Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The No Huddle Offense

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I predict that the no huddle is sprinkled in throughout a game.

Aside from the no huddle, I think that Cam added a couple of west coast types plays when you account for the shorter passes, slants, quick outs, and drag routes that we've seen in the preseason.

It's yet to be seen if this will carry over to the regular season.
    Adding them and calling them are separate things. The season will tell.

It will depend heavily on the on the field match-ups. If they get a favorable grouping against the defense that they think thy can exploit, they will certainly use it. If they get in a rythym with it, they will keep using it. Joe looks very comfortable in it and as long as they re keeping the defense on their heels there isn't much of a reason not too. It will be interesting to see how much it is used, and if it is effective, i predict a lot of "injuries" to opposing defensive players in order to slow the pace and counter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I predict that the no huddle is sprinkled in throughout a game.

Aside from the no huddle, I think that Cam added a couple of west coast types plays when you account for the shorter passes, slants, quick outs, and drag routes that we've seen in the preseason.

It's yet to be seen if this will carry over to the regular season.
    One would hope they would wait until they have advantageous match-up against the defense and break into the no-huddle to keep that defensive package on the field.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    The defense was better last year - and in a number of cases pulled Cam's chestnuts out of the fire (the Jets game for one).

If Cam plays "Marty ball" again then you can take Hensley's prediction of 3rd place in the AFC North to the bank. I only hope he doesn't.
    The D has been good every year, keep coming up with excuses to blame everything on Cam

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The up tempo offense is great and all, but let's not forget this team is best when it goes through Ray Rice
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by dandrews View Post
    The up tempo offense is great and all, but let's not forget this team is best when it goes through Ray Rice
    Get the opponent's defense backing up and you can run whenever you want.
    I do agree we need to be able to run, but...
    If you can pass almost at will, you dictate to the defense how the day will go.
    And we will be able to hang with anyone.
    If our defense drops off some and I believe it will due to Suggs being out, which means Ngata will be doubled every play, we will need to put up more points than any Raven team since Vinny.
    We have the talent now. Time to use it.

Blog Entries

running against a nickel d > running against a 3-4 or 4-3 stacking 8 in the box. plus rice is deadly in space. rice only benefits from running a spread no huddle. look at someone like darren sproles.

This is by and large a false premise. Ray Rice is a great player and the Ravens have depended on him alot the last couple of years. Lets not forget that the reason why the Ravens didn't advance in the playoffs the last couple of years WAS NOT because Ray wasn't involved in the offense - because he was. If was because Joe DID NOT HAVE receivers WHO COULD HOLD ONTO THE BALL. For most of his career (with the exception of Mason - and even he let Joe down in a big game as I seem to remember - and Heap) Joe's has played with a below average group of receivers.

I think that is going to change this season - but its going to have to come at the expense of Ray's "touches". You all need to get get use to that if want the Ravens to compete with the big boys.

I think Joe and Caldwell (of course with Cameron involved) will decide when to run the no huddle as the flow of the game dictates. Remember, we can talk about gassing out the defense all day but our offensive line will be just as gassed if they are not in great shape. I think Yanda, Oher, and KO can last awhile without getting "breathing heavy, bending over grabbing my knees and ready to puke type of gassed." Mckinnie and Birk (because of his age) I "ain't so sure about." If we rotate someone into the line if they are getting winded, this allows the defense to make their substitutions, basically voiding the advantage of the no huddle during that given point. The point nobody is talking about on this thread and most of the time when I see this discussed is the affect the no huddle will have on our defense. The no huddle is great when it is working, no doubt about it. Ask our defense how they feel about it when the offense uses it and goes three and out. Defense barely has a time to get a drink before they are back out on the field. I think we use the no huddle more than we ever have before but I think we will pick our spots...I don't think it will be installed in the gameplan per say (in other words scripted out when we are going to use it) other than to say we are going to use it and we will pick oour spots as the game dictates. We need to trust in Flacco (and Caldwell) to be able to "read" the flow of the game and see when it is to our advantage to use it in strategic situations. GO RAVENS!

Blog Entries

I'd like to see them use the sugar huddle as a stop-n-go offense. Huddle up one play, run the sugar huddle a play or two, huddle up a couple of times, sugar huddle, huddle...and so on.

You can really catch a defense unprepared, especially if you're able to catch them with a run stopping D while you run a deep pass package. With a healthy Dickson, we have the ability to stretch the field even without a three or four receiver set. Ray Rice has proven he can make plays if you line him out wide or motion him there. Boldin is a solid blocker at WR, so our different personnel sets are able to play against type to some degree.

It will definitely be interesting to see how much the Ravens run the no-huddle. I have a feeling that they will run it more against aggressive defenses. Also, they said they want to use it to limit defensive substitutions. So I think how often they use it will depend on what the other team is doing more than on some idea they have of how much they want to use it. And, of course, it will depend on the success they have.

It will be a blast to watch if it's successful; I just hope we still have plenty of opportunities to see Leach pancake opposing linebackers. That's fun, too!