Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Browns to honor Art this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by jefe96 View Post
    Oh they already have their arena, the media. Especially when one of their own puts out articles like this. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---f...d-s-soul-.html Nothing overly negative, but the timing of the article and the feelings that he's trying to pass along are pretty disrespectful and unprofessional. Plenty of vitriol to further fuel the hatred.
    I don't blame them. I still hate Irsay and everything connected to his drunken, lying ass.

Some random thoughts:

- Classy move by the Browns organization assuming they decided to do this with good intentions before the league decreed that all teams should honor Art
    - I'd have concerns about the fan reaction myself. Hopefully the organization and media implore the fans to take the high road and mirror the organizations show of class
    - That said, how would our fanbase react if the NFL wanted to honor Irsay? Hmmmm. Yes, I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but the bottom line is Art was a major cause (though not the only cause) of a lot of heartbreak in Cleveland. Yes, the fans got a better deal there than we got here (3 yrs vs 13 yrs and kept their name and colors), but lets face it, they still got screwed by Modell and local politicians. Art certainly was't the only guilty party, but the fans there certainly didn't deserve to get caught in the middle. So I have a hard time hating on them if they voice their displeasure. Let's face it, many of us would piss on Irsay's rotting corpse if we had the chance.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I haven't read one comment by a Browns fan yet that has been classy. Not sure how well they will "honor" Art on Sunday

A moment of silence would be a huge mistake. Rememeber the hush when Boller went down -- it allowed the few idiots who cheered his injury the opportunity to be heard. There ould be thousands of Clevelanders booing - ut gets contagious, no mater how boorish the behavior.

It would be much better to have a video montage of Art + Browns history, accompanied by extra loud narration and music. Drown out the assholes.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I hope they do try the moment of silence.

They will 100% boo, thus again showing how petty and boorish Cleveland fans really are.

And I am sick and tired of the comparison to Irsay. The only similarity is they were both owners who moved the team. After that, the facts of either case do not even sniff the test of being similar.

As everybody has already mentioned this won't go down well at all. On the one hand I look forward to the reaction and seeing how classless Cleveland could potentially become but on the other hand I would hate for this to dominate the headlines of the first weekend of football because we should celebrating it's return. The Browns FO is caught between a rock and a hard place. Good luck

NFL asking all teams to commemorate Art Modell's passing Sunday, reports @MaryKayCabot. Browns say they'll have "appropriate recognition."

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Is this just Cleveland or the entire NFL? Usually when someone of significance to the NFL dies, every game being played has a tribute prior to the game. Remember when Gene Upshaw died? I'm sure there are more examples.
    Upshaw was a nasty, dirty player and was hated all over the NFL, but particularly in Kansas City. I'm pretty sure they didn't boo his death though. KC fans have some class though.

I think the NFL executive office should have made this an optional tribute. That way the other 15 stadiums can honor a NFL groundbreaker, while Cleveland can sit there in there perpetual pout about how everyone in the world is trying to screw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

It would be much better to have a video montage of Art + Browns history, accompanied by extra loud narration and music. Drown out the assholes.
    Lol I'm chuckling to myself about this as I think about it. All the highlights would be in black and white because that was the last time they really had anything worth remembering.

Actually, they had some darn good teams in the late 1980s, but the memories of those teams would cause even more bitterness with the Brownstain fans, because those were the last years their franchise was relevant, and because of the horrid way those seasons ended for them.

That's surely Art's fault, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I don't blame them. I still hate Irsay and everything connected to his drunken, lying ass.
    So do I. However, even with the hatred I had for him, I still wouldn't have said or done anything disrespectful during a moment of silence after his death. There are numerous people I hate but unless a person is a completely vile and disgusting human being like Hitler or Bin Laden I'm never going to revel in or enjoy a persons death or publically disrespect them. Hopefully the Cleveland fans can be decent enough to not say anything. They don't have to cheer him but to disgrace him would be truly classless and painful to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

They will 100% boo, thus again showing how petty and boorish Cleveland fans really are.

And I am sick and tired of the comparison to Irsay. The only similarity is they were both owners who moved the team. After that, the facts of either case do not even sniff the test of being similar.
    Another thing I never understood....the out pouring of sympathy in the NFL community and media for the "poor poor" people of Cleveland. Those bottle-throwing haters are constantly being left at the altar by someone whether it be Art Modell or LeBron James. They and their city are undesirable, and not worthy of how the media sticks up for them, much like a big brother taking up for his little brother.

I don't recall Baltimore ever getting that kind of support.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I agree with this 100%. The circumstances were completely different and more importantly the men were absolutely different. Look at the statements from all the current & former players and the people who worked for him. Dozens and dozens of testimonials saying how he impacted all their lives. He was a caring and kind person. Most of his players thought of him as another father. You couldn't find two people in the entire world to say anything remotely close about Irsay outside of his own family.