Thread: 2016

Blog Entries

Anyone see it... or care to?

I checked out the facebook page, a lot of people are saying it's not biased just good background on BHO.

I think I might check it out.
    http://2016themovie.com/media/

Blog Entries

Re: 2016

Had the in-laws in town and my father in law wanted to go see it.

Good documentary, very good actually.

Gives a lot of background on BHO and what he believes and what his goals may be.

The film, written and narrated by conservative scholar Dinesh D'Souza, argues that Obama was heavily influenced by what D'Souza calls the "anti-colonial" beliefs of his father, Barack Obama Sr., a Kenyan academic who was largely absent from the president's life.

To document that claim, D'Souza travels to Kenya to interview members of Obama's extended family as well as to Hawaii and Indonesia, where Obama grew up. He also cites several actions and policy positions Obama has taken to support the thesis that Obama is ideologically rooted in the Third World and harbors contempt for the country that elected him its first black president.

The assertion that Obama's presidency is an expression of his father's political beliefs, which D'Souza first made in 2010 in his book "The Roots of Obama's Rage," is almost entirely subjective and a logical stretch at best.

It's true that Obama's father lived most of his life in Kenya, an African nation once colonized by the British, and that Obama's reverence for his absent father frames his best-selling memoir. D'Souza even sees clues in the book's title: "Notice it says 'Dreams From My Father,' not 'of' my father," D'Souza says.

But it's difficult to see how Obama's political leanings could have been so directly shaped by his father, as D'Souza claims. The elder Obama left his wife and young son, the future president, when Obama was 2 and visited his son only once, when Obama was 10. But D'Souza frames that loss as an event that reinforced rather than weakened the president's ties to his father, who died in a car crash when Obama was in college.

D'Souza interviews Paul Vitz, a New York University psychologist who has studied the impact of absent fathers on children. In Obama's case, Vitz says, the abandonment meant "he has the tension between the Americanism and his Africanism. He himself is an intersection of major political forces in his own psychology."

From there, the evidence D'Souza uses to support his assertion starts to grow thin.

D'Souza says Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham, shared his father's left-leaning views. After living in Indonesia for several years, D'Souza said, Dunham sent the younger Obama to live with his grandparents in Hawaii so he would not be influenced by her second husband, Lolo Soetoro, an Indonesian who worked for American oil companies and fought communists as a member of the Indonesian army.

"Ann separates Barry from Lolo's growing pro-Western influence," D'Souza says in the film. Obama has said his mother had sent him back to Hawaii so he would be educated in the United States.

In Hawaii, D'Souza asserts with no evidence, Obama sympathized with native Hawaiians who felt they had been marginalized by the American government when Hawaii was becoming a state. D'Souza also asserts — again with no evidence — that Obama had been coached to hold those views at Punahou, the prestigious prep school he attended in Honolulu.

"Oppression studies, if you will. Obama got plenty of that when he was here in Punahou," D'Souza says, standing on the campus.

In Kenya, D'Souza interviews Philip Ochieng, a lifelong friend of the president's father, who claims the elder Obama was "totally anti-colonial." Ochieng also discloses some of his own political views, complaining about U.S. policy in Afghanistan and Iraq and saying the U.S. refuses to "tame" Israel, which he calls a "Trojan horse in the Middle East." D'Souza seems to suggest that if a onetime friend of Obama's late father holds those opinions, so too must the president himself.

D'Souza then goes through a list of actions Obama has taken as president to support his thesis. Many of them don't hold water:

— D'Souza rightly argues that the national debt has risen to $16 trillion under Obama. But he never mentions the explosion of debt that occurred under Obama's predecessor, Republican George W. Bush, nor the 2008 global financial crisis that provoked a shock to the U.S. economy.

— D'Souza says Obama is "weirdly sympathetic to Muslim jihadists" in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He does not mention that Obama ordered the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and the drone strikes that have killed dozens of terrorists in the region.

—D'Souza wrongly claims that Obama wants to return control of the Falkland Islands from Britain to Argentina. The U.S. refused in April to endorse a final declaration on Argentina's claim to the islands at the Summit of the Americas, provoking criticism from other Latin American nations.

—D'Souza says Obama has "done nothing" to impede Iran's nuclear ambitions, despite the severe trade and economic sanctions his administration has imposed on Iran to halt its suspected nuclear program. Obama opposes a near-term military strike on Iran, either by the U.S. or Israel, although he says the U.S. will never tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran.

— D'Souza says Obama removed a bust of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill from the Oval Office because Churchill represented British colonialism. White House curator William Allman said the bust, which had been on loan, was already scheduled to be returned before Obama took office. Another bust of Churchill is on display in the president's private residence, the White House says.
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Blog Entries

Was reading this transcript, earlier, of an interview with a former Republican that explains some of his issues with his former party, his issues with he DNC and the effects that partisanship are having on political discourse. Interesting read. Seems relevant to this thread.

Pyite, I am sure, forgot to mention that his entire response a few posts ago is not his own.

(cough AP Editorial cough)

I am sure he isn't committing plagiarism like Galen did a few months back.

I am sure he will post quotes and / or source his response any time now.

Right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Pyite, I am sure, forgot to mention that his entire response a few posts ago is not his own.

(cough AP Editorial cough)

I am sure he isn't committing plagiarism like Galen did a few months back.

I am sure he will post quotes and / or source his response any time now.

Right?
    Anything he can do I can do better.

The Associated Press has attempted to "fact check" Dinesh D'Souza's astonishingly successful documentary, 2016: Obama's America--and undermines its own criticism by engaging in a blatantly opinionated assault.

D'Souza's thesis is that President Barack Obama is deeply influenced by the anti-colonial views of his father, Barack H. Obama, Sr. I happen to think that D'Souza's argument is, at best, a partial explanation of Obama's views. The term "anti-colonial" is a good first pass at Obama's foreign policy, which often neglects traditional American allies in favor of rapprochement with hostile regimes. However, Obama's focus is domestic policy, and his preference for a weakened America on the world stage grows from his desire to see the U.S. adopt the redistributionist policies of other nations. He is focused inward, not outward. And, as the AP's Beth Fouhy points out that D'Souza's evidence is "a logical stretch at best," given that Obama II had little contact with his father.

So far, so good for Fouhy and the AP--but when the "fact check" takes on specific claims in D'Souza's film, it leaves facts behind and offers nothing but opposing opinions, revealing the true bias behind the AP's analysis.

Here are Fouhy's "corrections" to factual claims in 2016: Obama's America:

Fouhy: D'Souza rightly argues that the national debt has risen to $16 trillion under Obama. But he never mentions the explosion of debt that occurred under Obama's predecessor, Republican George W. Bush, nor the 2008 global financial crisis that provoked a shock to the U.S. economy.

So? The Obama debts dwarf the "explosion" under George W. Bush, and it was not necessary that the financial crisis be followed by the kind of deficit spending the Obama administration undertook. Obama himself came to office promising a mere $50 billion in stimulus spending; he ended up spending nearly $900 billion. Fouhy's "correction" here is actually just an argument against D'Souza's opinion, not the facts he invokes to support it.

Fouhy: D'Souza says Obama is "weirdly sympathetic to Muslim jihadists" in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He does not mention that Obama ordered the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and the drone strikes that have killed dozens of other terrorists in the region.

These two facts are not contradictory. In fact, one of the weirdest examples of jihadist sympathy was Osama bin Laden's burial at sea in a sham Islamic ceremony. The drone strikes, too, are so prevalent in Obama's policy towards terror partly because he refuses to detain jihadists at Guantanamo Bay, in a self-defeating gesture towards radical sympathies in the Islamic world. Obama has always used his focus on bin Laden as a balance to, and cover for, his willful retreat in the face of the jihadist threat in Iraq and now Afghanistan.

Fouhy: D'Souza wrongly claims that Obama wants to return control of the Falkland Islands from Britain to Argentina. The U.S. refused in April to endorse a final declaration on Argentina's claim to the islands at the Summit of the Americas, provoking criticism from other Latin American nations.

There is no other way to interpret the Obama administration's shameful abandonment of our British allies than to conclude that President Obama believes there is merit in the Argentinian claim on the Falklands--a claim last pursued by a fascist, human-rights-abusing dictatorship through unprovoked aggression and war.

Fouhy: D'Souza says Obama has "done nothing" to impede Iran's nuclear ambitions, despite the severe trade and economic sanctions his administration has imposed on that country to halt its suspected nuclear program. Obama opposes a near-term military strike on Iran, either by the U.S. or Israel, although he says the U.S. will never tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran.

Not only has the Obama administration dragged its feet on applying new sanctions to Iran, but it has actively flouted current U.N. Security Council resolutions on Iranian nuclear enrichment in order to find some kind of face-saving grand bargain with the Iranian theocracy. It also missed a golden opportunity to topple the regime by supporting pro-democracy protests in 2009--which could have removed the nuclear threat peacefully.

Fouhy: D'Souza says Obama removed a bust of British Prime Minister Winston Churchill from the Oval Office because Churchill represented British colonialism. White House curator William Allman said the bust, which had been on loan, was already scheduled to be returned before Obama took office. Another bust of Churchill is on display in the president's private residence, the White House says.

This is an amusing error by Fouhy, and without returning to the White House's embarrassing tangle with Charles Krauthammer on this issue earlier this summer, it suffices to point out that the British offered to extend the loan and the Obama adminsitration declined to accept. Here Fouhy's own facts need to be checked.

Fouhy and the AP might have had a point if they had simply objected to D'Souza's overall thesis, which is very much a matter of opinion and speculation. But they simply could not resist the temptation to substitute their opinions for his facts--and have thus undone their own "fact check," as well as any pretense at objectivity.
    Seriously, Pyite won't watch this movie he'll just read someone elses opinion and take that as enough form him. I've seen this and it was very well don, not propaganda at all, just a history of Obama his family, his mentors etc and how they've shaped his views.

I highly recommend it.