Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ravens sign QB Dennis Dixon to PS

Having the third QB on the PS seems to be their MO in recent years. Compared to some of the other candidates we have seen over the years (Hello Hunter Cantwell!) Dennis Dixon seems like a HoF QB.

I am surprised he had eligibility left.
    Last edited by Dont Know; 09-02-2012 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammar difficult really is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I love how everyone thinks Dennis Dixon would come in here and suddenly be the next coming of Fran Tarkenton.

You do realize he never signed with ANY team after trying out for us and not making it? I'm surprised he has PS eligibility, but I'm not going to fool myself into thinking he could back Joe up any better or worse than Tyrod. Both can move really quick, and that's about it on them.
    This. I thought Dixon came out the same year as Joe and Rice. How many years of PS eligibility do players get?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    This. I thought Dixon came out the same year as Joe and Rice. How many years of PS eligibility do players get?
    Eligibility for the practice squad is limited to players who do not have an accrued season in the NFL, or were on an active list (53-man roster) for fewer than nine games during their only accrued seasons. Players that have served two seasons on a practice squad are eligible for a third season only if the team has at least 53 players on its active/inactive list for the duration of that player's employment.

A player will be considered to have served on a practice squad in a season if he were a member of a practice squad for three regular or postseason games during his first two practice squad seasons, or for one regular season or postseason game during a third practice squad season.

From http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/8/3...bility-rosters

Dixon has only played in 4 games, and none in 2011. Not sure if he was on IR or what. It is a little remarkable he has eligibility left.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

PFT explains...

It seems odd that Dixon, who played in four games over four seasons with the Steelers, would have practice squad eligibility remaining, but his time as the Steelers’ third quarterback helps him in that regard. According to the CBA, “free agent players who were on the Active List for fewer than nine regular season games during their only Accrued Season(s)” are eligble for the practice squad and Dixon’s pre-2011 work was mostly as a third quarterback which, at the time, didn’t count as being part of the Active List and he spent most of last year on the inactive list as well. If it still doesn’t quite fit that Dixon’s eligible for the practice squad, just remember that his presence on the Ravens practice squad means that he’s eligible in the eyes of the league.
    So basically, by being inactive all those times, he ended up getting through a loophole.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    I have an idea!

Put Tyrod Taylor on the Practice squad and put Dennis Dixon on the 53 man roster. That makes a lot more sense than keeping Taylor as the #2
    Yes!!!!
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Yes!!!!
    once he has integrated himself into the offense, I certainly agree.

I really thoguth Dixon was going to be a star when he was in college... then he tore up his knee, and hasn't shown that at all. But, he hasn't been all that terrible either.

Blog Entries

Yeah, on Madden you could totally make Dixon the #2, today and win the Super Bowl if Flacco gets hurt!! So... the Ravens should do it too, yeah!!!

But............................ back over here in real life, guys need time to learn the offense, the terminology, develop chemistry with the receivers... you know, little things like that, which separate fantasy worlds from reality.

That said I've always liked Dixon. I think he has the ability to actually be a starter-quality NFL QB, though with a few years of not playing in real games behind him, the inevitable rust has probably begun to set in. If you're not getting games, you lose the feel of the game, and it gets harder and harder to break through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Yes!!!!
    Just because a guy is on the PS doesn't automatically mean the team would consider him for the 53.

Maybe he's just there to prep the team to play Vick in Week #2.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    I have an idea!

Put Tyrod Taylor on the Practice squad and put Dennis Dixon on the 53 man roster. That makes a lot more sense than keeping Taylor as the #2
    Yes!!!! Dixon has shown more passing skills than Tyrod, and has some meaningful NFL experience.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    PFT explains...

So basically, by being inactive all those times, he ended up getting through a loophole.
    That is interesting.

We were always going to put a young QB on the PS

Brantley and Stewart didn't make it, Dixon is a good pickup

12. Re: Ravens sign QB Dennis Dixon to PS

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I sorta feel like we just signed Tyrod Taylor to the practice squad.
    :word I know, right!