Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I just don't get it

I understand that it's a passing league now and that teams fall behind on the scoreboard, but what is with these offensive coordinators having their first and second year QBs throwing 30+ and 40+ times a game? I thought the falcons and ravens laid down the blueprint in '08 on how to win games with rookie qb's? And even the Eagles, they have one of the most capable running backs in the game and they have Vick toss it 50 times in a close game? Say what you want about a passing league, but every team that ran the ball effectively won (cowboys, redskins, 49ers, patriots).

Re: I just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by LoganSF View Post
    I understand that it's a passing league now and that teams fall behind on the scoreboard, but what is with these offensive coordinators having their first and second year QBs throwing 30+ and 40+ times a game? I thought the falcons and ravens laid down the blueprint in '08 on how to win games with rookie qb's? And even the Eagles, they have one of the most capable running backs in the game and they have Vick toss it 50 times in a close game? Say what you want about a passing league, but every team that ran the ball effectively won (cowboys, redskins, 49ers, etc).
    Not all teams have the Ravens defense to fall back on.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganSF View Post
    Say what you want about a passing league, but every team that ran the ball effectively won (cowboys, redskins, 49ers, patriots).
    Those three QB's you mentioned had MONSTER games for their teams. Those three make up three of the top five passers this week.

I don't think that's helping your argument.

The Eagles are stupid. LeSean McCoy, receiver of a brand spanking new contract, was running at 5.5 YPC yesterday. Yet, they decided to throw the ball 56 times... I don't get it. The playcalling was atrocious. At one point, they seemed to have gotten it right by riding McCoy like 4-5 times, then they just stopped... Why?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Not all teams have the Ravens defense to fall back on.
    True, but he does bring up a good point.

This may be a passing league, but teams that can run the ball effectively when they want to seem to be able to find success a fair amount.

Carolina is another one. No idea why they only ran it like 8 times yesterday.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    The Eagles are stupid. LeSean McCoy, receiver of a brand spanking new contract, was running at 5.5 YPC yesterday. Yet, they decided to throw the ball 56 times... I don't get it. The playcalling was atrocious. At one point, they seemed to have gotten it right by riding McCoy like 4-5 times, then they just stopped... Why?
    Because it's Andy Reid. That's what he does. Remember Brian Westbrook? Dude was one of the top RB's in his prime and Andy Reid refused to run the rock. I think one season he passed the ball something like 77 or 78% of the plays and Eagles fans were pissed because Westbrook was a 1000+ yard back easily on the ground.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I do agree with you in a sense that when you draft a rookie QB, UNLESS he has shown that he is a once in a lifetime prospect like Cam Newton was, you need to run the ball and play good defense. The problem is, the Falcons and the Ravens had much superior teams and talent on their roster top to bottom when they drafted Matty and Flacco. The Dolphins for example just don't have the talent to play the way the Ravens did in 08 and be successful.

Just for the record, I still believe a team can win a SB with an elite running back and an elite defense, with only a good QB. But you do need at least a good QB to make the throws when you need them. The 49ers could very well win the SB with the team they have for example.

Got to able to run when you want to. Luckly we have Rice, Leach and Yanda. Passing needs to be but running has to be. Rice will have another Great year!!

Blog Entries

Andy Reid's playcalling made no sense yesterday; I couldn't believe it. But your point is taken, with all the rule changes its tough to find a balanced offense anymore

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think a lot of teams reacted (over-reacted) to the gaudy passing stats of last years and retooled their defense with light, speedy linebackers and going to nickel D as base. Should be a nice advantage for teams that are still able to break out a power running game.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I think a lot of teams reacted (over-reacted) to the gaudy passing stats of last years and retooled their defense with light, speedy linebackers and going to nickel D as base. Should be a nice advantage for teams that are still able to break out a power running game.
    I totally agree with this, I think it will get even more drastic and offenses will catch on and begin running more and more and the cycle will start over again.

Andy Dalton and TJ Yates rode a strong running game and opportunistic passing into good rookie campaigns.

I think a lot of the NFL is perception and reputation. First impressions can make or break. Public wants a winner ASAP. So you have to come out blazing like Cam Newton or RG3 or you won't get a second season to develop.

My gut tells me Tannehill might be damaged goods after this year.