Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: So, any OL doubters turning into believers now?

let's wait until after the eagles game, their D-line is one of the best pass rushing ones in the league

Solid outing by the Oline. Flacco, pay the man! Wow, Still need a better pass rush. But Great opening monday night game!!

If Harewood turns out to only be an average OG ...what a bargain

Pleasantly surprised with the O-line play. Harewood > Williams and Oher held his own. I really hope Oher continues to improve at LT so we can concentrate on other needs early in next year's draft. It's only one game, but he played well against a good Bengals D.

It helps now that Flacco is confident, knows the receiver's assignments, and gets rid of the balll quickly. Any O-Line can be made to look good by a smart and quick QB.

Very happy about the new faces, Jones, Osemele, Harewood, Upshaw, Thompson all looked very good........a good start to the season, thats for sure;
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Impressive game all the way around, but I'm curious... was offensive holding called even once on either team?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    OL gave up 4 sacks but I believe two of them were during garbarge time. Nevertheless OL held up well and Joe was in a zone today, saw the field well and got the ball out of his hand quickly. That will mask any defiency your OL might.
    In years past, especially his first three seasons, if it wasn't Mason or Heap Flacco seemed to require a receiver to get three or four steps on a defender before he threw it to them, unless it was a slant or some other timing route.

He's gotten fearless putting the ball in a tight window. Two passes to Boldin, the sideline to Jones, a couple of passes to Pitta, one to Dickson and a couple of passes to Smith were all tight windows, in the perfect spot where his receiver had the best play on the ball.

The sideline pass to Jones was beautiful. He dropped it in the gap in the zone right as Jones cleared the corner but before the safety could get there.

Blog Entries

I think we have the personnel to do what we want. Birk needs to be replaced. Judging by this game he is our weakest link.

Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Impressive game all the way around, but I'm curious... was offensive holding called even once on either team?
    LOL. Not that I saw. And I saw McPhee get held for sure on one play, or at least he was held enough to warrant a calll with the old refs (and I wasn't really scrutinizing every replay, so I am sure there were more "missed" calls). But I like it better like that. Call fouls that are clearly fouls, not any-little-thing-that-can-be-possibly-rationalized; if in doubt, let it go. As long as the refs are consistent, then there should be no problem officiating games in this manner.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmike34 View Post
    Dont believe so.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

bacchys-
    It's as if Flacco has "it" now when he throws a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I think we have the personnel to do what we want. Birk needs to be replaced. Judging by this game he is our weakest link.
    He really wasnt that bad. He sprung a lot of Ray Rice draws and trap plays up the middle. He got pummeled a few times, but if he's our weakest link we're in good shape.
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Flacco has always been a great QB. How many passe were thrown poorly tonight? Still a lot of great passes dropped due to good coverage or drooped balls. The Oline deserves a lot of credit and hopefully will improve even more. Leave Birk alone, he the senior man who calls out what he sees .

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    bacchys-
    It's as if Flacco has "it" now when he throws a pass.
    Yeah, or more like he is not afraid of getting picked (or getting yelled at by Cam, etc). He is slinging it, not "playing it safe" like I am sure he was instructed to do in the past. He simply has earned the responsibility for the decision-making, similar to the audibling (and no-huddle), and it shows on the field.

It wouldn't surprise me if he finishes the season with a few more picks than usual (and a lot more TDs obviously), but then again maybe he won't. And either way, I wouldn't care if he did, if throwing them (taking chances) leads to this kind of offensive output. I always felt that our philosophy over-weighted offensive turnovers (obviously because our defense was the water-carrier for our team up until now). I realize they are painful and can be disasterous and can lead to opponent's points, and I realize we need to win the turnover battle, etc, but at some level you can go too far in trying to avoid making them to the point you hamstring your offense and reduce your chances of winning.