Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FoxSports Most Overrated

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/2...photo=31278605

1. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers There was, arguably, no more important defensive player to any one team than Polamalu was to the Steelers in the years 2006-10. But Polamalu’s not the player he once was. His 2011 season was average, at best, and after a career of being the first one in on every tackle, he looked a few steps slower and a lot less intimidating. He’s still a fan favorite and he still has a knack for the big play, but this is simply not the same guy who was leaping over the line of scrimmage and altering games for half a decade.
    2. Matt Ryan, QB, Falcons The easy quarterbacks to put on this list are Tim Tebow and Tony Romo. They get a ton of media coverage, and each players has only one career playoff win. Well, that’s one more than Matt Ryan. He’s considered an elite quarterback for reasons unbeknownst to me. He has two incredible wide receivers, a Hall of Fame tight end, a solid offensive line and a fleet of capable running backs. Yet, the Falcons have been embarrassed and blown out of the playoffs in three of the past four seasons. Ryan gets drooled over by the media (especially when his games are on national TV) and is one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in football. It’s time for him to step up and win a game that matters.
    The bolded is always what bothered me when debating with people about Ryan v.s. Flacco, our Defense is quickly brought up as the only reason Flacco is successful but they fail to realize Ryan has had more weapons (and a dome) for his whole career and was still SHUT OUT in Playoff game

Re: FoxSports Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/lists/2...photo=31278605

The bolded is always what bothered me when debating with people about Ryan v.s. Flacco, our Defense is quickly brought up as the only reason Flacco is successful but they fail to realize Ryan has had more weapons (and a dome) for his whole career and was still SHUT OUT in Playoff game
    Ryan is getting his this year, people aren't drinking koolaid with Matty Ice in it anymore at this point. He didn't make NFL Network's top 100 players list and he wasn't in the top ten on Ron Jaworski's top 30 QB list (Joe was number 9).

Blog Entries

I would expect Matt Ryan to have a better season than in year's past. How has he looked this preseason, other than against the Ravens week 1?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How has he looked this preseason, other than against the Ravens week 1?
    Fantastic, himself and Julio Jones tearing it up

The Ravens game wasn't a once off, they've kept it going

I can buy both guys making a list of this type, but not at the very top of it. Troy P still makes a ton of plays. He can be exposed in coverage if you can block the OLBs, but I think he is still the best SS in the NFL.
    I never thought Matty Ice was better than Flacco, but he is a top 8-12 Qb depending on how you stack them and is hardly a scrub or anything.

:T2:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I can buy both guys making a list of this type, but not at the very top of it. Troy P still makes a ton of plays. He can be exposed in coverage if you can block the OLBs, but I think he is still the best SS in the NFL.
    I never thought Matty Ice was better than Flacco, but he is a top 8-12 Qb depending on how you stack them and is hardly a scrub or anything.

:word

Not sure if I'd put Troy # 1. I guess it's because he is the most hyped out of the list. But I agree with both. Especially Ryan. People act like Ryan carries a bad defense. Truth is his defense was best in that division last year. And it sure as hell didn't lose them that playoff game. They kept them very in it until the 2nd half when a team is eventually bond to score. They're a middle of the pack defense mainly points allowed which really is most important. He plays in a dome, plays against weak defenses on a regular, has talented weapons all around him yet his stats aren't far off from Joe's and doesn't nearly get the same criticism even after still not winning a playoff game. He does have a new coordinator and their offense seems like it will be better this year likes ours but I still don't see them going deep in the playoffs. Defenses get better playoff time and that's when you see Ryan struggle.
    Last edited by scbgirlxo; 08-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I would expect Matt Ryan to have a better season than in year's past. How has he looked this preseason, other than against the Ravens week 1?
    His usual fantastic because the game isn't important and only great in a dome self. Like someone said, he's not bad by no means, but in no way warrants the love he gets. I personally think that they love him more because of what Vick did to that franchise.
    Last edited by Stealthbirds80; 08-27-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Blog Entries

It's interesting to see someone other than myself think Polamalu is overrated. I think he's a really good safety and a playmaker, I just don't believe he belongs in the same category as Ed Reed. Ed Reed, the way he plays, would be an elite player no matter what team he played for in the NFL. He's that special. If Polamalu played for say the Buffalo Bills, does anyone truly believe he'd be as highly thought of or as popular? I surely dont.

I agree with most of that, put Troy on the Bills and he likely becomes Adrian Wilson. I also think Ed is acut above and makes the HOF pretty much anywhere, but it is certainly a huge benefit to play on the Raven defense for all those years.

:T2:

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

J-l-m-birds--
    I never put much stock into these types of lists, but I admit I like to read them, and then follow the discussion of opinions on who should and should not be on them.

And BTW, I chuckled when I read your thread title. It's definitely worthy of a whole separate thread with the same name!!!;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    And BTW, I chuckled when I read your thread title. It's definitely worthy of a whole separate thread with the same name!!!;)
    Thought the same thing myself, but maybe not Most

Fox Sports Very Overrated :D
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old