Ravens/Bengals pregame discussion

Baltimore Sun reporting that Upshaw and Yanda are 100% going into the Bengals game. ANd Upshaw dropped 10 lbs. Thats good news. IMO going to need them both.

Pitta and Dickson are game time decisions. Love to have both, but think Bad-jamma can fill in for a couple games if necessary.

Oh, and Considine is still recovering from TWO concussions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,3556819.story

Blog Entries

Re: Ravens/Bengals pregame discussion

Courtney Upshaw will be fine. He is clearly not ready for a full game worth of snaps, but he can be effective behind Albert McClellan. It won't take Upshaw long to pick things up. He just has the feel of one of those players.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

That's kind of how I feel about Upshaw too. I don;t expect him to step right in for JJ or Suggs.
    I expect him to be more like Kruger two years ago.
    He's a gamer and as he learns the defense, hopefully he will make some plays when given a chance.

Blog Entries

We where saying the same about Torrey Smith last year, and look what happened. I'm not saying Upshaw is going to be more or less productive than that this year, but I think with the dropped weight, he can at least rotate in and out with McClellan, because McClellan appears to offer very little as a pass rusher, despite being our best edge setter on the roster apart from Suggs of course.

Forget replacing Suggs productivity with Kruger and Upshaw. I'd be happy if they can contain.

We need to get Haloti to collapse the inside of that pocket. And send Ray and co. up the gut.

Wondering how the Benglas will be running the ball. Can Big Red be as good without the threat of Benson?

Blog Entries

The way I see things for this game...

The battle of the game is going to be our Dline vs the Bengals patch work interior line. Clint Boling, and Faine are going to have a HUGE fight on their hands to stop Haloti Ngata. I think Kemo is going to start, and if he can penetrate aswell as he did in the pre season, the Kemo of old is going to give Kevin Zeitler a welcome to the NFL moment. If the Bengals want to win this one, they have to stop Ngata, McPhee, Kemo, Art Jones, and Terrence Cody.

Lets be honest, the Bengals have a huge advantage against our OLB's and pass rushers. Andrew Whitworth has the match vs Kruger, McClellan, and Upshaw. Andre Smith showed last season that he can be a solid right tackle, so I don't expect much from an improved pass rush from our ends in this one. However, they can easily prove me wrong, our ends have to step up big time, and if they do, it gives us a HUGE advantage to win the game. We have to make sure Dalton has no time to toss the ball up to AJ Green.

BJGE is going to have a tough time running against a defense that is not so determined to stop the pass like he saw when he was playing for the Patriots. The only problem I see, is Kruger not doing his job and not setting the edge, which could allow BJGE to run to the outside and pick up some good yards. He isn't going to break out for a huge run, but our front 7 have to step up and stop those little short effective runs that he is famous for.

I expect Webb and Reed to be assigned to AJ Green, and this could go either way. Green is obviously a really talented receiver, but he couldn't get much on us last year either. Our corners looked gassed in the pre season against some of the top receivers, but they had no safety help over the top, plus Jimmy Smith and Cary Williams will be lined up against some lesser known wide outs, possibly two rookies in Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu.

The main focus however in this game will be the sugar huddle and Joe Flacco. Can the offense deliver against a solid defense in the real thing? From what we seen of it against Jacksonville, in the more meaningful pre season game, we looked great, and the Jags are on the same level defensively as the Bengals. If the offense can deliver, I don't see us having a problem winning this one. We need to get the run game established, as well as the passing game. I would like to see us convert on short yardage run plays, which we didn't do too well last year.

Blog Entries

Leach, I think your pretty spot on but I'll add one thing. The offense really needs to deliver TD's instead of field goals. I like Tucker because of his "franchise" kicker potential but he's still a rookie and his first real game is on one of the biggest stages of the season. I'd really prefer it if he was only kicking extra points. The Ravens need to score tds early and often.

IMO, the Bengals are too thin, and too beat up to make this a close game. The Ravens are coming into this relatively healthy, and I don't see them having a letdown on MNF, season opener no less. The lack of a #2 receiver makes the Bengals 1 dimensional and predictable. Last year, with Simpson, they were a little dynamic on offense. From what I've seen of the Bengals this preseason, they are going to have problems moving the ball on us.

Last year combined, Joe went 32/46, 69.6%, 394 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT, 109.0 rating and took 2 sacks.

He'll have a good deal of confidence vs. CIN's cover2. Torrey's speed helped him a great deal last year, as he in effect created a soft middle in CIN's DBfield. That soft middle will be Boldin and Pitta/Dickson's territory in the passing game and Rice's territory if he gets to the 2nd level on delays and draws. Jacoby's speed is a wild card. Taylor Mays should be and will be exploited, so I hope Joe's deep ball accuracy is on point. If CIN's safety's have to turn and run early then the 10-15 yard stuff will be there until the final gun.

CIN has good system guys, but I don't know if they will be able to effectively cap the deep middle (DBs), as well as get to their mid range zones (LBs). And if we get some play action in early then we may never see run support from those guys.

On defense, Andy will get blitzed relentlessly...especially if they can't get their ground game going. I like our DBs vs. their WRs/TE.

I think we take this one by 13 or better.

I for one feel that the scheme layed down by Dean Pees will be "pass rush" friendly. If that glimpse that I saw in the Lions game is an indication, it will be terrifying for opposing QBs. Reference the all stand up defense in that game with the moving LBs and DL walking around before the snap. It was awe inspiring and reminded me of the Rex days.

Blog Entries

I just thank god that Greg Mattison isn't the DC of this defense, it was bad enough even with Suggs. Think we had like 28 sacks or something abysmal in 2010.

Blog Entries

I cant wait. I know this isn't pick the score but fuck it. 31-17 Ravens. Our pass rush surprises, and we win going away. Flacco hits Torrey late to seal the deal.