Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Steelers woes continue

So what have the Steelers done to improve their team over last year? Mike Adams is an improvement. Not having Mendenhall anchoring down that offense is an improvement, but those are both minor upgrades. Any news on James Harrison. Is he ready to go?

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    So what have the Steelers done to improve their team over last year? Mike Adams is an improvement. Not having Mendenhall anchoring down that offense is an improvement, but those are both minor upgrades. Any news on James Harrison. Is he ready to go?
    Adams has been horrible and replaced weeks ago, he is a project at this point.

Harrison has been slowly deteriorating and even if he somehow manages to play week one will probably be pretty ineffective. I don't even think he has practiced yet this year. Was on PUP up until a few days ago.

How have they improved? They haven't, they have gotten worse at a number of positions. A lot worse as a matter of fact.

Cap issues and draft issues catching up with them, and massive injuries on top of it all. Denver -1.5 is grand larceny for week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    Adams has been horrible and replaced weeks ago, he is a project at this point.

Harrison has been slowly deteriorating and even if he somehow manages to play week one will probably be pretty ineffective. I don't even think he has practiced yet this year. Was on PUP up until a few days ago.

How have they improved? They haven't, they have gotten worse at a number of positions. A lot worse as a matter of fact.

Cap issues and draft issues catching up with them, and massive injuries on top of it all. Denver -1.5 is grand larceny for week 1.

Willie Colon at LG is an upgrade over Kemoeatu, at least in pass protection.

At what position have the Steelers gotten a lot worse?

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    Willie Colon at LG is an upgrade over Kemoeatu, at least in pass protection.

At what position have the Steelers gotten a lot worse?
    Great qualifier there with Colon, a guy who has played in 2 games the last 2 years.

Ilb is worse.

Olb is a disaster.

Safeties are aging.

Oline sucked last year, and without Decastro and Adams sucking will be just as bad.

Corners behind Taylor are unproven, young and inexperienced.

Depth at ILB is non existent.

Depth at OLB is non existent.

Running backs are again, unproven outside of spot duty last year due to injury. Oh and every one has been hurt this preseason, including the projected starter in Redman.

Wallace months behind in football conditioning, with a FOUR deep WR core. Anyone gets injured there depth is again, non existent.

#2 TE suspended for first 4 games.

Fullback who was supposed to have bigger role in offense, done for the year.

Pass rush? Good luck. Woodley better have 20 sacks. Harrison is a shell of what he was. IF he can even stay on the field.

That was just off the top of my head.

That is so unnatural

I forgot to.mention that they only have 4 corners as well on the roster. Most teams carry 6 or 7.....for a reason.

Think about that for a hot minute and the disaster that could ensue if one gets hurt in game, or anytime for that matter.

Having a backup safety covering our 3rd WR (or anyone's) would be....interesting to say the least.

Great qualifier there with Colon, a guy who has played in 2 games the last 2 years.

Ilb is worse.

Olb is a disaster.

Safeties are aging.

Oline sucked last year, and without Decastro and Adams sucking will be just as bad.

Corners behind Taylor are unproven, young and inexperienced.

Depth at ILB is non existent.

Depth at OLB is non existent.

Running backs are again, unproven outside of spot duty last year due to injury. Oh and every one has been hurt this preseason, including the projected starter in Redman.

Wallace months behind in football conditioning, with a FOUR deep WR core. Anyone gets injured there depth is again, non existent.

#2 TE suspended for first 4 games.

Fullback who was supposed to have bigger role in offense, done for the year.

Pass rush? Good luck. Woodley better have 20 sacks. Harrison is a shell of what he was. IF he can even stay on the field.

That was just off the top of my head.

Colon missed 2010 for a torn achilles and 2011 for a torn tricep. He was a slightly above average RT before that and actually played OG at Hofstra.

ILB may be slightly worse because Farrior was the D QB kind of like Ray Lewis is for you guys, but he was a liablilty in pass coverage so Foote isn't a huge downgrade.

OLB a disaster? Not sure what you mean. Harrison is a question mark but we have two OK backups in Worilds and Carter. Granted Worilds cannot seem to stay healthy and Carter is raw but I think he has potential. Losing Harrison would be a huge downgrade though.

O Line sucked last year but we still went 12-4, and Colon as a natural OG should be better in pass protection.

Corners are inexperienced but aren't all young players? I don't automatically assume they will be worse than William Gay, and they may be much better.

Depth at ILB and OLB? Pot meet Kettle.

Harrison had 3 sacks last year in our second game, so his shell must be pretty good.

I think there are a lot of question marks with the Steelers, but there are question marks on the Ravens too. I'm surprised you mention pass rush because I think the Ravens have much bigger questions there than Steelers do. I mean you guys lost Grubbs, Johnson, Redding to FA and then Suggs the DPOY to injury. Those are some big losses (figuratively and literally.) I would say both our teams have issues to deal with, as do 30 other teams year in and year out.

You may be right, the Steelers may go 8-8 or even worse this year. The Ravens could do the same. You just never know, which is why this game is so fascinating.

I forgot to.mention that they only have 4 corners as well on the roster. Most teams carry 6 or 7.....for a reason.

Think about that for a hot minute and the disaster that could ensue if one gets hurt in game, or anytime for that matter.

Having a backup safety covering our 3rd WR (or anyone's) would be....interesting to say the least.

Well if you are playing with 3 WR I assume we would be in our nickel package which would put our #3CB on your receiver, not a back up S. We even played some dime formation in pre-season with all 4 CB.

I did expect them to keep 5 though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DkBlue View Post
    It was an ugly injury. I never saw a knee hyperextend like his did. It was a no contact injury.
    wow, as we know those can often times be the worse injuries. I guess in the end it's still a sport and there will be injuries no matter what.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

What's even worse for the Steelers is that their ability to gauge free agent talent is almost nonexistent with them never really picking players up in that fashion. Couple that with a thrifty owner and lack of recent draft success, it's as close to a early curtain call as you can get I feel. Their situation appears dire if they are really going back to running the ball and playing defense per Todd Haley.

LIGHTBULB, I wonder how much of Haley's playcalling that Boldin remembers, especially tendencies from his days in AZ. He may be a great help in the defensive film room the weeks before we play them .

WTF?

The Steelers are 89-39 with two Super Bowl wins and a loss in the eight years with Roethlisberger, and there's an actual conversation going on about how they're not particularly good at drafting or evaluating talent and their eventual demise?

Yeah, I'd like it to be true to. But it's not. The Steelers are literally a model franchise. One of two in the league. It's okay to hate them. But at least be honest about them.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    What's even worse for the Steelers is that their ability to gauge free agent talent is almost nonexistent with them never really picking players up in that fashion. Couple that with a thrifty owner and lack of recent draft success, it's as close to a early curtain call as you can get I feel. Their situation appears dire if they are really going back to running the ball and playing defense per Todd Haley.

LIGHTBULB, I wonder how much of Haley's playcalling that Boldin remembers, especially tendencies from his days in AZ. He may be a great help in the defensive film room the weeks before we play them .
    Reports of their demise may be premature. As far as thrift, they have one of the hghest payrolls in the League.
    Last edited by DkBlue; 09-03-2012 at 09:20 AM.