Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ravens front 7 will be challenged in 2012

The Ravens have produced competent linebackers the way the Atlanta Braves once produced starting pitching. And as in the case of the Braves in the Peach State things aren’t what they used to be at the position of linebacker here in The Land of Pleasant Living.

Why the Ravens D could take a slide in 2012... LINK
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Re: Ravens front 7 will be challenged in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    The Ravens have produced competent linebackers the way the Atlanta Braves once produced starting pitching. And as in the case of the Braves in the Peach State things aren’t what they used to be at the position of linebacker here in The Land of Pleasant Living.

Why the Ravens D could take a slide in 2012... LINK
    It's odd that in a piece about the linebackers, you would mention defensive line coach Clarence Brooks (and DC Pees), but not mention linebackers coaches Ted Monachino and Don Martindale. On my first read I thought you were saying that Brooks was the LB coach, I had to check more closely.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    It's odd that in a piece about the linebackers, you would mention defensive line coach Clarence Brooks (and DC Pees), but not mention linebackers coaches Ted Monachino and Don Martindale. On my first read I thought you were saying that Brooks was the LB coach, I had to check more closely.
    The piece is about the uncertainties at LB which IMO places more pressure on a D-Line that may or may not be up to the task from jump street. I don't see that happening right away. They've lost a lot and tonight isn't a good enough test IMO without MJD. Next week a few may not even punch the clock.

Of course I hope I'm wrong but in order to have a successful start and take 3 of 4 games in September, the offense is going to have to carry the load.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

I dunno, with Ray back and at his usual performance, McClain being a more than capable LB and Ellerbe healthy were bringing back ourstaring and backup ILB's from last year. JJ while he was great should be more than capable of being replaced in production by Kruger(as much doubts as I had about him). The real loss is with Suggs, but with Upshaw e should be able to get by.

The front 3, or 4 however you'd like to look at it will be IMO better than last year Sure we have the loss of McKinney, but Kemo so far has more than impressed, add in a healthy Ngata(which he wasnt much of last season) and another year under Mt Cody's belt and those 3 should surpass last years impressiveness.

Allin all I can see Suggs going on PUP and thsan returning to absoluterly dominate,similar to Reed the other year. Overall well still be a top 5 defense in the league, might slip a spot or 2, but nothing drastic.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    I dunno, with Ray back and at his usual performance, McClain being a more than capable LB and Ellerbe healthy were bringing back ourstaring and backup ILB's from last year. JJ while he was great should be more than capable of being replaced in production by Kruger(as much doubts as I had about him). The real loss is with Suggs, but with Upshaw e should be able to get by.

The front 3, or 4 however you'd like to look at it will be IMO better than last year Sure we have the loss of McKinney, but Kemo so far has more than impressed, add in a healthy Ngata(which he wasnt much of last season) and another year under Mt Cody's belt and those 3 should surpass last years impressiveness.

Allin all I can see Suggs going on PUP and thsan returning to absoluterly dominate,similar to Reed the other year. Overall well still be a top 5 defense in the league, might slip a spot or 2, but nothing drastic.
    agree with everything here. Not many changes on the DL execpt for McPhee/Jones being starters vs backups and the only change at LB is Kruger taking over for Suggs for now and McCellan/Upshaw replacing JJ till Suggs gets back. The unit will be fine. out DL is actually better this year and with Ray slim as well as McClain and Elerbie actually showing he can play I think we will be fine.

We play a lot better offenses this year than last year. NFC East instead of the putrid NFC West. AFC West (with P. Manning) instead of the putrid AFC South (without P. Manning). Patriots and Texans as our two variable games.

The schedule difference alone should account for slightly worse performance (stats) on defense, even if all things were equal on our defense to last year (which it isn't, specifically with the DPOY out).

I think our offense will definitely have to step up this year, and on the flip-side of the schedule, I think the defenses we face this year worse than last year's, so hopefully our offense carries extra weight.

I actually can't figure out the Raven defense yet.
    It is way too early.

What I do know is, except for Reed, our secondary is extremely young and talented.
    With Reed as the general back there and Ray as the general upfront, we should be fine.
    It will all be about two things: generating pressure using real game defenses, not preseason vanilla AND slowing down the run game. I think we will give up more yards on the ground which sounds good at first when you think of this as being a passing league, as long as our guys don't wear down in the 4th because they are getting run over in the second and third levels. Our backers are smaller and Reed will have to come up and lay some hits he may usually not have to do. So there could be the health issues as the season wears on.

That's my concerns, but I do think we have a great young group of talented defensive players looking ahead to the future. We just need some of them to step it up a little ahead of schedule to get to the playoffs.
    With the veteran coach in Pees, along with Ray and Ed, this defense certainly has the best leaders to feed off of.

This could be a great year. The pieces are there. I just hope they are all ready to come together now.

And I say that with referencing the 2000 defense.
    That defense was great because a number of those players had career years THAT year.
    Whether they were young or on their last leg veterans.
    Example, Burnett, best year, I believe in his 11th year.
    Duane Starks, young, best playoffs in his life. He was never that great again.
    Sharper, LB, was slow and behind plays UNTIL that year when the light went on. He stopped thinking and started reacting. That helped that unit play at the highest level.
    Woodson, extending his career by moving to safety in 99, understood the defense by the second year here.

These are the kinds of things, if you look back, you see they all came together perfectly at the right time.

This could be one of those years if the young guys step it up and some of them finally have the light go on.
    I believe our secondary is the best in the league when all are healthy.
    The linebacking corp has to come around.

Blog Entries

Suggs is a big issue. We all know that Pees is going to create pressure doing creative things but he's not showing any of that in the preseason. It's tough to visualize what it's going to look like.

9. Re: Ravens front 7 will be challenged in 2012

I also believe McPhee and Kruger are poised for breakout seasons. Natural pass rushers. The biggest issue is losing Suggs and who will replace him effectively. McClellan looks good and I do believe Upshaw will only improve. I honestly think we'll be OK. I'd love to see Jameel be a beast this year and compliment Ray a lot better. It'd be a nice to have another star ILB inside.