Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Hey mommatheregoesthatman - I'll eat some Crow.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-quarterback/

Hey - I'm not ashamed to admit when I was wrong. You called Russell Wilson being an impact in the NFL and you were right. All that money they paid for Matt Flynn only to go with Wilson as their starting QB.

I still don't agree that the Ravens should have drafted him and I am glad they didn't because Flacco is the man, but he has been impressive from the games I have watched him play up in Seattle. Looks like they may have a good one up there. Hope he finds success cause he seems like a good guy.

Cheers,
    WS.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: Hey mommatheregoesthatman - I'll eat some Crow.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-quarterback/

Hey - I'm not ashamed to admit when I was wrong. You called Russell Wilson being an impact in the NFL and you were right. All that money they paid for Matt Flynn only to go with Wilson as their starting QB.

I still don't agree that the Ravens should have drafted him and I am glad they didn't because Flacco is the man, but he has been impressive from the games I have watched him play up in Seattle. Looks like they may have a good one up there. Hope he finds success cause he seems like a good guy.

Cheers,
    WS.
    I dont think it was ridiculous that he had potential to be an impact player, it was ridiculous that he wanted to use our 1st round pick on him and get rid of Flacco. Im still not seeing that, so ill save my crow eating for the moment.

He has been shockingly good, but im still curious how the season plays out for him.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I dont think it was ridiculous that he had potential to be an impact player, it was ridiculous that he wanted to use our 1st round pick on him and get rid of Flacco. Im still not seeing that, so ill save my crow eating for the moment.

He has been shockingly good, but im still curious how the season plays out for him.
    Oh I agree with that 100% and I still think he was a dumb dumb for making such a big stink about that, but he also said that Russell Wilson would be a starter in this league and an impact player and I said he would probably never be given a fair shake at QB because he is 5'11" and 200lbs.

I still am curious to see how he does against a top flight defense like San Fran, Baltimore, or Houston, but the kid has made plays with the 1's, 2's, and 3's...so he clearly can play in this league.

Blog Entries

He wanted to draft Wilson in the 1st round. From memory that was the bigger issue than if Wilson could be any good. Seahawks got Wilson. Getting Wilson at pick 75 is a lot smarter than drafting him in the top 32

Also what would the Ravens do with him? It's not like Wilson would have gotten a chance to compete with Flacco.

You've no crow to eat. He said pick him at 29. That would have been silly

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

JAB--
    "He has been shockingly good, but im still curious how the season plays out for him."

You refer, of course, to Wilson, not to momma, n'est-ce pas? ;)

Blog Entries

I know and I agree, but I definitely put it out there that I believed at the time that Russell Wilson's size disadvantage would make him never get a fair shake as a starting QB in the NFL and he would likely be out of the league in a few years. I used the Chris Leak from Florida as a comparison. Prolific passer at Florida...major height disadvantage (5'11") and couldn't hang in the NFL (I think he stuck around on the Bears' practice squad a bit).

I think the 3rd round was a good spot for Wilson because if he panned out then it was a brilliant move and if he was only good enough to be the back up, well they got a back up QB with a 3rd round pick and that's not such bad value in the grand scheme of things.

Blog Entries

Speaking on this topic though, does anyone else see Pete Carroll lasting in Seattle? I don't. His draft picks and free agency strategy is effin nuts and wasteful.

They paid Charlie Whitehurst a TON of money to essentially be the 3rd string QB and now they forked over a fair amount of money for a guy who had about 2 good games under his belt with arguably one of the top set of receivers in the league and now he can't even beat out a 5'11" 3rd round rookie???

Bruce Irvin as a top 20 pick (15th I think?) when there were guys like Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, Shea McCllelin, Chandler Jones, and Whitney Mercilus still on the board?

James Carpenter in 2011 when Gabe Carimi was still on the boards???

He's wayyyy too much of a wild card up there and has way too much power. It's only a matter of time before the Seahawks can him.

I was also doubtful Wilson would ever get a real shot in the NFL, and I have been proven wrong. But Wilson's path to a starting gig was made much more viable when he was drafted by Pete Carroll. Say what you will about the guy as a coach, but ever since he's been there they have VERY unorthodox views on personnel matters. They do a lot of things other team don't do, and one of those things is opening pretty much every job up to competition.

I'm not sure any other team in the league would have even given Wilson a shot at the starting gig. 31 other head coaches would have just handed the job over to Flynn (while telling all the right lies of course.) But the Seahawks don't work that way.

I do wish Wilson the best. I resented seeing Matt Flynn, who in my opinion grades out poorly on tape, given all that money just for putting up great numbers in TWO career starts. I think Wilson has more talent if he can overcome the height issues, and in the Seahawks offense he will have a chance to do that. Realistically I'm not sure ANY QB, rookie or not, has looked more impressive in the preseason thus far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    JAB--
    "He has been shockingly good, but im still curious how the season plays out for him."

You refer, of course, to Wilson, not to momma, n'est-ce pas? ;)
    you would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Speaking on this topic though, does anyone else see Pete Carroll lasting in Seattle? I don't. His draft picks and free agency strategy is effin nuts and wasteful.

They paid Charlie Whitehurst a TON of money to essentially be the 3rd string QB and now they forked over a fair amount of money for a guy who had about 2 good games under his belt with arguably one of the top set of receivers in the league and now he can't even beat out a 5'11" 3rd round rookie???

Bruce Irvin as a top 20 pick (15th I think?) when there were guys like Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, Shea McCllelin, Chandler Jones, and Whitney Mercilus still on the board?

James Carpenter in 2011 when Gabe Carimi was still on the boards???

He's wayyyy too much of a wild card up there and has way too much power. It's only a matter of time before the Seahawks can him.
    im surprised theyve had any success. as long as they keep staying in contention, i cant see them getting rid of him honestly. His moves have been highly questionable.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I was also doubtful Wilson would ever get a real shot in the NFL, and I have been proven wrong. But Wilson's path to a starting gig was made much more viable when he was drafted by Pete Carroll. Say what you will about the guy as a coach, but ever since he's been there they have VERY unorthodox views on personnel matters. They do a lot of things other team don't do, and one of those things is opening pretty much every job up to competition.

I'm not sure any other team in the league would have even given Wilson a shot at the starting gig. 31 other head coaches would have just handed the job over to Flynn (while telling all the right lies of course.) But the Seahawks don't work that way.

I do wish Wilson the best. I resented seeing Matt Flynn, who in my opinion grades out poorly on tape, given all that money just for putting up great numbers in TWO career starts. I think Wilson has more talent if he can overcome the height issues, and in the Seahawks offense he will have a chance to do that. Realistically I'm not sure ANY QB, rookie or not, has looked more impressive in the preseason thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

im surprised theyve had any success. as long as they keep staying in contention, i cant see them getting rid of him honestly. His moves have been highly questionable.
    Eventually it is going to come around and bite them in the ass.

Other than Doug Baldwin and KJ Wright (and potentially Wilson and Bobby Carpenter), Pete Carroll pretty much inherited a team with a good cast. He didn't build much of anything, or at least not yet...Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Russell Okung, Max Unger, Red Bryant...a lot of those guys were already there.

I don't know...I just don't see Irvin panning out, Sidney Rice seems to have been a pretty big wasteful signing, James Carpenter can't stay healthy and wasn't very good last year...they let David Hawthorne walk when he was one of the better LB's on the squad...they paid a ton of money to Charlie Whitehurst to only bring in Tavaris Jackson, who both have stunk, and then they pay a good chunk of change to Matt Flynn who can't even beat out a 3rd round rookie.

Pete Carroll is a wild card. I just don't know how long the Seahawks will want to deal with a wild card who doesn't really draft for value or do his due diligence with free agents.

Blog Entries

Pete Carrolls moves are insane, but then again I can't really say much because they whooped us last season. They are in a division where its not that strong, given how Alex Smith played this preseason if he continues to play that way San Fran won't make it anywhere, they will go as far as he will take them. Pete and his crazy methods may end up taking that division, they have good talent there, if they can put it together they can compete in that soft division. Niners D ain't soft but their offense hasn't looked good at all so far mainly Smith, the D will keep games close and win some od the easy ones they are suppose to win, but don't sleep on Seattle.