Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 30
  1. #13

    Re: Reasons for concern.



    Pees did not show anything this preseason actualy less than previous Ravens DCs so we dont know what to expect.

    Also, Cary played a lot of soft and off coverage which is not what he played last year, I expect that is pees not showing what he is doing in the regular season. Cary will be playing press coverage once the season starts. as for Jimmy he got beat a few times but it was more looking for the ball. last night he had good coverage but just fell down and that allowed the catch, had he found the ball and not fell down it would have been a pick.

    As for the pass rush, it all goes by scheme and we did not show much in the pre season. Kruger will be a great rusher as will McCellen. plus mix in some bliztes and we should be fine. All of the top Ds in the league mix schemes and blitz. I expect nothing different from us the only thing is we did not show any of it.




  2. #14

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    People also need to keep in mind that most players who are assured of roster spots let alone starting spots dont give it nearly 100% in the pre season. Cody is one of them and it has been obiv and thats why he has lost time to Kemo I think Kruger got a little lazy in games 3-4 as well.




  3. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    Getting to Qb on 3rd down and depth their. Trading away Barnes still bugs the crap out of me, that's what he does harass qb's and provides depth. One of the dumbest moves ever made by the FO.
    Totally agree. I generally like Harbaugh as a coach, but he seems to have "his guys" that he favors. The problem that I have with that is that such favoritism isn't based on ability or production, but rather on relationships. That stuff is crap in corporate America, and it is crap in the NFL as well. Barnes just wasn't one of "his guys" despite the fact that he had a skill set that the Ravens desperately needed. And now, a washed up player like Considine makes the team, based on his "relationship" with Harbaugh. Sports are supposed to be the ultimate meritocracy. Trading away Barnes is on Ozzie as well.




  4. #16

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    And now, a washed up player like Considine makes the team, based on his "relationship" with Harbaugh.
    You know this how? You have no idea how the man was in practice.




  5. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where Ravens Fans Roam Free
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    You know this how? You have no idea how the man was in practice.
    I saw him play in two preseason games, and he played like crap. Surprise, surprise, Harbaugh knows him from their days in Philly.




  6. #18

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I saw him play in two preseason games, and he played like crap.
    Thats 2 pre season games. We dont see him in practice and keep in mind he will probably be the #4 safety if he does make the team.




  7. #19

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    All of my concern comes on the defensive/ST side of the ball. I think the offense will be outstanding this year, there are too many weapons, and too much talent for it not to be.

    Now, I realize that defensively, our first unit did pretty good when it was out there intact, and that the schemes were ultra vanilla, nothing like we will see in the season. Pees is a very good DC, and aggressive. So the lack of sacks is not nearly as disconcerting as it would seem.

    But...there are worries...

    1. Paul Kruger. Last night showed me that Kruger has a lot to learn yet. Far too many times this preseason, he has gotten too far inside and allowed RB's to get huge gains sweeping to his side. I think he has the talent and physical ability, he just has to fix these mistakes.

    2. Cary Williams. He has looked terrible. Why he didn't sign that 3.5 mil contract is beyond me. Back to the ball, often two steps behind receivers, he looks like a rookie. Have to think they'll get him straightened out, he was much better last season.

    3. Courtney Upshaw. Many predicted him to have a sizeable impact this year, but it's not looking this way so far. He will be an integral part of the pass rush at times, so he needs to get healthy and step up.

    4. Sergio Kindle. I don't know what to say about him at this point. Looking like a total bust.

    5. Kickoff/punt coverage. This is probably the #1 concern to me. It's horrible.

    There are reasons for optimism too, but these are my five main concerns.
    I agree.

    I'd add Jimmy Smith in there...as mediocre as Cary has looked, Jimmy looks just as bad. Hard to imagine but he has even worse ball skills than Cary.

    As for Upshaw, I think the team had to take a gamble after he first hurt his shoulder. He needed reps, but if he played, his shoulder would never heal properly and if he played, he'd likely be playing all year with one arm.

    Was it better to let his shoulder heal and have him probably not have any reps before the season started or give him reps and have a rookie who's strength was his...strength, out there trying to make plays with one arm




  8. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Calvert County
    Posts
    2,281
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Agree with most of what's been said...

    My biggest concern is the OLB/DE positions, Kruger, McPhee, Upshaw, Kindle, etc. None of them have been good...

    Kruger has not been effective as a pass rusher and has failed multiple times at holding the edge in the running game...

    McPhee has been completely invisible, has anyone heard his name even once throughout the preseason...?

    Upshaw is apparently out of shape, was making little impact and is now hurt...

    Kindle is nothing, I guess he'll be on the team because of the lack of numbers there but he really shouldn't be, and shows how weak the position is...

    Mclellan has been the best of any of them, which again, shows how weak the position is...

    Ravens were dealt a really bad hand. I doubt they would have let Johnson and/or Redding go so easily if they knew Suggs would get hurt. They are trying to replace too many key guys at once with significantly less talented players and I think that's going to show, at least through the first half of the season.




  9. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,748
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post

    Ravens were dealt a really bad hand. I doubt they would have let Johnson and/or Redding go so easily if they knew Suggs would get hurt.


    Ain't that the truth. I bet they've been saying the same things at the castle
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #22
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    4,816
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Agree with most of what's been said...

    My biggest concern is the OLB/DE positions, Kruger, McPhee, Upshaw, Kindle, etc. None of them have been good...

    Kruger has not been effective as a pass rusher and has failed multiple times at holding the edge in the running game...

    McPhee has been completely invisible, has anyone heard his name even once throughout the preseason...?

    Upshaw is apparently out of shape, was making little impact and is now hurt...

    Kindle is nothing, I guess he'll be on the team because of the lack of numbers there but he really shouldn't be, and shows how weak the position is...

    Mclellan has been the best of any of them, which again, shows how weak the position is...

    Ravens were dealt a really bad hand. I doubt they would have let Johnson and/or Redding go so easily if they knew Suggs would get hurt. They are trying to replace too many key guys at once with significantly less talented players and I think that's going to show, at least through the first half of the season.
    Did they really have a choice? Where would the cap space to keep them come from?




  11. #23

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    There is a couple reasons im optimistic about the pass rush...

    1. Dean Pees...Every comment i've read from a Raven coach or player has raved about his intelligence and ability to disguise. I think he's gonna do a great job scheming pressure

    2. More snaps for Mcphee

    3. Mcclellan, Upshaw(eventually)...For as good a player as JJ was he started to offer nothing as a pass rusher. We will miss him abundantly as a edge setter and run defender but either of these guys have a bit more pep as pass rushers


    The ST coverage concerns me, as TL has pointed out many times...how long is Rosburg gonna get a pass if the ST does improve this year?




  12. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Reasons for concern.

    Some people will never learn their lesson that pre season is pre season.

    Still, I think there are some concerns with a few players. I still think we desperately need pass rush help from somewhere else.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland