Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Re: 2012 Ravens Record?

I don't look at the schedule when trying to predict how the team is going to do. Invariably, it seems like they beat someone they perhaps shouldn't have and lose a game they should have. We shouldn't have beaten San Diego the year Ray stuffed Sproles to seal the game, but a crazy performance by Flacco and a defense showing that being great also means being able to gut out getting burned to still step and make plays pulled it out.

Instead, I just try to get a feel for how good I think the team is and express that in wins and losses. This is a very good Ravens squad, imo. The offense looks better than it has since Testaverde was under center, and Flacco doesn't have Vinnie's knack for tossing game-losing touchdowns. We have a good receiving corps, imo. The O-line looks better out of the starting gate than they did last year, though I don't rate them much better than average when it comes to O-lines. Some very good pieces, but the overall isn't dominant by any stretch. Ray Rice is Ray Rice. He's one of the best players in the game and a threat to score from anywhere on the field running or passing. Boldin is like having a fullback playing wide receiver: he punishes secondaries. Smith and Jones are serious downfield threats. More Smith than Jones, but our three-receiver sets are going to give defenses fits. Cameron can run the old Gibbs version of the Coryell with three receivers and a tight-end and cause match-up problems for any defense the other team uses to stop it: 3-4, 4-3, nickel...whatever. It's a power formation that stretch the field, especially with Boldin's ability to block downfield. We don't have a TE that can block quite like Donnie Warren could for those Gibbs teams, but our TE's aren't terrible blockers. The only problem with that formation is it takes Leach off the field, so I don't want to see a lot of it, but mixing it in, especially coupled with the sugar huddle, will do a lot to keep defenses off-balance.

Defensively, I don't think we have a dominant defense quite like we're used to seeing, but they're going to be good. We have good young players and two of the best defensive leaders in the history of the game in Lewis and Reed. Lewis is a lot like Gino Marchetti was: a leader who is respected by his colleagues across the league. Mattison gets a lot of (undeserved, imo) heat among Ravens fans, but he had a shaky secondary to protect. He still managed to lead a top 10 defense. Our secondary isn't shaky. It'll get burned at times, a natural consequence of having young corners, but Webb is a gamebreaker and Reed is still a force to be feared.

The pass rush worries a lot, and I, too, have concerns. There's no way to paint losing Suggs as a positive. But Kruger, McPhee are solid young players who are still improving, and Pees has a history of creativity and adroit use of talent. Lewis is a better pass rusher than most consider because he's always been so dominant against the run and solid in coverage. He's not been asked to blitz often in his career, but I think that changes this year.

I think both units finish in the top 10 this year, which bodes well in the W-L consideration. I think they go 12-4 and win the division. Unfortunately, I think that means that we'll again have to go through someone else's house to get to the Super Bowl.

League-wide predictions:

AFC
    Division Champs
    Patriots
    Steelers
    Texans
    Chargers
    Wild Card
    Ravens
    Jets

NFC
    Division Champs
    Eagles
    Packers
    Falcons
    49ers
    Wild Card
    Cowboys
    Bears

Super Bowl
    Ravens vs 49ers
    Champion
    Ravens

P.S. Posting a bit late but I 'freeze-dried' my picks earlier this past week (before the Dallas-NYG game on 9/5).

Calling for 9-7. Probably win a couple games they shouldn't, but might also lose a couple they shouldn't. I know the latter goes against the Harbaugh-era Ravens' M.O., but if yesterday's action is any indication, it's already looking like it's going to be one of those kinds of wacky years, so they could be ripe for an upset or two.

Whether that's enough to get into the playoffs, who knows...it'll definitely be earned, that's for sure.

Can't quantify how big Suggs' absence is going to be. Just his presence changes the game significantly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 47 View Post
    Calling for 9-7. Probably win a couple games they shouldn't, but might also lose a couple they shouldn't. I know the latter goes against the Harbaugh-era Ravens' M.O., but if yesterday's action is any indication, it's already looking like it's going to be one of those kinds of wacky years, so they could be ripe for an upset or two.

Whether that's enough to get into the playoffs, who knows...it'll definitely be earned, that's for sure.

Can't quantify how big Suggs' absence is going to be. Just his presence changes the game significantly.
    There aren't many teams even on this schedule that would be called "upsets" if we where to win. The Ravens are rarely underdogs against teams, I guess the Patriots, and the Texans are probably considered the favourites. But everyone else, you'd probably look at those games and say, yeah the Ravens should win this one.

Obviously as you said, we will lose some games that we shouldn't, but I doubt we will go 9-7 either.

I am normally a massive homer with my predictions, and really hope we roll to a 14 win type season, but I am super negative right now. Maybe I still have just not got over the AFCCG. The o-line is shaping up to be a disaster for 2012. I am glad we drafted KO and GG, but Birk is done IMO, not expecting much from Bobby Williams and hate how we have handled the MO/BM/KO situation. Also, the pass rush is too weak (on paper) in a divison/conference where it is vital to get after the QB. Those 2 things are too much to overcome. I hope I am VERY wrong, but 8-8.

A convincing win tonight can change my opinion quickly though :) LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO