Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Billy Cundiff appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I sincerely doubt that they ever thought Tucker would come in here and beat the pants off of Cundiff. However, he did. The catalyst was that missed FG in New England though.
    Im pretty certain theyve alluded to such. Bringing in Tucker wasnt to push for the job, it was appease the fans, and maybe as you and Gota suggest, the players themselves. This coaching staff never had true intentions of replacing him, even with that missed FG, Tucker gave them no choice.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Re: Billy Cundiff appreciation threat

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I heard an interview with Cundiff during camp last season. He said that this was the toughest locker room of any team he had played for. Everyone kept on telling him that he better not screw up any chances for Ray. Kickers and Punters are rarely treated as equals by the rest of the team. I'm sure the added pressure of trying not to be the one who keeps Ray Lewis out of the Super Bowl makes it tougher here than other places.
    Tom Matte always said kickers are not football players. ILMAO.

In fairness to Billy though, there's always someone on the team keeping Ray from gaining another ring.

We waisted all those great Ds with McCreary and Goose still here with Ray, then Reed and Suggs with Ray then Ngata with Reed, Suggs and Ray.

Billick should have won a SB in 03 and 06 and blew it. Shannan Sharpe always said we should have repeated in 01 but the team lost its swagger from SB 35.

HARBs has blown it every year he's been here just like his mentor did in Philly and I called this when he came.

Every year since his rookie year with a rookie QB he has just missed the SB going from missing it by 4 mins in Piss that year to 2 mins 2 seasons ago on the 3rd and 19 play and with Bolden and TJ dropping TDs,
    and got to within 25 secs this year with
    Evans dropping the big TD.

Ozzie has to stop signing players that choke. It's not just Billy but the coach
    too.

Maybe HARBs gets it down to 1 sec from
    the SB this year but Eagles fans have
    been complaining about this for years
    and while HARBs was up there as
    ST coach under Reid.

When HARBs came here I said welcome to the new Eagles.

I'm just saying, it's not all Billy and,
    not just this year.

All that said, it's a helluve of a lot better than being in Cinci, Buff, Det,
    Charlotte or a dozen other cities the last 12 years. It's always been interesting.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-27-2012 at 08:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    :word

Cundiff and Evans were short term Ravens whose legacy will be keeping the Ravens from the Super Bowl. The fans have every right to be pissed at these guys and glad they're off the team. I'm sure many players feel the same way.
    G you always say it right, i was gonna say wonder how the players feel about him? Because if you look at all those facial expressions on the sidelines when that kicked sailed far left that should explain it all, im sure they didn't have no going away party for his sorry ass.

Blog Entries

Does anyone really feel bad for Cundiff? He made millions to kick a football, and he couldn't even do that right when it counted. Then, he got all snippy when he was interviewed recently after the last game. Sorry Cundiff but don't let the door hit you on the a**.

Despite his downfall, I actually liked Cundiff. He made a lot of field goals for us over the years, and went through a stretch where he was money. He was a better kicker than people give him credit for. Hopefully he catches on somewhere else
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid Head View Post
    Looking forward to the Justin Tucker era. Mainly because he looks like the older brother from Goonies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27ZJEO6e31s
    I think he looks like Lloyd Christmas
    Follow me on twitter at @dandrews66

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Tom Matte always said kickers are not football players. ILMAO.

In fairness to Billy though, there's always someone on the team keeping Ray from gaining another ring.

We waisted all those great Ds with McCreary and Goose still here with Ray, then Reed and Suggs with Ray then Ngata with Reed, Suggs and Ray.

Billick should have won a SB in 03 and 06 and blew it. Shannan Sharpe always said we should have repeated in 01 but the team lost its swagger from SB 35.

HARBs has blown it every year he's been here just like his mentor did in Philly and I called this when he came.

Every year since his rookie year with a rookie QB he has just missed the SB going from missing it by 4 mins in Piss that year to 2 mins 2 seasons ago on the 3rd and 19 play and with Bolden and TJ dropping TDs,

too.

Maybe HARBs gets it down to 1 sec from
    the SB this year but Eagles fans have
    been complaining about this for years
    and while HARBs was up there as
    ST coach under Reid.

When HARBs came here I said welcome to the new Eagles.

I'm just saying, it's not all Billy and,
    not just this year.

All that said, it's a helluve of a lot better than being in Cinci, Buff, Det,
    Charlotte or a dozen other cities the last 12 years. It's always been interesting.
    All true but most players have the same attitude as Tom Matte. The are obviously kickers who break through and are treated differently. I doubt too many thought that Matt Stover was not a football player. Cundiff hasn't earned that. He's just another journeyman kicker who will play for 5 or 10 teams by the time he's done.

Blog Entries

“I’m disappointed in the decision, but I’m excited about what lies ahead," Cundiff said in an email to The Baltimore Sun.

"On a professional level, I had my best training camp to date and feel that I am kicking with more power and confidence than 2010. I was looking forward to helping the Ravens in their pursuit of a Super Bowl. However, now I will take that same drive and focus to my next team.

"On a personal level, my family and I will miss Baltimore. The people of Baltimore made playing for the Ravens a truly memorable experience. We got to enjoy the Charm City for three years and are better for it.

"I’m thinking about the future now and I’m going to put all my energy into preparing for what lies ahead.”

These decisions always affect more than just the player – their families also endure the NFL’s roller coaster ride.

Cundiff's wife, Nicole, reacted with class to the news on Twitter:

"We will miss the charm city and all the wonderful people, but we are excited about what's to come."
    He really was having a good camp, just not as good as Tucker. I thought it was odd that hes actually been hitting some 50+ yarders, and even a 61 yarder. Thats not something I remember him doing even in the preseason. like i said, wish him luck, but im happy to have Tucker.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    Seriously, wicked? I heard that the Redskins weren't happy with Gano last year, so they brought in Neil Rackers to compete for their kicker position..
    Gano beat out Rackers.

Redskins cut Rackers this morning.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post

too.
    "Harbs" didn't drop passes or miss kicks. And he didn't sign those players.

I don't understand all the ball washing in this thread.

Plenty of players come and go. I feel worse for Emanuel Cook, a borderline player who lost his season with a broken leg. Or wide receiver Devin Goda, a UDFA from "Slippery Rock University" whose career as an NFL player is now over before it even began, and he never even made a catch in a preseason game. Hell with Billy Cundiff, and hell with you if you think that sentiment is inappropriate.

Billy Cundiff isn't special. He was a mediocre placekicker who lost his job when a rookie came along who could do it better. That's what happens.

Tell me he treated the fans well like JO. Tell me he was active in the community like Matt Birk. Tell me if you bumped into the street he would treat you with kindness and humility like Joe Flacco.

The *only* story I have ever heard about Billy Cundiff "off the field" involves him acting like a jerk.

Why should I give a crap he's gone?
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I'm not going to be one of those with an extreme reaction and wish ill will on Cundiff but lets face facts. He has been in the NFL for 9 seasons. His first 7 were mediocre at best. He did have a tremendous 2010 season and then came crashing back to earth in 2011. My reasons for wanting him gone are not just because of the missed kick @ New England. He's just not a very accurate kicker. He's been in the bottom half of the league as far as kickers go for 8 of his 9 seasons and his only real strength has been negated by the rule changes to kickoffs last year. I love our front office and think it's the best in the NFL but signing Cundiff to a long deal was one of the few circumstances they really screwed the pooch.