Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: The Steelers offensive line is going to struggle a lot this season (again)

Quote Originally Posted by vinny600 View Post
    I agree we definitely need an upgrade at LT, but our aging vets should be able to hold the fort for this season I hope.

About the Suggs INT if I recall accurately Ben threw that pick to his right. Is that typical for Suggs to be on the left side? I thought he played almost exclusively on the right (of the defense) as DE or OLB. Just wondering if maybe he moved to the right to try to get more pressure on Ben.
    He moves around all over the place.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think it was Peter King that said "he was playing like a 5-year vet". From everything ive heard that wasnt the case and he was struggling as it was.
    I just read that this morning. The same hype that preceded and followed Pouncey's entrance to the league. Gonna get this guy anointed to all-pros and pro bowls before he's shown anything.

Ludicrous journalism.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I just read that this morning. The same hype that preceded and followed Pouncey's entrance to the league. Gonna get this guy anointed to all-pros and pro bowls before he's shown anything.

Ludicrous journalism.
    He himself said he was struggling with the physical aspect of the game and being overpowered. I dont know how you can "report" something that even the player admits isnt true.
    -JAB

They'll struggle, but at the end of the day they've had one of the worst O-lines in the league for 2-3 years. I doubt it will be any worse this year, unless they have another run of injuries like they've had the last two.

Decastro was looking decent for a rookie so the injury is too bad. Foster - the guy who will replace Decastro - is actually an ok player, so the dropoff shouldn't be huge.

Adams has looked putrid so far. If one of the startling tackles goes down and they're forced to use Adams then they could be in trouble, but until that happens they should muddle along as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    They'll struggle, but at the end of the day they've had one of the worst O-lines in the league for 2-3 years. I doubt it will be any worse this year, unless they have another run of injuries like they've had the last two.

Decastro was looking decent for a rookie so the injury is too bad. Foster - the guy who will replace Decastro - is actually an ok player, so the dropoff shouldn't be huge.

Adams has looked putrid so far. If one of the startling tackles goes down and they're forced to use Adams then they could be in trouble, but until that happens they should muddle along as usual.
    But they also haven't been the Super Bowl Championship team that they were seasons ago for the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I hate preseason, there has to be a way to scrimmage these guys without the season ending injuries.
    Hey, if they didn't play any games, they would never get hurt at all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post

As coastergenius pointed out, in 2008 they had a much better defense and running game than they do now. They were younger, faster, and Ben hadn't taken as many knocks up to that point, he didn't have any where near the wear and tear he does now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    But they also haven't been the Super Bowl Championship team that they were seasons ago for the past 3 years.
    Well they did get to the Superbowl and lose with a pretty awful O-line. For that game I think they were even forced to use a backup center since Pouncey got hurt against the Jets. A good part of the reason their line has been so atrocious is the injuries. I can't remember the last time they had a completely healthy O-line. Looks like this year will be no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJoeFlaccoShow View Post
    If Jen can stay upright they will probably be 8-8 at least, but anyone who thinks this team is one of the best in the AFC has a screw loose.
    Have no fear. Pitts. will show up again this year and give us a handful. Good FO, good head coach, good DC, new & unpredictable OC. Those guys, never pull a hammie or blow out a knee.

It doesn't matter what the O-line does with that team, when they have a defensive lineman playing QB. Conversely, they could have 5 all pros out there in front of Ben and he still would hold the ball, scramble, and get hit. That's just how he plays which is playground style. None of those issues have kept them out of the playoffs.

Now if their defense starts to slip, then you have something. The last time that happened, they missed the playoffs.

If they think they are going to be more successful by running more often this year (as I've heard is their focus) then they are going to be dissapointed, imo. I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that their O-line is capable of being a consistently good run blocking line. Their pass protection is just OK.

Roethlisberger and the receivers are a another matter. They are a very good group and capable of the big play at any time.

Their defense, I think, will show to have come down a notch from past years. Everybody talks about the age thing and it does have some merit. I know it was just a preseason game, but the Bills were able to run on the Steelers pretty easily.

So, while I see them as being able to win any single game against anyone, I think they are going to be looking at a 9-10 win season this year and the offensive line is going to be their biggest weakness yet again.

Blog Entries

It's worse than I thought....

If I was Ben, I'd feel lucky that I probably wont have to be facing Suggs twice this year.