Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Browns to honor Art this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Some random thoughts:

- Classy move by the Browns organization assuming they decided to do this with good intentions before the league decreed that all teams should honor Art
    - I'd have concerns about the fan reaction myself. Hopefully the organization and media implore the fans to take the high road and mirror the organizations show of class
    - That said, how would our fanbase react if the NFL wanted to honor Irsay? Hmmmm. Yes, I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but the bottom line is Art was a major cause (though not the only cause) of a lot of heartbreak in Cleveland. Yes, the fans got a better deal there than we got here (3 yrs vs 13 yrs and kept their name and colors), but lets face it, they still got screwed by Modell and local politicians. Art certainly was't the only guilty party, but the fans there certainly didn't deserve to get caught in the middle. So I have a hard time hating on them if they voice their displeasure. Let's face it, many of us would piss on Irsay's rotting corpse if we had the chance.
    BUUTT!! Would they have a new stadium if Art didn't do what he did? Their sorry asses should be kissing the ground on which he walked!

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    That said, how would our fanbase react if the NFL wanted to honor Irsay? Hmmmm. Yes, I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison
    More like apples to horse-apples. Irsay never, ever did anything to improve the NFL or help the players or the fans. He was a drunken liar who even screwed over his own family. Modell was the ONLY elected president in NFL history, he was practically worshiped by his current and former players, and was respected by thousands of other players who know how much he did for them via the TV contracts.

A moment of silence for Irsay would go about as well as I expect the Modell moment of silence to go in Cleveland, even though Modell did more positive things for Cleveland during his 35 years there than just about any owner, in any sport, anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Another thing I never understood....the out pouring of sympathy in the NFL community and media for the "poor poor" people of Cleveland. Those bottle-throwing haters are constantly being left at the altar by someone whether it be Art Modell or LeBron James. They and their city are undesirable, and not worthy of how the media sticks up for them, much like a big brother taking up for his little brother.

I don't recall Baltimore ever getting that kind of support.
    The 'outpouring of sympathy' you mention was much aided by Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter Tony Grossi, who also lobbied tirelessly to keep Art Modell out of the HOF.

Fortunately, Mr. Grossi probably won't be commenting too much about Mr. Modell's passing (in print anyways). He was taken "off the beat" this year by his editors because he tweeted that the Browns owner Mr. Lerner was "pathetic, the most irrelevant billionairre in the world" lol. Later he resigned from the paper.

http://www.cleveland.com/readers/ind...nment_was.html

Hopefully he won't be making any passionate pleas against Mr. Modell on the HOF voters board in coming years.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

I wondering what Signs they will be holding to be seen on TV nationwide further proving their Stately-ness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Admin Steve View Post
    Just heard this on Sirius NFL.

I can't imagine that's going to go well...
    Yeah, thats a really bad idea. I honestly believe a statement sending condolence to his family was enough. Cleveland is a really classless town. I have no doubt that its going to get ugly. AND Modell had no connection to that franchise. HIS franchise is in Baltimore.

The fan reaction in Cleveland will be as subtle as a wet fart in white pants.
    I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman!

the browns cancelled at the request of the family. right deceions. the clevelandars don;t have the maturity to show their respects for modell and if they did it would be hypocritical.

Blog Entries

yeah that was the right move, you'd think they would have known it without the family having to get involved but at least they called it off.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...milys-request/

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!