Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Ed Reed needs to go

I've seen a few people mention it on the forums and heard some people on the radio talking about Ed Reed needing to go after this season.

I have to say...I agree. For some time I've noticed he's just not the same player, he whiffs on tackles (if you even call them tackles, he can barely wrap up a guy) and you can't count on him in coverage anymore. And that chicken-shit move that he pulled when Moreno jumped over him and he ducked was the last straw in my mind. In that situation, you grab his leg and yank him down or hit him while he's up in the air like that if he's stupid enough to go up, you do not whiff.

The man is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer, and commands respect in the league, but he's past his prime and needs to move on.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries
    Reed is done he can't tackle and he can't cover the same ground to make up for his freelancing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ed Reed needs to go

I don't think he "needs" to go.

I just don't think he can come back close to the cap number he had this year.

He likely will take it as "disrespect" though if we don't offer him a raise...even if nobody else makes an offer close to what we will...so he very may well be down to his last couple games in a Ravens uniform.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

FWIW, I think that the issues with Reed are more complex.

IMHO, I don't agree that he whiffed on that tackle. Moreno got ridiculous elevation on that jump, and Reed was making a play that didn't appear to allow for much alteration after he began sticking his head/upper body into what he thought would be contact. Add to that that he's obviously altered his style of tackling and contact with ball carriers due to what is very likely a serious shoulder injury.

IMO, Reed has been playing hurt this season - a) to his credit, he's tried to contribute as best he can, and b) to the detriment of the team, since he really can't go full steam, but the coaches apparently don't see anyone else as a viable alternative (correct or not).

IMO, Reed is going through some similar faulty introspection of his ability to play and contribute as Mr. Unitas did when he was unceremoniously dumped from the BALTIMORE Colts to San Diego. At some point (tpo paraphrase Dirty Harry), "A man's gotta know his limitations."

IMO, Ozzie and the Ravens need to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with Reed as far as a relative worth evaluation of his continuing abilities to help the team in future seasons.

Of course, these are all just one guy's opinions...

I'll never call for Ed Reed to leave, he is too much of a class act. But hey, he better take one heck of a home town discount or I'd look the other way if they non-tender him.

Last 5 games: 3.4 tackles/game, 1 pass defensed, 1 interception.

I'm just about done with Ed but I would check the All 22 to see if he's still living on reputation (which actually counts for something in that position) and see if he's still scaring QB's. Keep in mind that despite being drafted 6 years after Ray, he's only 3 years younger.

Blog Entries

He's done. Unless he takes the vet minimum, it is time to move on.

Father Time is undefeated.

Blog Entries
    He likely won't be back next year but right now a hobbled Reed is better than our second option

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I agree he is not the Ed Reed of a few years ago, but when you are playing safety with our current corp of inside LB's that can't cover crap and continually fall for play action, and our CB's that can't press cover, the guys head has to be spinning on how he can best stop the bleeding. Reed hasn't been the tough tackling Safety for years, but he has always been smart. I just think he cannot physically compensate for the pass coverage he is trying to be a part of.

Blog Entries

Com'on people. He's got more forks in him than my flatware drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Com'on people. He's got more forks in him than my flatware drawer.
    I'm assuming that means you disagree with me. I just don't think he's "done".

I said this in another thread about Ed and I'll say the same thing here. Ed can still play his position at a high level. He just can't play it like Ed Reed anymore with all the Freelancing. The physical tools to recover from a bad decision aren't there like in the past. Can Ed just play safety without gambling so much? That I'm not sure about.