Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: I just don't get it

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoravensfan View Post
    I think a lot of teams reacted (over-reacted) to the gaudy passing stats of last years and retooled their defense with light, speedy linebackers and going to nickel D as base. Should be a nice advantage for teams that are still able to break out a power running game.
    Last years passing stats where all at the beginning of the season after a lock out! Offenses where just more advanced and more ready to throw the ball around in the sunshine. Yeah it is a passing league, but I'm tired of hearing about it, good teams still run the ball and play good defense. It's only the real pass heavy teams like the Patriots and the Packers who have the best quarter backs in the game playing for them! And even then, these teams can be broken down by teams like us or the 49ers.

Name me the last team to win a SB without a great defense?

PS Don't say the Giants, anybody who actually watched their play off games realize that they had the best defense in the league once they got to week 17 last year.

Blog Entries

The Redskins had RG3 throw a lot of short, high percentage passes early in the game to build up his confidence and get into a rhythm. I wish Cam would have Flacco do the same thing.

Winning teams need the pass to run and the run to pass and do both effectively.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Winning teams need the pass to run and the run to pass and do both effectively.
    Didn't the Giants have one of the worst running games in the league last year?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Didn't the Giants have one of the worst running games in the league last year?
    I don't think it is as simple as just run the rock.
    You have to consider your division and then how to advance in the playoffs.
    If you can't get through those 6 division games, you will have a hard time getting to the playoffs.

Passing the ball opens up the running game because you have them on their heals.
    The Ravens not so long ago, only had a running game, and every team put 8 in the box BECAUSE we couldn't pass well at all.
    BUT, running well can completely drain a defense.
    So to me, you have to have some balance to make it as hard as possible for the defense.
    Long sustained drives are difficult, but those drives are the ones that win championships.
    It doesn't hurt to have your receivers catch everything thrown at them including with one hand on the top of their head while an all pro safety bends them in half backwards...just saying...

The 49ers are the Ravens of the west. Houston is alot like us, and so is Pittsburgh.
    Even the Jets were like us the first couple years Ryan was there.

But yes, tough defense and tough running game can keep you in most games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LoganSF View Post
    I understand that it's a passing league now and that teams fall behind on the scoreboard, but what is with these offensive coordinators having their first and second year QBs throwing 30+ and 40+ times a game? I thought the falcons and ravens laid down the blueprint in '08 on how to win games with rookie qb's? And even the Eagles, they have one of the most capable running backs in the game and they have Vick toss it 50 times in a close game? Say what you want about a passing league, but every team that ran the ball effectively won (cowboys, redskins, 49ers, patriots).
    And I think Mike Shanahan took the best approach. RGIII threw the ball 23 times. That's all. That's half of what Andrew Luck threw the ball. Brandon Weeden had 35 pass attempts. Tannehill had 36. Russell Wilson 34.

I think RGIII played a tremendous game. He made the most of all of his opportunities. But the game plan his coaches put together for him was even better. They set him up to succeed. The failure of Luck, Tannehill, and Wilson fell more on their coaches than themselves. The Colts ran the ball just 13 times against the Bears. That's it.

Weeden wasn't put in a very good situation either but I really just think he's not that good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    True, but he does bring up a good point.

This may be a passing league, but teams that can run the ball effectively when they want to seem to be able to find success a fair amount.

Carolina is another one. No idea why they only ran it like 8 times yesterday.

I agree. It's about having enough balance so that the defense can't focus on one thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The Redskins had RG3 throw a lot of short, high percentage passes early in the game to build up his confidence and get into a rhythm. I wish Cam would have Flacco do the same thing.
    Why Cam thinks slant routes with Boldin cannot work is beyond me. Look at the Kansas city game back in the play offs, that is exactly how this offense should have been playing since 09 (I say 09, because I think in 08 we absolutely had to adapt that kind of offense to begin with).

Blog Entries

They brought up this very point on NFL network real briefly yesterday in the pregame breakdowns and the eagles was the team they talked about, they asked why isn't McCoy getting more touches in games he's clearly a home run hitter, the answer was teams don't run the ball like that anymore, you hardly see backs getting 30 carries a game anymore.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    They brought up this very point on NFL network real briefly yesterday in the pregame breakdowns and the eagles was the team they talked about, they asked why isn't McCoy getting more touches in games he's clearly a home run hitter, the answer was teams don't run the ball like that anymore, you hardly see backs getting 30 carries a game anymore.
    Which is kind of stupid when it's obviously almost losing you games against the clowns.

op is spot on. I guess some of these guys watched the highlight reels (and Cam) (Newton, not Cameron) and figured you can too pass wi a rookie qb. having said that, part of the prob might have been that they fell behind (see most Browns games) and felt they had to throw to catch up.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It's only the real pass heavy teams like the Patriots and the Packers who have the best quarter backs in the game playing for them!
    And look how scary the Patriots look with a happening running game again! Even Manning looks to be greatly benefitting from McGahee's presence.