Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Upshaw to the IR???

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    The problem with Bama players or these college factories is that everyone playing next to you is of NFL caliber talent, so you get multiple 1 on 1 matchups each play against players that aren't NFL caliber. And then what happens, the highlight sack, or INT. You don't get a true representation of how individually talented these guys are and they naturally get overhyped. That's why some of them flop in the NFL. Compare that with Ngata. Oregon's D was not very talented as a unit when he was in college, but he kept making plays even when doubled and tripled teamed.
    Colin Cowherd made this point on the radio -- he went thru the QBs in the NFL and what school they played at, and how good the team was at the time. A lot of these Heisman/USC /Texas / Oklahoma types (Leinart, McCoy, Josh Heupel, Jason White...) only look good because they have all day behind all american linemen, to throw to blue chip WRs.

Then he pointed out how many QBs came from schools like East Carolina (Blake, Garrard, etc.) and 1-AA (Flacco, Romo, etc), Rapistburger (Miami Ohio), Fitzpatrick (Harvard), Dalton (TCU), two from NC State, and others from schools like Virginia, Virginia Tech, Houston, Missouri, Boston College, etc. Its right around half that didn't go to the USC/Texas/LSU/Oklahoma types that start in the NFL, and it's because they've had to succeed amidst parity, or even amidst a disadvantage, and were talented enough to overcome it. Players who are used to having a talent advantage can't adjust to being on an average team or worse, a bad team, and don't have the experience overcoming it.

A simplification, but always worth noting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Colin Cowherd made this point on the radio -- he went thru the QBs in the NFL and what school they played at, and how good the team was at the time. A lot of these Heisman/USC /Texas / Oklahoma types (Leinart, McCoy, Josh Heupel, Jason White...) only look good because they have all day behind all american linemen, to throw to blue chip WRs.

Then he pointed out how many QBs came from schools like East Carolina (Blake, Garrard, etc.) and 1-AA (Flacco, Romo, etc), Rapistburger (Miami Ohio), Fitzpatrick (Harvard), Dalton (TCU), two from NC State, and others from schools like Virginia, Virginia Tech, Houston, Missouri, Boston College, etc. Its right around half that didn't go to the USC/Texas/LSU/Oklahoma types that start in the NFL, and it's because they've had to succeed amidst parity, or even amidst a disadvantage, and were talented enough to overcome it. Players who are used to having a talent advantage can't adjust to being on an average team or worse, a bad team, and don't have the experience overcoming it.

A simplification, but always worth noting.
    There definitely is something to this. I don't think it is applicable to a lot of positions because sometimes you have guys who just can't play at the NFL level...i.e. Davon Drew.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I think no FO is perfect. Our FO is better than most and after blowing it on WRs all these years, they seem to have gotten over that. I feel that is the ebb and flow of the league in general. The projections are such a crap shoot on what players will end up becoming. Ask the Steelers about their recent lack of success. It hits the best of them.

I'm thankful that in a pass driven league, we have at least found a franchise QB and an elite RB. It was a matter of time before the defense would fall back, such is the league.

Upshaw will come around, just not immediately.

Very few pass rushes out of college make a an impact right away in the NFL Suggs and JPP on the Giants are 2 of the only execeptions i can think of. Everyone else even taken in the 1st round or 2nd round early has taken a year or 2 to develop into a solid pass rusher as there is a big difference vs College.

Upshaw needs to get to 270 at the highest hopefully 265 and retain stregnth that will help with his speed and allow him to bull rush as well. He did not show up out of shape, just at the weight he is used to playing at and not the weight for what he was going to play in our system.

He will be productive, i cant name one player we took from bama who was not a success.

And for all the Cody bashers, he looked like he took A LOT of plays off and in the pre season when you are guaranteed a roster spot and probably a starting spot you can do this. Kruger did the same, and it is clearly obiv if you watched this pre season vs last years reg season on those 2 players. Its easy to see they were giving it way less than 100%

Blog Entries

Aldon Smith, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan...
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

During the draft I said I was not interested in Upshaw and was rooting for the Ravens to grab his teammate at Bama, Hightower, instead. Hightower is a player who is not as physically gifted as Upshaw, but who I deemed more instinctive and a future star.

Anyone seen reports on Hightower coming out of Patriots camp?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    During the draft I said I was not interested in Upshaw and was rooting for the Ravens to grab his teammate at Bama, Hightower, instead. Hightower is a player who is not as physically gifted as Upshaw, but who I deemed more instinctive and a future star.

Anyone seen reports on Hightower coming out of Steelers camp?
    ?

I knew he was with the Pats, and changed it as soon as I posted it. But thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Aldon Smith, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan...
    I agree with the first 2, Kerrigan was not a stud his rookie year.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    I agree with the first 2, Kerrigan was not a stud his rookie year.
    Dude Kerrigan was a monster playing opposite Orakpo. Not sure if you saw any Skin's games...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Dude Kerrigan was a monster playing opposite Orakpo. Not sure if you saw any Skin's games...
    You're right. Kerrigan looked great. He's one rookie who really lived up to the hype. 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and a pick! That's an impact player

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post

Anyone seen reports on Hightower coming out of Patriots camp?
    To answer your question Hightower has looked great. They even moved Mayo outside for him. Hightower looked so good I drafted him in my IDP this year. I really thought that Upshaw would be the better pro. That may still be the case but that bar has been raised a lot higher by Hightower's play