirmed. So there was no evidence to the call on the field.

Overall I think they did a good job, some ticky tack stuff here and there but it did balance out.

I noticed the seem to let go a lot of the illegal contact, which I am happy about.

I feel like if we didn't all know that the refs were replacements, we wouldn't really notice that much of a difference. A blown call here or there, a make up call here or there...it's all part of the game.
    Last edited by goodandfast; 09-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.