Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 56 of 56
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Towson
    Posts
    1,189

    Re: We're gonna be good!



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That's another point, if the Bengals are so good, and are going to over pass us because we don't have Suggs, who exactly do the Bengals have bringing pressure from the outside? Carlos Dunlap is hurt.
    Dunlap is out for a bit, but not as long as Suggs and to date has not been an every-down player. Geno Atkins is outstanding from the inside, as you must realize by the way you worded, but they have a legitimate need for another outside rusher.




  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Not comparing... I'm just saying what's the difference between having Boller and Flacco at QB. Flacco made this team relevant. You can't deny that. I don't care if he "managed' the offense or whatever buzz word you have to use. The fact is he's won games.
    For the season in question (2008), Flacco was asked to manage games. That's the only season I was referring to. Was he a factor in some of the wins? Definitely. Did he "win" games? Debatable.




  3. #48
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Fair enough. Earlier in the thread i said if we make the playoffs it will be because flacco plays close to a brady/manning level. We will go as far as he takes us this year. And im one of his biggest supporters, so yea i could see it happening. But i could just as easily see us narrowly missing out. The roster just has nowhere near the depth this year as it did in 2010/2011. Thats my opinion, i dont think its unreasonable at all.
    I respect that but I just don't see it. I suppose we could have a year like 2007, where everything that can go wrong does and half of our starting lineup is sitting on the sideline by the final game.

    But IF this team stay's healthy, that's a lot of people that have to flat out fail for us to be bad enough to miss the playoffs.

    And I also think people are overvaluing Suggs just a little bit. All the "Ravens defense is going flop without Suggs" talk reminds me of all the talk when Reed missed the first 6 games of 2010. If we were to believe the critics our pass defense wasnt going to be able to stop anything. Teams were going to be lighting us up through the air all game long. Not only did it not happen but we actually had one of the best pass defenses for the first half of that season.

    When Mattison was the DC, WITH Suggs we had no passrush worth mentioning and still very average play from the offense and we made it both years. I guess my point is we've had obstacles to overcome before and we did it. I don't view this years obstacles as any harder to overcome than anything the team has been faced with in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    For the season in question (2008), Flacco was asked to manage games. That's the only season I was referring to. Was he a factor in some of the wins? Definitely. Did he "win" games? Debatable.
    It's not as easy as it seems for coaches to tailor a game plan that takes the burden off of a young QB and puts that young QB in position to succeed. Mainly because every defense you face knows thats what you want to do and will do every thing in their power to force you lean on that young QB to win. That's why Harbaugh's first year here was so impressive. Teams knew we wanted to run, rather HAD to run, and Cameron and co. still found ways to do it.

    Flacco had has share of failures when we were forced to put the game on his shoulders, all 3 Pittsburgh games that year. But he also had some success, we wouldn't have beaten the Titans in the playoffs without him. He made two of the clutches throws of his career on that final drive. That Dallas game, we all remember the back to back runs at the end to cap it, but before that Flacco hit a one armed Mason in the back of the end zone to put us up by two scores?, and force Dallas into an all out passing affair which our D feasted on.




  4. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Great points on the scheduling and div champs having 10 wins and not making it while the Giants went to and
    won the SB with just 9 wins last year, I think it was.

    Fans also worry about no pass rush. It disappeared at the end of the year and in the playoffs. We got by vs Houston because they had a rookie QB and Pags dropped everyone back. No room for him to throw, but they didn't get away with that vs Brady and he had a sore arm but we couldn't finish him off like Giants did in SB. They hit him and he threw all those balls behind the receivers. He still came within 1.5 mins of winning.

    Now we get him again plus both Mannings, Rivers, Romo, even RG3-lol. And we still have no pass rush to
    go after those dudes.

    It's quite possible we don't make the POs but we still made them more than anyone the last 4 years under HARBs always coming from
    within 11 secs to 4 mins from
    the SB.




  5. #50

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beerracuda View Post
    Again, we'll be one of the top teams in the NFL. The talent is there.

    If you want to know why people are so down on their team this time of year, you have to keep in mind that some sports fans would rather have that mindset. Face it, as a sports fan, you're disappointed much more often than not. That's just the law of averages. So some people would rather keep their expectations low from the start, that way they aren't as emotionally crushed if their team doesn't go all the way. It's kind of a defensive mechanism.

    I don't feel that way. I became a sports fan because I relish winning, and don't let myself get too down when they don't. My philosophy is: if you're gonna root for a sports team, root for them all the way from the start, with your expectations being the highest (within reason, of course). There's no reason to believe the Ravens won't win the Super Bowl this year. We have the talent, experience, and history on our side. There's no reason to believe we're not just as good as any of the other SB contenders.

    I can guarantee that most of our opponents fans are dreading the fact that the Ravens are on their schedule this year. They all have that date circled on their calendars as being a tough tough game. The Ravens have a 24-8 record over the last 2 seasons, and 44-20 record over the last 4 seasons. I'd be REALLY worried if my team had to face them. However, the team's biggest critics are their own fans.
    Great post. If they stay relatively healthy, this is an 11 win team in, mho. I can see Flacco with 35+ TD's and 4100 yards passing. The defense isn't going to have to do what it did in 2006 in order to make it deep in the playoff's.




  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    Rice wasn't the feature back. It was McGahee and McClain. And let's be honest - Flacco really wasn't asked to do much besides manage the offense.
    Your argument only strengthens Harbaugh supporters then. Harbaugh installed an conservative yet effective game plan in 08 with a QB who had limitations to his game, and it worked wonders.




  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Fair enough. Earlier in the thread i said if we make the playoffs it will be because flacco plays close to a brady/manning level. We will go as far as he takes us this year. And im one of his biggest supporters, so yea i could see it happening. But i could just as easily see us narrowly missing out. The roster just has nowhere near the depth this year as it did in 2010/2011. Thats my opinion, i dont think its unreasonable at all.
    Flacco wont be as good as Brady this year, so according to you, we wont be making the play offs just because of that. But you are forgetting that outside of Brady, we are a better overall talented team than the Patriots, with a much better defense (even without Suggs). Flacco needs to play better, and I think he will, but he wont need to play as well as Brady, and wont, he probably wont ever be quite that good. We had a top defense with not much pass rush in 2010 or 2009, I'm sure we will have a similar defense, but not quite as good as last year.




  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    4,505

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Your argument only strengthens Harbaugh supporters then. Harbaugh installed an conservative yet effective game plan in 08 with a QB who had limitations to his game, and it worked wonders.
    Where did I state I wasn't a Harbaugh supporter? Or that I didn't think he was a good coach? Maybe I will state my point in a different manner. Since it doesn't appear that this year's version of the Ravens will be as talented as the 2011 version, Harbaugh will have to make up the difference with coaching. That's all I meant. We have a great example of this right at Campden Yards. The Orioles have no business challenging the Yankees for the division, yet here we are in September and they're two games out of first place. That doesn't happen without Buck. His team is more than the sum of its parts. I would like to see that from Harbaugh.




  9. #54

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I thought everything was always Cam Camerons fault :-)

    And LOL at you guys who get offended when anybody makes a projection of anything less than 12-4. The team has some serious question marks. Nothing wrong with tempering expectations a little bit. Name another team in the nfl that has gone to the playoffs the last 5 years in a row. I dont think there is one. Every team, no matter how talented, has a down year every once in a while.
    I think you already waved the white flag so there's no need to pile on.

    Posters aren't offended by your comments but they question the logic behind them. I along with many others predicted the Ravens to win 10 or 11 games and they still might not make the playoffs with that record. This team imo is multiple in that they don't have to win just one way (ie with defense). Some weeks its going to be the D. Some its going to be Ray Rice and yes in others its going to be Joe or even a combination of all three. I also agree that this team has serious question marks but not necessarily with the pass rush but in ST coverage. If they give up field position in a critical juncture or a TD they could easily lose a winnable game. For some reason the scheme is not working and could cost them if not fixed. I think the pass rush and oline will be serviceable enough to not be major weaknesses. As for the secondary, this time last year, the Ravens were starting an unproven FA and a CB with promise that had been toasted in the playoffs on the most critical 3rd down in recent Ravens history (not to mention he was setting the world on fire). In the end these things figure themselves out.




  10. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    Dunlap is out for a bit, but not as long as Suggs and to date has not been an every-down player. Geno Atkins is outstanding from the inside, as you must realize by the way you worded, but they have a legitimate need for another outside rusher.
    Yeah, we also have Haloti Ngata bringing pressure up the middle. Geno Atkins is a fantastic player though.




  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: We're gonna be good!

    The Ravens are going to be fine even with the tough schedule. Flacco looks like he's built a lot of chemistry with his receiving corps, and I think Ozzie has managed to put a workable o-line in front of him. Rice will provide the cornerstone to the offense and Flacco's most important safety valve, and the O is going to take a lot of the pressure off the D this year.

    I think we still end up with a top 10 defense, and even possibly in the top 5 given we still have Lewis and Reed providing incomparable field leadership.

    This is a tough, resilient team with an outstanding coaching staff and one of the best front offices in the league. Other teams have to worry about the Ravens.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland