Peter King's solution to pre-season rip-off

Check out Peter King in Sports Illustrated:

I sense the league is finally getting fed up with it. I don't know when it's coming, but I can sense it -- the 32 teams changing their practice of charging regular season prices for some of the intrasquad-scrimmage-quality games we see every August, particularly during the final preseason week.

I can't tell you if it'll be season-ticket holders being asked to buy only nine games instead of the 10 (eight regular season, two preseason) they now purchase, or if the price of the 10th game on every ticket package will be radically reduced. But I can see sometime this fall, once the officiating conundrum is settled, the NFL working on a way to not rip off the customers it says it cares so much about.

My proposal: Charge eight games at full price. Charge a ninth game, one of the two currently scheduled home preseason games, at half price. And the other home preseason game won't exist anymore; it'd be a scrimmage, on one of the first two weekends of the preseason, at a regional venue, for $10 per ticket.

King often has some foundation to his stories. There's some reason for hope to mitigation of the preseason/exhibition scam by the 32 NFL owners. Don't be surprised if this story grows legs.

If the NFL owners cannot impose the 18-game or 17-game schedule on the NFLPA, with concomitant reductions in the exhibitions, King's suggested plan would be the next best thing for us fans who help finance the NFLPA members.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Re: Peter King's solution to pre-season rip-off

That's actually not a bad idea. I was never a fan of only two preseason games. I just don't think that's enough to get ready for a longer season than before.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Attending an NFL game is an event, an expensive event and it should be worth the investment. The pre-season games should be optional for a season ticket holder. I used to attend Buc's games even though not a fan just to watch NFL football but with a family of four it became too much.

I spent a fortune to take the family to the 2008 SB in Tampa to watch the Steelers but it was worth every penny. Like everything else in life, let the market decide.

The NFL is as bad as the cell phone companies. Everything is a contract and if you change phones the charger connetions are never the same.

Blog Entries

yeah it's not bad, I've said a few times on this board that two preseason games and two scrimmages should be enough. Teams are scrimmaging more to get the work they need but they don't want to risk injury in games (more than necessary). I have to admit the only Ravens preseason game I watched was #3 when the starters played into the 3rd quarter. I haven't paid to go to preseason in several years.

Now let's get on with the real games

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The bottom line is this, they are not going purposely to make LESS money than they already do. For simplicity's sake, if they make $1000 dollars on the average seat for all 10 games, that obviously works out to $100 a game. What they will do is raise the price slightly for the 8 regular season games to $112.50 a game and the 2 preseason games they'll charge $50 ticket and people will fall for it. They are still going to make the $1000 for the seat for the season.

Blog Entries

Sounds like a great idea to me, but why would the owners go for it? Whats in it for them?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Sounds like a great idea to me, but why would the owners go for it? Whats in it for them?
    an 18 game season ;) with full ticket prices

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    The bottom line is this, they are not going purposely to make LESS money than they already do. For simplicity's sake, if they make $1000 dollars on the average seat for all 10 games, that obviously works out to $100 a game. What they will do is raise the price slightly for the 8 regular season games to $112.50 a game and the 2 preseason games they'll charge $50 ticket and people will fall for it. They are still going to make the $1000 for the seat for the season.
    ^^This. And it sort of makes the complaints of being "ripped off" sort of meaningless for season ticket holders. You are paying a price for tickets to every game (preseason and regular season), just because the stubs all have the same price is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    More butts in the seats buying overpriced beer and food.

Peter King's story may have grown legs. Two days after his story was published, Roger Goodell added:

Goodell said preseason is a big issue among fans, noting, "I hear that almost No. 1.

"I think it's probably fair to say people probably are not fans of the preseason," he said

Goodell said the league has discussed eliminating two preseason games entirely. "I would tell you that we're anywhere from a 16 and 2 format to an 18 and 2 format, so pretty much everything is on the drawing board," he said.
    I predict a compromise involving 2 reduced price exhibitions, a paid scrimmage at a nearby college, a 17 game schedule (a rivalry type interconference game, in our case perhaps alternating Redskins & Eagles bi-annually, with one of the other interconference games played at a neutral site e.g. London or LA), a second 2nd bye week, and expanded rosters. TV revenues from two more weeks of regular season will more than offset reduced preseason exhibition admission tickets. Players, who feel screwed by a tighter cap in the new NFLPA agreement, will gain half of the revenue increase and more team mates to share the load, and paying fans will be appeased.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Peter King's story may have grown legs. Two days after his story was published, Roger Goodell added:

I predict a compromise involving 2 reduced price exhibitions, a paid scrimmage at a nearby college, a 17 game schedule (a rivalry type interconference game, in our case perhaps alternating Redskins & Eagles bi-annually, with one of the other interconference games played at a neutral site e.g. London or LA), a second 2nd bye week, and expanded rosters. TV revenues from two more weeks of regular season will more than offset reduced preseason exhibition admission tickets. Players, who feel screwed by a tighter cap in the new NFLPA agreement, will gain half of the revenue increase and more team mates to share the load, and paying fans will be appeased.
    I'm OK with 16 regular season games, but full freight on the preseason jokefests has got to end.

Think about it - I am hearing people saying that they are *this* close to not renewing season tickets or selling prime games like Pittsburgh because the cost is killing them. Next year, a price increase is guaranteed. Imagine if the cost of the preseason games is reduced. How many people will back off the ledge? I think, a lot.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012