Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: So, any OL doubters turning into believers now?

Anyone else? Any other thoughts?

Oher and KO are better than McKinnie and Oher. Any way you slice it...I think this is the OL that they were hoping to achieve. Young, nasty, quick, and strong.

Birk, just because of his age, is going to be the weak spot and targets for DL'men, but honestly...Geno Atkins does that kind of thing to everyone. I doubt Birk gets singled out too much moving forward.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Even if Birk does, we've got a young C on the way as well. Still, long way to go, but a really good entrée for the season.

Looking at more video, and on the highlight plays alone there are multiple missed assignments, so I imagine that they were plenty throughout the game. Difference this year is that Flacco has time to absorb what the defense is showing him pre-snap, and he is getting the ball out faster. Both as designed.

Blog Entries

I was pleasantly surprised with the OL play as well. I hadn't bought into the line that the Ravens were playing their top 5 offensive linemen, because I don't regard Harewood to be among the top 5 OL on the team. However, he played well. I thought Oher played well too. I still don't like how much ground he gives up in pass protection. A few times last night he got pushed back into Flacco, but for the most part he looked good. Oher is also a much better run blocker than McKinnie. I'll reserve judgment until after the Eagles game. The Eagles have a good pass rush, so let's see how they play in that game.

Birk may be the weak spot, but without his knowledge and leadership, would this young line be nearly as good?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    Birk may be the weak spot, but without his knowledge and leadership, would this young line be nearly as good?
    No.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YorkRavensFan View Post
    No way. He makes all of the line calls and adjustments.

My point exactly. Everyone talking about he's the weak spot and we need to move on from him is asking for trouble. You want to see missed assignments, put the young guy in there and see what happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Oher and KO are better than McKinnie and Oher. Any way you slice it...I think this is the OL that they were hoping to achieve. Young, nasty, quick, and strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I thought Oher played well too. I still don't like how much ground he gives up in pass protection. A few times last night he got pushed back into Flacco, but for the most part he looked good. Oher is also a much better run blocker than McKinnie. I'll reserve judgment until after the Eagles game. The Eagles have a good pass rush, so let's see how they play in that game.
    I think thats the only way it is better. Say what you want about McKinnie, but hes probably the best pass protector on the team. So any way you slice it? no. although as long as Flacco can get the ball out that quick, his deficiencies will be masked and his strengths magnified, which is exactly what you want and what were hoping for.

As far as Birk, hes the best option we have, and yeah he got mauled from time to time, but we were facing a top 10 defense with Peko and Atkins on the inside. He did a good job. the entire line did.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think thats the only way it is better. Say what you want about McKinnie, but hes probably the best pass protector on the team. So any way you slice it? no. although as long as Flacco can get the ball out that quick, his deficiencies will be masked and his strengths magnified, which is exactly what you want and what were hoping for.

As far as Birk, hes the best option we have, and yeah he got mauled from time to time, but we were facing a top 10 defense with Peko and Atkins on the inside. He did a good job. the entire line did.
    McKinnie may be the best pass protector on the team...when he feels like it.

In this offense and if this is the type of offense that they want to run, then Oher/KO is the best option.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    McKinnie may be the best pass protector on the team...when he feels like it.

In this offense and if this is the type of offense that they want to run, then Oher/KO is the best option.
    I saw a no huddle offense last night, not a hurry up offense. The Ravens are still using almost all of the play clock before snapping the ball. They are just using the no huddle offense to prevent substitutions by the opposing teams. There has never been an issue with the effort that McKinnie puts out in games. The coaches have issues with him in practice, but don't overstate that criticism. I haven't seen enough yet to say that Oher/KO is the best option.

Blog Entries

It's called a Sugar Huddle.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore