Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 128
  1. #61

    Re: Steelers woes continue



    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think the biggest weakness with Pittsburgh won't be their OL and it won't be their ground game or passing game. I think their biggest weakness will be their lack of depth in the secondary, but as long as Woodley and Harrison can turn up the heat, it won't matter as much.
    carrying only 4 DBs means if one player gets dinged they cant even play dime packages. an entire defensive set is voided. in a passing league i dont understand how thats even possible. Only carrying 4 WRs, is pretty much the same deal. They really are forcing the issue of running the ball, but acting like the rest of the league is under the same idea with their personnel choices. I think both of those are big issues and facing the teams we do this year theyll be exposed. I dont understand that thought process.

    their line is a pretty rough spot if you consider it the most important collective position in football like i do. you cant run, cant pass and your defense wont be rested unless your OL performs at least adequately. im not so sure theyll be able to do that for the length of the season but im sure theyll be able to for stints. Roethlisberger will make them better than they are, but only as long as hes out there.
    -JAB




  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,944
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    I haven't seen their roster but you don't want a thin secondary, minus Ryan Clark already, going into Denver this week and facing Peyton Manning. Should be fun to watch
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Here are their defensive backs (including safeties):

    Will Allen
    Cortez Allen
    Curtis Brown
    Robert Golden
    Keenan Lewis
    Ryan Mundy
    Troy Polamalu
    Ryan Clark
    Ike Taylor

    So, they have 4 corners and 5 safeties. Odds are in dime packages they'll have all 4 corners out there with Ryan Mundy operating as an extra safety in certain packages.

    It's not great by any means and it is a bit odd, but Dick Lebeau knows what he is doing.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I haven't seen their roster but you don't want a thin secondary, minus Ryan Clark already, going into Denver this week and facing Peyton Manning. Should be fun to watch
    It should be pretty telling how their secondary looks. It could be pretty rough for them because outside of Ike Taylor, none of their corners really have a whole lot of experience and against teams with multiple WR's (who can play) it's not going to be easy for them.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #65

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    It's not great by any means and it is a bit odd, but Dick Lebeau knows what he is doing.
    well that much is certainly true... unless you have a TE playing QB.
    -JAB




  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    well that much is certainly true... unless you have a TE playing QB.
    Haha.

    True.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When it comes to the Steelers I know 1 thing: As long as Roethlisberger is back there "limping" around in the pocket and outside of the pocket, they will be a team that can put up points and win games. He is - IMO - the best QB in the league after the play breaks down and he's forced to just make something happen. I don't know what kind of offense Todd Haley is going to try and get him to run and it may not suit his best abilities, but what I do know is that #7 has no problem sitting in the pocket and holding onto the ball for far longer than most QB's because he's 250lbs and extremely difficult for 1 defender to bring down consistently. Their defense might not be as stout as it once was, but I'd imagine that they will still be good enough to give Roethlisberger a few chances at a big play here and there during a game and frankly, that's all they need.

    I think the biggest weakness with Pittsburgh won't be their OL and it won't be their ground game or passing game. I think their biggest weakness will be their lack of depth in the secondary, but as long as Woodley and Harrison can turn up the heat, it won't matter as much.
    That's really what I hope Flacco can become for us, he may have to be like that this year if our defense plays like it did at times vs some of the pass happy teams in the pre season, and we're playing a bunch of them this year. I still wonder if Flacco is more like an Eli Manning, or if he's more like a Ben Roethlisberger.




  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That's really what I hope Flacco can become for us, he may have to be like that this year if our defense plays like it did at times vs some of the pass happy teams in the pre season, and we're playing a bunch of them this year. I still wonder if Flacco is more like an Eli Manning, or if he's more like a Ben Roethlisberger.
    I see Flacco as having a career projection more along the lines of Eli Manning.

    For years no one respected Eli and while he was never really lighting up the stats board, he was pretty consistent and showed flashes, but up until that 1st SB against the Pats no one really considered him a top QB in the NFL. Even after that SB against the Pats many claimed that it was Tyree's circus catch and not Eli that won that SB even though Eli was the MVP.

    Flacco isn't the statue that many think he is back in the pocket, but he isn't the elusive guy that Roethlisberger is either. So, I think they are two very different QB's.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When it comes to the Steelers I know 1 thing: As long as Roethlisberger is back there "limping" around in the pocket and outside of the pocket, they will be a team that can put up points and win games.
    The Steelers haven't really been a top offensive unit very often in the last decade, it's more that their defense keeps things close, and Ben has a knack for making a big play at a crucial moment. For the first part of his career, Ben often went 3 quarters looking like total crap in a 10-10 game or so, and then makes a huge play to a wide open receiver downfield, that breaks the other team's back. Then they'd hand it off to Bettis or whoever they had and grind it out.

    In more recent years, Ben has been more consistent and more capable of big numbers in a given game, but they don't really seem to be involved in many shootouts. Their big offensive point explosions seemed to come in blowout wins, usually where their defense suffocates their opponents, or gets a number of turnovers. When is the last time they overcame a huge deficit, other than the playoff game against us in 2010? I can't seem to remember too many of those.

    With the state of their defense this year, I think they will have to score more points. For all the talk of the Ravens taking a step back on defense, I think the Steelers are going to take a larger step back. If Harrison and Troy can't stay healthy, it's going to put a ton of pressure on their offense. The "playground" style of offense of recent Steeler teams is not equipped for scoring points in bunches, it's more "keep plugging and break a big play off at some point". When they get behind, like they did against the Ravens in week 1 last year, they tend to make mistakes. The playground offense works best when teams don't know what to expect, and when a team falls behind, and abandons it's running game, it becomes a lot more predictable. This is why the lack of a good line and running game are also key. It will be very interesting to see what type of offense Haley brings to the table this year when the team falls behind.

    Thursday will tell a lot about both the Broncos and Steelers.




  10. #70

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The Steelers haven't really been a top offensive unit very often in the last decade, it's more that their defense keeps things close, and Ben has a knack for making a big play at a crucial moment. For the first part of his career, Ben often went 3 quarters looking like total crap in a 10-10 game or so, and then makes a huge play to a wide open receiver downfield, that breaks the other team's back. Then they'd hand it off to Bettis or whoever they had and grind it out.

    In more recent years, Ben has been more consistent and more capable of big numbers in a given game, but they don't really seem to be involved in many shootouts. Their big offensive point explosions seemed to come in blowout wins, usually where their defense suffocates their opponents, or gets a number of turnovers. When is the last time they overcame a huge deficit, other than the playoff game against us in 2010? I can't seem to remember too many of those.

    With the state of their defense this year, I think they will have to score more points. For all the talk of the Ravens taking a step back on defense, I think the Steelers are going to take a larger step back. If Harrison and Troy can't stay healthy, it's going to put a ton of pressure on their offense. The "playground" style of offense of recent Steeler teams is not equipped for scoring points in bunches, it's more "keep plugging and break a big play off at some point". When they get behind, like they did against the Ravens in week 1 last year, they tend to make mistakes. The playground offense works best when teams don't know what to expect, and when a team falls behind, and abandons it's running game, it becomes a lot more predictable. This is why the lack of a good line and running game are also key. It will be very interesting to see what type of offense Haley brings to the table this year when the team falls behind.

    Thursday will tell a lot about both the Broncos and Steelers.
    Excellent post, except it will be Sunday, not Thursday.




  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,832
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Bump^

    Steelers sign recently cut cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke.


    He was cut from Oakland a few days ago.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    16,030
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bump^

    Steelers sign recently cut cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke.


    He was cut from Oakland a few days ago.
    Van Dyke has insane speed but he hasn't really shown that he can play football.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,400
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    It's pretty impressive that the steelers had statistically the number one pass defense when their secondary is so thin.




  14. #74
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Sorry, my hate is blind. Any other team I'll give a logical post, but not them. Blame it on the Steelers fans within my own family in which I have to defend my Ravens team from 365 days a year for the last decade and more. I'm a product of my environment and my brain cuts off. I pre-apologize for any future post concerning them. These boards are my therapy.
    I only have an Aunt and Uncle that I see probably twice a year who are Steeler fans...and they know not to discuss football around me during our holiday gatherings. Considering I've lived most of my life in PA, I guess that's not too bad to only have two relatives lingering in the dark side. Having Steeler fans in your family is a scourge on the family name...sorta like that relative who gets sent away to the mental institution.




  15. #75
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Steelers woes continue

    I'd rather have the relative in the mental institution...




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland