Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

Some folks might have you believe that the NFL is making a big mistake by forcing Cleveland to pay their respects with a moment of silence to the bane of their woeful city’s existence, Art Modell.

My colleague Kris Jones is one of them.

Kris explains in a nicely written albeit off the mark piece that the Modell family doesn’t deserve what could be an ugly and overwhelmingly negative response from Browns fans during the planned hush amongst the crowd.

Kris argues that, “To ask Cleveland fans to hold a moment of silence for Modell is like asking Ravens fans to do the same for Bob Irsay.”

Seriously?

For years Art Modell worked with government officials in Cleveland to build a new stadium. Irsay openly paraded his team to other cities like a street hooker sells her “wares” to sailors.
    Modell took over Municipal stadium, a decaying cesspool by the lake and in doing so helped to keep the Cleveland Indians from moving out of town not once, but twice. Meanwhile Irsay condemned the Colts home, the beloved Insane Asylum on 33rd Street, a building that hosted over a decade of consecutive sellouts.

While Art Modell embraced troubled players scorned by the public Irsay scorned heroes loved by the community.

Modell has been described by so many in loving and glowing terms (here are a few) while Irsay’s own mother referred to him as “the devil on Earth.”

And while the philanthropic Modell poured millions into charitable endeavors for the city of Cleveland, Irsay poured gallons of gin and tonic down his lying and deceitful throat.
    Comparing these two men is like comparing the quality of Ray Rice’s character to that of his Rutgers teammate Kenny Britt.

Later in his piece Kris Jones poignantly states that, “Paying tribute to Modell should be about a celebration of life and in Cleveland it’s all but certain to be a celebration of death. Arthur B. Modell doesn’t deserve that, nor does his family, who has to cope with the loss of a loved one.”

Let’s marinate in that for a moment…

Yes the moment of silence should serve as a small token of appreciation for what Art did not only for the league but for Cleveland as well. It will be a celebration. But if Cleveland chooses to turn that into a dance on the man’s grave, so be it. They will then validate the opinion held by many that Cleveland fans have no class.

Maybe there’s a reason why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, built in Cleveland, enshrines newly inducted members during celebrations in New York.

Maybe there’s a reason why they filmed Major League II in Baltimore and pretended it was Cleveland.

Maybe there’s a reason that LeBron James skipped town – his hometown to play in Miami. Do you think Cal Ripken would ever consider such a thing?

These are the same fans who threw beer bottles on the football field at referees.

The same spoiled fans who had a stadium built for them by the NFL within 3 years of Modell’s exodus yet by November (pick a season), the game tickets are in such “demand” that a seat in the upper deck can be had for less than a pint of P.O.C.

These are the same heinous fans who tackled an 8-year-old Jets fan after their wretched team once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The Modell family won’t be embarrassed by the predictable ugly, disrespectful and hurtful outcry from Clevelanders. It’s what they expect. After all this is a family that could never return to this miserable town on the shores of Lake Erie despite giving so much to it because they feared for their lives.

But Cleveland won’t be the focus on Sunday for the Modells. They will rightfully, albeit somberly, bask in the glow of Arthur B.’s accomplishments and the league-wide affection for their father, their grandfather.

What Cleveland chooses to do is inconsequential to the celebration.

What Cleveland chooses to do will either solidify their reputation as The Land of Crybabies or they can turn the corner, be respectful and show the world that they’ve grown up.

The choice is theirs.

Maybe they'll surprise us.

But don't hold your breath.

LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

My guess is that it will be OK...Modell did win an NFL Championship there, but y'all no that-- Colts.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

These people in Cleveland are the saddest, most distasteful people around. I don't expect anything other than a prolonged boo of Modell by everyone in attendance not wearing green. I appreciate the NFL trying to give Art his much-deserved moment of remembrance and respect, but I wish they would have made it optional.

Like I said in the other thread, I hope they boo their faces off and every camera in the joint is rolling.

Maybe finally, the folks around the league will see these assclowns for what they really are.

5. Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I hope they boo their faces off and every camera in the joint is rolling.

Maybe finally, the folks around the league will see these assclowns for what they really are.
    I am fairly certain that everyone already knows this.
    Last edited by David Harrington; 09-08-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Damn! I fell victim to facebook connect!

Quote Originally Posted by David Harrington View Post
    I am fairly certain that everyone already knows this.
    Hi Dave, how are you?

hahahaha

Blog Entries

Well look on the bright side, they are playing the Eagles. So, you'll have two of the most classless fan bases in the same stadium.

I just hope the media doesn't glorify it by giving it a ton of media coverage. But I may be hoping for to much.

Blog Entries

That's exactly what I see happening. It won't be most of the crowd but it will be enough to get noticed.

Blog Entries

Class and Cleveland are two separate things. Let them be assclowns on national TV, doesn't hurt the Modells

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's exactly what I see happening. It won't be most of the crowd but it will be enough to get noticed.
    There will always be a few in any fan base who will stigmatize the rest. Most of the fans will be respectful.

They'll just never understand (or at least acknowledge) what Art did for Cleveland and the NFL. Piss on Cleveland fans that fall into that category. Long live Art's spirit and may he finally find his deserved way to the NFL HOF...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see bottlegate part deux.