Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Hmmm....What are some of our former desired draft picks up to these days?

A thread I was reading, got me thinking about the draft and some of the players that we message board members really wanted, but who were not taken by the Ravens. What are some of them up to these days?

I think that the most notable, in recent memory, is Hakeem Nicks. In my opinion, Nicks would have been the pick if Oher hadn't fallen. The reality that it has not worked out as well as we've wanted it to, in my opinion, is not an indictment of Oher, so much as it is an indictment of the way the team has moved him back and forth.

There have been others:

Mr. Kyle Wilson CB, Boise State
    Mr. Devin McCourty, CB Rutgers.
    Mr. Justin Houston, LB Georgia
    Mr. Casey Matthews, LB Oregan
    Mr. Dan Williams, NT Tennessee (The guy Ozzie would have taken if he hadn't traded down for Kindle)
    Mr. Chris Cook CB, I forgot which school he went to. (The guy Ozzie tried to trade up for before picking Kindle)

We already know that Greg Childs is done for the year.

This is just meant to be an update thread. Feel free to name others that you feel the board went crazy about.
    Last edited by The Excellector; 08-16-2012 at 06:30 PM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Re: Hmmm....What are some of our former desired draft picks up to these days?

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma Sooners

A player I badly wanted and I wasn't alone

Bengals took him in the 1st at pick 21 and Ozzie traded back and in the end got Pitta and Dickson so well, what do I know

I still like him though, he'll be in the league for years and years

it's Kyle Wilson
    Cooke has an "e" and was from UVA.
    Gronk...
    Kenny Britt
    Dez Bryant

Blog Entries

I was thinking about posting a thread like this way back before the draft.

Anyway, no dispresect to Oher, but there is no way I'm taking him over Clay Matthews if we go back in time. I would have taken Grontkowski in the first round back in 2010 too.

Jimmy Graham is someone else I would have made sure I got. Imagine now having a two TE set with Grontkowski and Graham.

There are quite a few others too that have turned out good, like Sebastian Vollmer in the second round of the 2009 draft. Jarred Vladmeer in the third round too was always someone we will look back on.

In this draft, I'm not sure if I disagreed with any of the higher picks, apart from at the time taking Osemele over Rueben Randle. However there was a reason the Ravens drafted him, and by the looks of it, Osemele is surprising us all with the way he's been playing, maybe not so much the coaching staff who seemed surprised he was still on the board in that second round. In the 3rd round, I guessed the Pierce pick from a mile away, and was pretty happy with it. Not many people seen RB as a positional need until the absolute later rounds to compete with AA, but now that decision to invest a 3rd round pick on a talented (albeit injury prone back) seems like a great idea, with AA sucking so far in camp. Good to see that Pierce is back with the first team running reps. In the later rounds, I was hoping for a number of guys, like Marvin Jones, Philip Blake, and Nate Potter. But that was just my opinion, the Ravens know a lot more about those players than any of us, and there was obviously a reason why the picked guys like Asa Jackson over them.

Cook doesn't have an e in it.

Guys I wanted...

Kenny Britt
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Alphonso Smith (lol)
    Rey Maualuga
    Kareem Jackson
    Sean Lee

Dan Williams

Struggled with weight since coming into the league, broke his arm last year still might start at NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Cook doesn't have an e in it.

Guys I wanted...

Kenny Britt
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Alphonso Smith (lol)
    Rey Maualuga
    Kareem Jackson
    Sean Lee
    Pettigrew, how could I forget that.

And oops on the cooke thing..

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Pettigrew, how could I forget that.

And oops on the cooke thing..
    Yeah...I really wanted Pettigrew. I remember thinking getting a future replacement for Heap was so important that year.

He's been solid, but I don't think he has turned out to be the TE many of us thought he'd be.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Yeah...I really wanted Pettigrew. I remember thinking getting a future replacement for Heap was so important that year.

He's been solid, but I don't think he has turned out to be the TE many of us thought he'd be.
    I still think he'd be a better fit in Bmore. he's a heck of a blocker and a solid receiving option.

I remember the whole Flacco went down to UMD to work out DHB and the division on that.

I wanted Nicks out of the 2009 draft and that has worked out for the Giants.

Gronk was on my list for 2010 and I also remember Derrick Morgan and Brandon Graham as players I thought would make it to pick 25. Did anyone confirm that Dez was the target before the Cowboys jumped us for him? I can't remember that time period well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I remember the whole Flacco went down to UMD to work out DHB and the division on that.

I wanted Nicks out of the 2009 draft and that has worked out for the Giants.

Gronk was on my list for 2010 and I also remember Derrick Morgan and Brandon Graham as players I thought would make it to pick 25. Did anyone confirm that Dez was the target before the Cowboys jumped us for him? I can't remember that time period well.

I remember a lot of hope and disappointment during the draft right before and after he was picked. I don't think many thoguht it was conceivable he would make it to us,.

Blog Entries

I remember wanting Chad Henne :grbac: