Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Osemele to start at tackle on Monday night

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    That's negated by starting Williams though, he wouldn't be a picture of the lineman you want to run no huddle with, but I get your point about ko and oher compared to McKinnie, but is he really more "unfit" for the role as Williams?
    I think that the interior of the line is intentionally left "beefy". I'm not a coach, but is it possible that they look to run more out of shotgun and also prevent Wilfork like players from getting big pushes up the middle. Just a thought.

Those athletic tackles with the way the NFL is going help with the speedy outside rushers and the guard and center to help against the behemoths. Grubbs was excellent, but to me he was more of a technician at guard and Williams appears to get a little more "dirty/rough" in there.

Blog Entries

While agree with the last line, oher and ko are better than McKinnie, I think having McKinnie out there would be better than Williams. Ie McKinnie ko birk yanda oher, is better than oher Williams birk yanda ko.

I'm torn, but I think ko instead of Williams is better for our line than oher instead of McKinnie and ko at tackle.
    Maybe, but Williams really only looked lost during the 1st game against the Falcons when Birk was out, so he was lined up beside a rookie center, who also was pretty lost.

I do agree that KO is better than Williams, but I guess the coaching staff feels that Williams is a better offensive lineman than McKinnie, which I can't honestly say I'd agree or disagree.

What I will say is that just gauging Oher vs McKinnie this pre-season, Oher looked better and more able to handle the sugar huddle.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bengtc View Post
    Bobby Williams was just terrible this preseason
    yea he blew the whole preseason, guy is done KO should be at guard, period. its a better O line with him at G and Mckinnie at tackle than KO at T and Bobby W at G. EOM

i also dont trust the o line coaches as we seen before they starter Oher at LT one year and last year made no adjustments to stop wilfork or at least scheme better

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Maybe, but Williams really only looked lost during the 1st game against the Falcons when Birk was out, so he was lined up beside a rookie center, who also was pretty lost.

I do agree that KO is better than Williams, but I guess the coaching staff feels that Williams is a better offensive lineman than McKinnie, which I can't honestly say I'd agree or disagree.

What I will say is that just gauging Oher vs McKinnie this pre-season, Oher looked better and more able to handle the sugar huddle.
    I agree oher is better than McKinnie and ko needs to be out there, just interested to see was dropping McKinnie and not Williams the right moved. At least oher won't be playing dunlap

I think KO was going to be starting regardless with his potential and what he's showed. So then it was a question of McKinnie or Williams. Could come down to conditioning or chemistry. I'd probably rather have the rook next to Yanda than McKinnie in terms of who can help him out and be a good influence.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

6. Re: Osemele to start at tackle on Monday night

I'm a little worried. Hopefully this means absolutely nothing, and it turns out to be a plus. A rookie RT who hasn't played his best IMO is a little scarry especially against that really good Cinci Dline.
    Lardarius "The predator" Webb

Blog Entries

That's negated by starting Williams though, he wouldn't be a picture of the lineman you want to run no huddle with, but I get your point about ko and oher compared to McKinnie, but is he really more "unfit" for the role as Williams?
    That may be true, but the difference was, Williams actually went out and worked hard to get back into shape and lost 20 lbs. McKinnie couldn't even get down to 345 lbs with a full offseason.

Fair point, but the conditioning of tackles is more important than that of the interior linemen because in most protection schemes the tackles are generally left in one on one match ups against the most freakish athletes on most defenses. Bobby Williams will be going up against bigger, slower players to begin with and has more help from Birk and the rb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goodandfast View Post
    Fair point, but the conditioning of tackles is more important than that of the interior linemen because in most protection schemes the tackles are generally left in one on one match ups against the most freakish athletes on most defenses. Bobby Williams will be going up against bigger, slower players to begin with and has more help from Birk and the rb.
    Williams, Birk, and Yanda just need to be on the same page regarding picking up the inside blitz.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Ive said numerous times i think mckinnie oher is stronger than oher ko. I still feel that way. Its not really even about those two but williams. Id rather have ko mauling people than williams, who didnt look all that impressive and has durability issues. Oher did play well in the preseason as he did in 2010, so ill still keep my fingers crossed. Mckinnie didnt play bad, but id agree he didnt really play better to "win" the job from oher, since he moved him. If harbs didnt demote him im not sure oher played well enough to unseat him the other way either. I dont think the 5 best lineman doesnt include mckinnie even lazy and running the sugar (he seemed fine in preseason, im not sure why its being said he cant handle it) but at the same time i trust the coaching staff. Now that the decisions been made ill just hope they gel and play well like i would have regardless. If that thought that mckinnie ko birk yanda oher makes a stronger line means i need to eat crow, serve it up.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Also, can those who think Williams had such a bad offseason point out to me where Williams actually played badly, apart from the Atlanta game, because from what I seen, he was pretty solid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont think the 5 best lineman doesnt include mckinnie even lazy and running the sugar (he seemed fine in preseason, im not sure why its being said he cant handle it) but at the same time i trust the coaching staff.
    Actually McKinnie gave up two sacks vs the Jags when we were running the sugar huddle at his fullest against a full starting defense, not a good sign. He had a pretty bad game.

As you said, at the end of the day, people can bitch and whine all they want on this board, but the coaching staff know more about these players much more than any of us do. They are putting out what they FEEL is the best possible offensive line, and I will trust what they feel, until I see the unit struggle.