Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Head Scratchers (pertaining to the roster)

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I also believe, Hammilton will replace Kindle after a few weeks if Kindle does does not preform possibly before the NE game.
    This. For sure.
    Kindle is extremely fortunate that the Ravens are so thin in that position.
    I think Hamilton's getting a crash course on the Ravens defense and calls.
    Then we'll see him.

I like this kid. And he's flashed 10x more in the preseason than Kindle.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The OP feels that some of the roster moves are questionable. Is Ozzie really above the point where he can be questioned? He's not saying the team is horrible or won't win. Why is there always such an attack dog mentality when a fan questions the coaches, players or front office? Yes they've won a lot of game but they also haven't won a Championship in over a decade. They are not above reproach.
    Dead on.

Blog Entries

Lets take a look at things from a little different perspective.
    Something like stashing players where we don't have to pay them.

Did it with Bulger AFAIK, he was keeping in shape at home in case.

Now we have Painter who knows the system, off the payroll but still available if an unthinkable injury happens.
    Same so far with Payne, he has some familiarity with our current system and is still "free" depth.

I expect Gorrer to get picked up somewhere, but if he doesn't, can't we see him as first man back if an injury happens?

We've done exposure moves in the past. Edgar Jones got released for his spot, then brought back.
    So did Cory Ross. (Yes, Pryce got picked, but maybe that was hoped for)

Things are head scratchers for me only because I don't really know one side of the equation.
    All I really know of Considine is the very little I've seen this pre-season, saw Omar Brown a lot more.... so the see-saw in my mind is absolutely tipped toward Brown.
    Same with Gorrer and I haven't even learned the man's name yet, all I know is it looks funky and starts with I .... I know that's a sad thing to say, but I don't really know (head scratching) why Gorrer lost out to him.... at this point I just have to sit back and watch and see.

I can however (as others have said) raise up in my recliner throne and say...I had better see some improvement on ST with all these great stars that have been brought in!!!!!! LOL.... but sh!t I sure hope we are significantly better.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Kindle made the team because of complete lack of depth in that position and he was a second round pick. Nuff said. more players were needed at that position and the options were zero. At least he somewhat knows the defense.

Dixon got signed because he might be better than Painter or Tyrod. From what I've seen of Painter and Tyrod in the preseason and last year, I know for sure that he's likely not worse.

Logan Payne had a decent preseason but was not better than Thompson, Doss or Williams. Payne will likely be on the market should we need him. Streeter is another project and there are teams that would be willing to give him a chance on a roster. Had to IR him.

Gorrer cut instead of considine WAS a headscratcher IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I still feel dixon is an upgrade over TT and could start if Flacco were to go down.

We may win one or 2 games with TT because teams dont know how to play him but once he is on film he is in trouble. at least with Dixon you have a pocket passer who can also make big plays with his legs
    Are you promoting this "Dixon over TT" arguement based one the one game Dixon started against us back in 2009? Don't you think that premise is a little flawed given the very little body of work? I consider the Steelers pretty good talent evaluators and it's telling to me when he can't beat out Charlie Batch for the back positon behind Big Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    it's telling to me when he can't beat out Charlie Batch for the back position behind Big Ben.
    There should be no knock against Charlie Batch. He stands head & shoulders above Taylor or Painter, and the Steelers obviously prefer Batch to Dixon. IIRC, Batch had our guys on the ropes with a quality performance in Pittsburgh in 2010, until a great Flacco-Houshmanzadeh TD play spoiled their party.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    What in the world is this rumor going around?
    The one about bcraven's sister in law getting a job? Or the one about the Ravens potentially signing the great Ricky Proehl?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Are you promoting this "Dixon over TT" arguement based one the one game Dixon started against us back in 2009? Don't you think that premise is a little flawed given the very little body of work? I consider the Steelers pretty good talent evaluators and it's telling to me when he can't beat out Charlie Batch for the back positon behind Big Ben.
    Batch is a proven backup that can get the job done if need be. The Steelers have a lot of faith in Batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    There should be no knock against Charlie Batch. He stands head & shoulders above Taylor or Painter, and the Steelers obviously prefer Batch to Dixon. IIRC, Batch had our guys on the ropes with a quality performance in Pittsburgh in 2010, until a great Flacco-Houshmanzadeh TD play spoiled their party.
    Sorry Charlie Batch is Charlie Batch. He strikes fear into no one. He's a backup for a reason. That game in 2010 was a defensive struggle. Neither offense was lighting up.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The OP feels that some of the roster moves are questionable. Is Ozzie really above the point where he can be questioned? He's not saying the team is horrible or won't win. Why is there always such an attack dog mentality when a fan questions the coaches, players or front office? Yes they've won a lot of game but they also haven't won a Championship in over a decade. They are not above reproach.
    Well, speaking for myself, I never said they were.

However, the 3 criticisms the OP presented are off base, IMO, and show a lack of understanding of why those decisions were made. Hence, my response.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    31 other coaches passed on Omar too. Gorrer went because he was our 5th CB and doesn't play special teams. The new safety is important because we only have 3 healthy ones on the opening day roster so we needed someone and he's easily the best available.
    :word

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Wow ... that sure is exaggerated! I don't recall anyone insisting that 1/2 personnel decisions were fucked up. The OP in this thread discussed three head-scratchers. Many Ravens fans would agree that the Kindle, Payne, and/or Dixon/Taylor moves or non-moves are questionable, meriting debate.
    T, he didn't say 1/2 of the personnel decision were fucked up or anything close to that......so that's quite an exaggeration, too!

He said people complain about "a 1/2 a dozen personnel decisions every year".

The point, I believe, that he was trying to make is that every year, it seems that people get worked up over back of the roster/PS decisions, but rarely have these ever been an issue.