Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Osemele to start at tackle on Monday night

I think we may see a lot of shuffling around on the Oline this year, it's not really common these days, and I'm not a huge fan of it, I like a set Oline of 5 guys to gel together all year. But it's whatever the coaches feel is right for our team, and whatever gives them the best chance of winning is all that matters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    No doubt they knew they were going with Oher and KO so they asked McKinnie to take a cut... or else. Seems obvious they were willing to take that gamble since they weren't planning to start him.

After giving it some thought, I sure hope KO and Oher work out and McKinnie can be used in jumbo packages and for insurance. We all know he's not the long term answer. If it doesn't work out or if he plays himself back into a starting role, then he will have earned it.
    :word Agreed.

Happy for Oher, think he will be ok at LT. KO is a monster. Think this unit get the job done. Harbs said Oher was LT way back when. Flacco is quicker and better. So is Oher. With the sugar, this could work, if Williams hold up. Bmac is at least good for back up. Think Flacco and Birk will have this line in order. And as Harbs would say, We just got to get better each and every day. 30+ pts and a Monday Night Thank You to ART!! Love my Ravens,and my city!!Hall of Famer MR. Modell

I think it's good that the competition actually yields results as opposed to just being a facade - those who practice best, play best, start. It's good to have 6 OL able to play as you know one of the starting 5 is going to pick up a knock at some point.

This may also not only be motivation for McKinnie, but Oher as well. He's in his penultimate year of his contract and while we know the Ravens do like to procrastinate on contracts at times, it's time to begin to see what the Ravens have got with Michael. Succeed and he could be looking at a sweet extension next year. At the end of the day, Webb got his done. When you've got Flacco done, why would you not want the LT sorted as well? If he doesn't, then how long does he remain a Raven? It's his opportunity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrian View Post
    I think it's good that the competition actually yields results as opposed to just being a facade - those who practice best, play best, start. It's good to have 6 OL able to play as you know one of the starting 5 is going to pick up a knock at some point.

This may also not only be motivation for McKinnie, but Oher as well. He's in his penultimate year of his contract and while we know the Ravens do like to procrastinate on contracts at times, it's time to begin to see what the Ravens have got with Michael. Succeed and he could be looking at a sweet extension next year. At the end of the day, Webb got his done. When you've got Flacco done, why would you not want the LT sorted as well? If he doesn't, then how long does he remain a Raven? It's his opportunity.
    If Oher plays well at left tackle this year, and kind of breaks out at that position so to speak, you absolutely extend him, you just cannot let left tackles hit the market these days. If he plays poorly, IMO they are going to have to look at Oher as possibly moving to guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    and what indicates that Oher couldn't be an above average LT? Mckinney is 34yrs old and have never gave 100% to any team whether it be Minny or us, the one year Oher started that was his 1st year ever starting at LT in the NFL going up against one premier pass rusher after the next he made some mental mistakes but he wasn't horrible, he's had some years now with the same unit he knows the assignemnts now and looked really good in Preseason almost stellar. All his life Oher had to prove the doubters wrong this is no different if i were a coach ill take the guy giving 100% all day everyday over a lazy piece of shit with talent, eventually talent will run out with age.

The fact that accross 21 games spanning 2 seasons at LT, Oher has yet to be anything but terrible. His best game of the 21 was below average. he gave 110% the whole time. He just doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I think the problem is, people just wont let that play go where Oher missed his assignment on Troy, which led to the strip sack on Flacco, which btw was TWO years ago now. People need to move on. At least it will tell us if we actually need to draft or look for a tackle in 2013, hell if Oher plays well, we wont need to do anything on the OT front in 2013.

I can't speak for anyone but me, but in my case that play has VERY little to do with my opinion of Oher's abilities/potential as a LT.
    Beyond that, the fact that he has led the entire league (at any position) in penalties since the day he entered the league isn't even the biggest contributor.
    From my perspective, it's all in the eye test. I simply cannot stand the way the guy passblocks. He stubbornly sticks to his lifelong technique of bodying rushers up and trying to force them out of the way with his massive size. problem is, he's not in High School anymore, and some of the players he goes against are almost as big as him, and almost every one is faster. He has GOT to learn to use his hands and extend them. If I had faith that he could or would make this technical change I would think he could be satisfactory, but besides a VERY LITTLE this preseason, I haven't seen much in the way of effort to overhaul his technique.
    His rushers simply get too much penetration too early and often. This technique also makes him extremely succeptible to the outside speed rush, and even worse agaisnt a guy that can set him up outside and spin inside. By simply extending his arms it would increase his allowable reaction time by a MAJOR factor, which would help him immensely in those situations.
    Mentally, he jsut ins't there, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I can't speak for anyone but me, but in my case that play has VERY little to do with my opinion of Oher's abilities/potential as a LT.
    Beyond that, the fact that he has led the entire league (at any position) in penalties since the day he entered the league isn't even the biggest contributor.
    From my perspective, it's all in the eye test. I simply cannot stand the way the guy passblocks. He stubbornly sticks to his lifelong technique of bodying rushers up and trying to force them out of the way with his massive size. problem is, he's not in High School anymore, and some of the players he goes against are almost as big as him, and almost every one is faster. He has GOT to learn to use his hands and extend them. If I had faith that he could or would make this technical change I would think he could be satisfactory, but besides a VERY LITTLE this preseason, I haven't seen much in the way of effort to overhaul his technique.
    His rushers simply get too much penetration too early and often. This technique also makes him extremely succeptible to the outside speed rush, and even worse agaisnt a guy that can set him up outside and spin inside. By simply extending his arms it would increase his allowable reaction time by a MAJOR factor, which would help him immensely in those situations.
    Mentally, he jsut ins't there, and I'm not sure he ever will be.
    We can agree to disagree. I will finally agree with you if he continues to play the same way as he did back in 2010 going into this year, but if he continues his impressive pre season form, I have to believe Oher is our long term solution at left tackle.

The past is the past, anything can happen in the NFL, and Oher finally getting there would not be the most surprising thing happen in the league.

We can agree to disagree. I will finally agree with you if he continues to play the same way as he did back in 2010 going into this year, but if he continues his impressive pre season form, I have to believe Oher is our long term solution at left tackle.

The past is the past, anything can happen in the NFL, and Oher finally getting there would not be the most surprising thing happen in the league.
    And, this may surprise some people here, I will agree with you if he continues his preseason form. i have said multiple times that he looked improved for sure this preseason. He outplayed BigMac. There is no question in my mind that in limited action, he looked better then mac and his previous self. He even appeared to make SOME strides in what I consider hsi biggest weakness that he seemed stubborn to change.

But, from where I sit, I need to see more. I'm not jumping over after limited action in the preseason, My eyes are open as is my mind, which surprises me, I just need to see more. From where I'm sitting, today, it's a mirage in the desert. By the end of the year that mirage could be the bright lights of Vegas. Not much would surprise me more.

See, the past may be the past, but it is also the best predictor of future success.

And from where I sit... I like the chances of BigMac staying between his passrusher and Flacco then Oher. He may not put in 100% or runblock very well, but to me LT is a passblocking position, and I want my LT to keep his man away from my QB, it's his first, second, and third priority. run Blocking is merely a PLUS beyond that in my book.
    Now the rest of the Oline, are run blockers first and foremest, passblockers second. Especially guards. Centers are slightly shifted as consistant effective snaps and linecalls probably top their priorities, and I can deal with centers that are helper blockers and weak in 1 on 1 matchups, as long as the scheme dictates the success of that style player.

Blog Entries

If Oher plays well at left tackle this year, and kind of breaks out at that position so to speak, you absolutely extend him, you just cannot let left tackles hit the market these days. If he plays poorly, IMO they are going to have to look at Oher as possibly moving to guard.
    This is a great point. Oher has to look at this as his chance to get his 2nd contract as a LT as opposed to RT - which can be a huge difference. In some ways I have felt they might let him test free agency but if he performs well at LT, not so much of a chance of that.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

And, this may surprise some people here, I will agree with you if he continues his preseason form. i have said multiple times that he looked improved for sure this preseason. He outplayed BigMac. There is no question in my mind that in limited action, he looked better then mac and his previous self. He even appeared to make SOME strides in what I consider hsi biggest weakness that he seemed stubborn to change.

But, from where I sit, I need to see more. I'm not jumping over after limited action in the preseason, My eyes are open as is my mind, which surprises me, I just need to see more. From where I'm sitting, today, it's a mirage in the desert. By the end of the year that mirage could be the bright lights of Vegas. Not much would surprise me more.

See, the past may be the past, but it is also the best predictor of future success.

And from where I sit... I like the chances of BigMac staying between his passrusher and Flacco then Oher. He may not put in 100% or runblock very well, but to me LT is a passblocking position, and I want my LT to keep his man away from my QB, it's his first, second, and third priority. run Blocking is merely a PLUS beyond that in my book.
    Now the rest of the Oline, are run blockers first and foremest, passblockers second. Especially guards. Centers are slightly shifted as consistant effective snaps and linecalls probably top their priorities, and I can deal with centers that are helper blockers and weak in 1 on 1 matchups, as long as the scheme dictates the success of that style player.
    good post i see your point of view, it's not easy to be sold on Oher as a long term solution yet, I can agree with that statement as we all want to see what Oher can bring to the table as starting LT now he's seasoned.

Blog Entries

The fact that accross 21 games spanning 2 seasons at LT, Oher has yet to be anything but terrible. His best game of the 21 was below average. he gave 110% the whole time. He just doesn't have it.
    He played great in the first Pittsburgh game in 2010 when Flacco led the game winning drive. Flacco was not sacked that game and really was not pressured heavily, by Steelers standards.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore