Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516 ... LastLast

Re: Officiating (Merged Threads)

I thought the refs were quite on par with the regular refs, if you were to refer to the Ravens/Steelers games of 2009/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Replacement refs or not, that was better than any game Mike "malice in his heart" Carey ever called.

So glad I don't have to see that douchebag on Sundays.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Suggs actually puts his hands on the ref and yet, after all these years, it's still the Refs fault that happened.

Amazing.
    The "malice in his heart" line was definitely unprofessionally over the top, but the Ravens did deserve about 16 of those 19 penalties that were called against them in that game in Detroit 2005.

The biggest ref mistake in the Detroit game, and it started the whole Ravens-Gone-Wild behavior, was the clearly-backwards pass (lateral) that we picked up that Carey ruled an incomplete pass (was Harrington at QB if I recall). That started it and was, thusfar, worse than any call I have seen made by the replacements. Then once we started acting the fool and Carey clearly was pissed, he manufactured a couple penalties on us when the Lions had the ball on the 1 yard line; we stuffed them like 6 times but Carey kept giving them new sets of dowsn until they finally punched it in. At that point it was bedlam.

As for refs, how about the fabricated "holding" on Torrey that negated Rice's 70+ yard TD run on the first play of the game against Pittsburgh last year? The one where Torrey's arms were straight ahead (not outside the defender) and the block/"hold" wasn't even a factor in the play. Again, that is an example of a worse call having a greater impact on the game than anything I have seen yet this year.

People are overstating the quality of the old refs and the ineptitude of the current refs. The old ones were this bad, even if they seemed/were less clueless about what they were doing.

Joe doesn't appear to be happy. Fine is incoming I'm sure.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-of-the-game/

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Joe doesn't appear to be happy. Fine is incoming I'm sure.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-of-the-game/

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    I'm glad he spoke up, it puts the issue on all the airwaves come Monday.

The issue has already been on the airwaves, and it is simply the players feeling they have an extra excuse to complain about the refs. The fans are the same way. It is open season on whining about the refs, all because the refs are new. These refs no more affected the outcome than any other set of old refs, no matter how many times people insinuate otherwise. It is a matter of selective memory for the most part. The OPI was a big BS/borderline call; the old refs made big BS/borderline calls all the time, and I would argue they made more of them on average.

We had the ball with 2 minutes left, down by 1 point and a kicker that is good from like 60 yards. Publicly whining about the refs is nonsense, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    The issue has already been on the airwaves, and it is simply the players feeling they have an extra excuse to complain about the refs. The fans are the same way. It is open season on whining about the refs, all because the refs are new. These refs no more affected the outcome than any other set of old refs, no matter how many times people insinuate otherwise. It is a matter of selective memory for the most part. The OPI was a big BS/borderline call; the old refs made big BS/borderline calls all the time, and I would argue they made more of them on average.

We had the ball with 2 minutes left, down by 1 point and a kicker that is good from like 60 yards. Publicly whining about the refs is nonsense, imo.
    Exactly.

And Joe's comments are going to come across as sour grapes, not as anything constructive.

They just showed the reply on Football Night in America ....

Jones definitely pushed off with his left hand. Hate to say it, but that was a good call as well.

The officiating has made the game unwatchable for me. I know they didn't cost the Ravens the game, but they made the pain last 20 minutes longer by having to correct simple shit over and over and over again.

They just showed the reply on Football Night in America ....

Jones definitely pushed off with his left hand. Hate to say it, but that was a good call as well.
    Damn. I missed the replay/discussion. I want to see exactly what happened because it is obvious the ref saw something, even if he saw more than what was there (it isn't like the ref was going out of his way to hurt the Ravens).

My issue isn't whether the call was justified or bad, my issue is whether there was something there that the old refs would have called. And from your description, it sounds like there was.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Damn. I missed the replay/discussion. I want to see exactly what happened because it is obvious the ref saw something, even if he saw more than what was there (it isn't like the ref was going out of his way to hurt the Ravens).

My issue isn't whether the call was justified or bad, my issue is whether there was something there that the old refs would have called. And from your description, it sounds like there was.
    They showed it a few times and pointed out that the ref who threw the flag was right next to the play on the goal line.

I didn't see anything outside the norm. Meaning, I think the old refs would have called it the same way.

Blog Entries

Exactly.

And Joe's comments are going to come across as sour grapes, not as anything constructive.
    I mean more so. I know people are talking about it.

A player coming out and saying "sacrificing the integrity of the game" will get a lot of talk.