Results 1 to 15 of 33

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions



    Here we go again. Vilma already squawking.


    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/ey...ty-suspensions



    Edit: Suppose this is in the wrong forum, my apologies.




  2. #2

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Wow....this is huge, and now Goodell look s a tad less mighty.

    So what does this do for the Saints roster? I am sure they made their cuts to get to 53 players with these suspensions in mind.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of Pleasant Living
    Posts
    297

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Finally, Goodell got taken down a peg. Unfortunately, the players had the chance to fight the redheaded spokesape but couldn't stay strong during the lockout and came back with their tails between their legs. How can the guy be judge, jury and executioner?
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee





  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,496

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by middleriverterp View Post
    Finally, Goodell got taken down a peg. Unfortunately, the players had the chance to fight the redheaded spokesape but couldn't stay strong during the lockout and came back with their tails between their legs. How can the guy be judge, jury and executioner?
    Because that's what the players agreed to in the last CBA.

    And this does not knock him down a peg at all. The decision gets sent back to Goodell for a new punishment.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Land of Pleasant Living
    Posts
    297

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    That's what I was alluding to. They players have no one to blame but themselves, but it is a lot of power for just one man.
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less"--GEN R. E. Lee





  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    I bet Sean Payton wishes they had a similar union...

    It appears to only delay the suspension but then again that's better than nothing for the players. I doubt if Vilma plays this week though
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #7

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    It knocks Goodell down a little bit, in that he set out the punishments for a severe violation (that many thought were too stiff even for that violation), and now the violation has been massively downgraded to a mere "pay for performance" issue. It is going to be extremely hard to punish the players anywhere near as severely now that the violations they are being punished for are so much less serious.

    That said, I think it would be very interesting to see what happened if Goodell simply said he is going to suspend Vilma for the year, Hargrove for 8, etc, (same punishments) for the pay-for-performance violation. Would be another "gate" category controversy. I doubt Goodell is interested in that, and he will likely reduce them fairly significantly (maybe by 75%).




  8. #8

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    It knocks Goodell down a little bit, in that he set out the punishments for a severe violation (that many thought were too stiff even for that violation), and now the violation has been massively downgraded to a mere "pay for performance" issue. It is going to be extremely hard to punish the players anywhere near as severely now that the violations they are being punished for are so much less serious.

    That said, I think it would be very interesting to see what happened if Goodell simply said he is going to suspend Vilma for the year, Hargrove for 8, etc, (same punishments) for the pay-for-performance violation. Would be another "gate" category controversy. I doubt Goodell is interested in that, and he will likely reduce them fairly significantly (maybe by 75%).
    Well he offered 50% to settle so that may be on track. Any idea if anybodys been punished for that before?
    -JAB




  9. #9

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    The fact is he didnt have enough evidence to punish them to begin with, imo but certainly not that harshly. You cant punish people on heresay and public opinion. He can lighten their punishment but theres nothing saying the players wont appeal that as well, which i believe is their right as well as the federal judges say. I do think this weakens him and the owners stance that he can be everything but until they sit down and agree to change it, he is within his right, no matter how wrong he may be.

    I suggested that the players would win because from what i heard in the media they had no real evidence. I was crucified then for even saying that let alone for suggesting they may actually be innocent. Anybody want to step up and eat that crow?
    -JAB




  10. #10

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Wow....this is huge, and now Goodell look s a tad less mighty.

    So what does this do for the Saints roster? I am sure they made their cuts to get to 53 players with these suspensions in mind.
    First, this was an arbitrator's ruling. There is also a court case still in process.

    Second, according to the ruling, Goodell is required to "make an expedited determination of the discipline imposed for violating the league's pay-for-performance/bounty rule". In other words, he can't dish out punishment for any cap violation issues, but he still has authority to punish the players for helping to operate the bounty system. He could theoretically do that tomorrow.

    Third, there's nothing that indicates the teams will get a temporary roster exemption in case the players are "re-suspended".

    IMHO, for Vilma, this is akin to a delay because the guillotine needs to be greased.




  11. #11

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post

    IMHO, for Vilma, this is akin to a delay because the guillotine needs to be greased.
    Pretty much, but like I said, Goodell is going to be hard-pressed to keep the suspension lengths as they are, considering the arbiters rejected the claim that these players were intending to injure (or rather rejected the notion that the claim had been adequately supported by evidence).

    I think the smart money is on Goodell reducing the suspensions, probably significantly.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,938
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Even for most who think they're guilty, those penalties were way more severe than what we were expecting. A ban for a year, really?

    Agreed that Goodell will likely reduce them significantly
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  13. #13

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Pretty much, but like I said, Goodell is going to be hard-pressed to keep the suspension lengths as they are, considering the arbiters rejected the claim that these players were intending to injure (or rather rejected the notion that the claim had been adequately supported by evidence).
    I didn't see that in the article. Did you see it elsewhere, or do you have the full ruling?




  14. #14

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    I didn't see that in the article. Did you see it elsewhere, or do you have the full ruling?
    CBSSports has amended the article (I think a few times) since I linked it. Sounds like no one knows exactly what the heck is going on.

    Despite the confusing stories (ESPN, CBS, NBC), I think the gist of it is that the panel has rejected Goodell's authority (based on CBA? or lack of evidence?) to penalize the players for "paying to injure," but it seems to say that Goodell has the authority to penalize players for "agreeing to injure." This is different from what the CBSSports article originally said, as it did not clearly include the second category.

    "Paying for performance" is a way less serious infraction. But "agreeing to injure" seems to me to be pretty serious, so maybe Goodell will, in fact, keep the punishments the same.

    This may be an inane matter of semantics, whereby the panel thought there was insufficient proof that players were ever given cash to injure someone, but there was sufficient proof that money was exchanged for something (illegal but minor), and there was proof that players talked about (agreed to) trying to injure specific players (like a moneyless bounty system, which is also against the rules).

    I have no idea, and I am not sure any of these media sites know either.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 09-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.




  15. #15

    Re: Saints players win appeal versus NFL on bounty suspensions

    First things 1st: A link to the actual ruling:

    http://static.nfl.com/static/content...headline_stack

    Many here have speculated that the arbitration panel ruled "against" the NFL, based on their judgement that the evidence presented by the NFL was insufficient to support the disciplinary actions imposed: Based on my reading of the document (I'm not a lawyer, so YMMV) that's incorrect.

    The panel made no judgement as to whether the suspensions were fair or justified - simply whether they were handled properly. Specifically, it says that the commisioner has exclusive authority to impose discipline based on the "conduct detrimental" portion of the CBA (Article 46), while the system arbitrator has exclusive authority over discipline for any potential illegal bonuses under Article 14. And that the panel is unsure whether the discipline imposed by Goodell was based only on the portion of the CBA over which he has final authority, or whether he potentially infringed upon the System Arbitrator's authority.

    So the panel vacated the decision, but returned the matter to both the Commish and System Arbitrator so that either (or both) could re-issue a new ruling, presumably, with the Commissioner's discipline covering ONLY the "conduct detrimental" portion of the CBA (i.e: pay to injure), and the SA discipline covering ONLY the (supposedly) illegal bonuses.

    The players will be eligible to play until that happens, but this is far from over.
    Last edited by MarkS; 09-07-2012 at 05:29 PM.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland