Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall, MD
    Posts
    19,095

    Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?



    Some folks might have you believe that the NFL is making a big mistake by forcing Cleveland to pay their respects with a moment of silence to the bane of their woeful city’s existence, Art Modell.

    My colleague Kris Jones is one of them.

    Kris explains in a nicely written albeit off the mark piece that the Modell family doesn’t deserve what could be an ugly and overwhelmingly negative response from Browns fans during the planned hush amongst the crowd.

    Kris argues that, “To ask Cleveland fans to hold a moment of silence for Modell is like asking Ravens fans to do the same for Bob Irsay.”

    Seriously?

    For years Art Modell worked with government officials in Cleveland to build a new stadium. Irsay openly paraded his team to other cities like a street hooker sells her “wares” to sailors.
    Modell took over Municipal stadium, a decaying cesspool by the lake and in doing so helped to keep the Cleveland Indians from moving out of town not once, but twice. Meanwhile Irsay condemned the Colts home, the beloved Insane Asylum on 33rd Street, a building that hosted over a decade of consecutive sellouts.

    While Art Modell embraced troubled players scorned by the public Irsay scorned heroes loved by the community.

    Modell has been described by so many in loving and glowing terms (here are a few) while Irsay’s own mother referred to him as “the devil on Earth.”

    And while the philanthropic Modell poured millions into charitable endeavors for the city of Cleveland, Irsay poured gallons of gin and tonic down his lying and deceitful throat.
    Comparing these two men is like comparing the quality of Ray Rice’s character to that of his Rutgers teammate Kenny Britt.

    Later in his piece Kris Jones poignantly states that, “Paying tribute to Modell should be about a celebration of life and in Cleveland it’s all but certain to be a celebration of death. Arthur B. Modell doesn’t deserve that, nor does his family, who has to cope with the loss of a loved one.”

    Let’s marinate in that for a moment…

    Yes the moment of silence should serve as a small token of appreciation for what Art did not only for the league but for Cleveland as well. It will be a celebration. But if Cleveland chooses to turn that into a dance on the man’s grave, so be it. They will then validate the opinion held by many that Cleveland fans have no class.

    Maybe there’s a reason why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, built in Cleveland, enshrines newly inducted members during celebrations in New York.

    Maybe there’s a reason why they filmed Major League II in Baltimore and pretended it was Cleveland.

    Maybe there’s a reason that LeBron James skipped town – his hometown to play in Miami. Do you think Cal Ripken would ever consider such a thing?

    These are the same fans who threw beer bottles on the football field at referees.

    The same spoiled fans who had a stadium built for them by the NFL within 3 years of Modell’s exodus yet by November (pick a season), the game tickets are in such “demand” that a seat in the upper deck can be had for less than a pint of P.O.C.

    These are the same heinous fans who tackled an 8-year-old Jets fan after their wretched team once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

    The Modell family won’t be embarrassed by the predictable ugly, disrespectful and hurtful outcry from Clevelanders. It’s what they expect. After all this is a family that could never return to this miserable town on the shores of Lake Erie despite giving so much to it because they feared for their lives.

    But Cleveland won’t be the focus on Sunday for the Modells. They will rightfully, albeit somberly, bask in the glow of Arthur B.’s accomplishments and the league-wide affection for their father, their grandfather.

    What Cleveland chooses to do is inconsequential to the celebration.

    What Cleveland chooses to do will either solidify their reputation as The Land of Crybabies or they can turn the corner, be respectful and show the world that they’ve grown up.

    The choice is theirs.

    Maybe they'll surprise us.

    But don't hold your breath.

    LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @ russellstreport




  2. #2

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    My guess is that it will be OK...Modell did win an NFL Championship there, but y'all no that-- Colts.
    Way Down South in New Orleans




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    These people in Cleveland are the saddest, most distasteful people around. I don't expect anything other than a prolonged boo of Modell by everyone in attendance not wearing green. I appreciate the NFL trying to give Art his much-deserved moment of remembrance and respect, but I wish they would have made it optional.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Like I said in the other thread, I hope they boo their faces off and every camera in the joint is rolling.

    Maybe finally, the folks around the league will see these assclowns for what they really are.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I hope they boo their faces off and every camera in the joint is rolling.

    Maybe finally, the folks around the league will see these assclowns for what they really are.
    I am fairly certain that everyone already knows this.
    Last edited by David Harrington; 09-08-2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Damn! I fell victim to facebook connect!




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by David Harrington View Post
    I am fairly certain that everyone already knows this.
    Hi Dave, how are you?

    hahahaha
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Well look on the bright side, they are playing the Eagles. So, you'll have two of the most classless fan bases in the same stadium.

    I just hope the media doesn't glorify it by giving it a ton of media coverage. But I may be hoping for to much.




  8. #8

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Hi Dave, how are you?

    hahahaha
    Well... crap.

    I should probably just post under facebook connect since XM Radio as a sole entity no longer exists. At least the paychecks still clear.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by xmradiodave View Post
    Well... crap.
    If you want it deleted, just say the word
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #10

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Nah. I am sure it isn't the last time it will happen.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,033
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Like I said in the other thread, I hope they boo their faces off and every camera in the joint is rolling.

    Maybe finally, the folks around the league will see these assclowns for what they really are.
    That's exactly what I see happening. It won't be most of the crowd but it will be enough to get noticed.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,946
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Class and Cleveland are two separate things. Let them be assclowns on national TV, doesn't hurt the Modells
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  13. #13

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    When you say the name Art Modell, most people who knew him and worked with him think of a owner who had class. Which ever city he had the team in thought the same thing when the team was there. As a business man he had to do what he though was right like all other business owners. Claveland has an opportunity to honor a man who gave them class when he had the team in cleveland. Their hate only came about because city leaders failed to do the right thing with a man who did great things for the NFL. Most suck to hate a man who has a great reputation amongst his peers.
    In the end Art Modell will make it in the HOF and cleveland will still have to deal with it. Mr Modell succeeds again even in death to be known as a great icon in NFL histury, while cleveland does what it does best.




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Tampa, Fl.
    Posts
    369

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That's exactly what I see happening. It won't be most of the crowd but it will be enough to get noticed.
    There will always be a few in any fan base who will stigmatize the rest. Most of the fans will be respectful.




  15. #15

    Re: Can Browns fans keep it classy during NFL moment of silence honoring Art Modell?

    It's juvenile for those Baltimore Colt fans to keep bitterness over the Colts move when we have the Ravens now. It's even worse, however that this Cleveland Browns move get so much more attention as this horrific event.

    1. The Browns didn't leave Cleveland.
    2. Fans are just crying because their team has stunk for years while the Ravens are one of the best run organizations in NFL.
    3. It's the media that keeps fanning these flames. How many times you hear "Old Browns vs New Browns?" When the Ravens play the Colts, do they say "Old Baltimore team vs New Baltimore team?" No. The media thrives on exploitation.

    Bitterness does no one any good and keeps you a slave to the past. It also ages you, causes health problems and as seen in Cleveland, mental illnesses.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland