Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Ravens 11th most valued franchise in NFL

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I wish someone would do a study on the Forbes list vs. what these teams actually sell for. We've seen the Ram, Jaguars and now Browns all sell recently. How close were those prices to the value that Forbes put on them?
    Right on your point, per Sports Illustrated:

Shahid Khan purchased the Jacksonville Jaguars for $770 million in January. Forbes values them at exactly that
    ===============================================================================================

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Thee other thing wonder is how the Vikings aren't dead last. They don't have any interest in their stadium. They supposedly have the worst lease in the NFL. Their debt to value is 33% which is very high for a team that doesn't own a piece of a stadium. How can any team be in a worse situation?
    Same article dispels your idea:

With new stadiums in the works for the Vikings and 49ers, their values skyrocketed. Minnesota had a 22 percent increase to $975 million

The Vikings & 49rs new stadiums demonstrate the point that I have made a few times -- to almost universal disagreement by other board members -- that Bisciotti will be making a play for major stadium upgrades in the next 5 to 10 years. New or substantially upgraded stadiums have a major effect on teams' values. Bisciotti - Severna Park boy, Colts & Terps fan etc notwithstanding - is a smart businessman who wants his assets growing, and is watching as the Ravens would continue to slip to the lower tier of NFL teams in value as his business partners grow due to new or upgraded stadiums.

By major improvement, I mean 1/2 billion dollar things like a movable roof, escalators, parking garages, cleaning up the old industrial area near the stadium, reconstruct direct freeway access, Sunday train service, perhaps an adjacent shopping/lodging area like Patriots Place or the new Saints plaza. The Vikings just got away with it -- the "obsolete" Metrodome: was pure NFL bullshit - it is a great place to watch a football game. The Rams stadium upgrade demands are similar to my predicted list and pricetag.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Imagine the crowd noise if M and T had a roof haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I think GOTA meant the comparison between Forbes valuations, before a sale, with the sale price.

Valuing something at X immediately after the market has determined the /value as X is not that surprising or difficult.

Does anyone know where Forbes valued the Jags as of 2011? That would be the thing to use if we were trying to test Forbes' accuracy.

Blog Entries

Both the 49ers and Vikings stadium deals are still kind of fuzzy. The county in California collected $30 million in a special sales tax for the stadium as voted on by taxpayers and then took the money for other things. There is a nasty suit going on over it.

The Vikings stadium revenues are as rough an estimate as it gets and the debt service is huge. Plus it's still possible that the state could pull out because it's not very popular. Forbes is really using a fuzzy estimate on that one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think GOTA meant the comparison between Forbes valuations, before a sale, with the sale price.

Valuing something at X immediately after the market has determined the /value as X is not that surprising or difficult.

Does anyone know where Forbes valued the Jags as of 2011? That would be the thing to use if we were trying to test Forbes' accuracy.
    Yes,

That's exactly what I meant. If the Cowboys were sold today would someone actually pay over $2 billion for them? Honestly I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

Sorry, I thought the Forbes 2012 number was independently derived.

The Forbes 2011 valuation of the Jaguars was $725 million.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

===============================================================================================

Same article dispels your idea:

The Vikings & 49rs new stadiums demonstrate the point that I have made a few times -- to almost universal disagreement by other board members -- that Bisciotti will be making a play for major stadium upgrades in the next 5 to 10 years. New or substantially upgraded stadiums have a major effect on teams' values. Bisciotti - Severna Park boy, Colts & Terps fan etc notwithstanding - is a smart businessman who wants his assets growing, and is watching as the Ravens would continue to slip to the lower tier of NFL teams in value as his business partners grow due to new or upgraded stadiums.

By major improvement, I mean 1/2 billion dollar things like a movable roof, escalators, parking garages, cleaning up the old industrial area near the stadium, reconstruct direct freeway access, Sunday train service, perhaps an adjacent shopping/lodging area like Patriots Place or the new Saints plaza. The Vikings just got away with it -- the "obsolete" Metrodome: was pure NFL bullshit - it is a great place to watch a football game. The Rams stadium upgrade demands are similar to my predicted list and pricetag.
    Some of that stuff might not be a bad investment for the city, if you can bring the O's on board and make it convenient for both stadiums. Assuming the O's can stay competitive, which is a big jump, you'd have revenue from it pumping in most of the year.

Edit
    Specifically, the parking garage(s) and the Patriot Place/ Saints Plaza.

The Forbes 2011 valuation of the Jaguars was $725 million.
    And Khan reportedly paid $770M.

The Browns were valued at $977M by Forbes in August of 2011. Haslam is reportedly paying $920M.

Forbes has been close, but not perfect.