Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I don't know about you but Deonte Thompson is really starting to grow on me

I am new to this site, but am a big fan of Florida Gators. When he was at Florida he struggled at times catching the ball, but he was always doing the best he could on special teams, and at wide out. I really like this kid, and think he is coming along good for us. I think he will have a chance at making the roster. What do you guys think?

I found this article and they think that we could cut Streeter, you think that would be possible? I can't imagine them doing it, but it is all about who performs.

http://ravens24x7.com/forum/register.php?do=addmember

Re: I don't know about you but Deonte Thompson is really starting to grow on me

I think Thompson will make the team

If he does JAC like he did ATL then Thompson will definitely make the team.
    Even if he doesn't, there's no other "third unit" WR making his own case, so Thompson should be good.

If he hits the PS then he'll get snagged immediately.
    UDFA WRs (i.e., cheap)? In a passing league? That make the PS box score?
    Yeah...he'll be gone.

Blog Entries

Every year we have a WR bandwagon.
    I'm not knocking you, we all are guilty in one degree or another.
    Eron Riley ... we hyped away.... didn't make the team.
    I liked Matt Willis .... bye Matt PS for a while.
    LaQuan beat the odds, really beat the lockout odds but that was an exception, can we see another now?
    As a general rule, draft picks have an edge, but players like Justin Harper have blunted that edge.

Deonte turns in another great performance and the bandwagon starts rolling, you are just hopping on it earlier because of the Gators, but if he shines next game you will start having company, after all we are Fans and that is what fans do in the preseason :)
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Every year we have a WR bandwagon.
    I'm not knocking you, we all are guilty in one degree or another.
    Eron Riley ... we hyped away.... didn't make the team.
    I liked Matt Willis .... bye Matt PS for a while.
    LaQuan beat the odds, really beat the lockout odds but that was an exception, can we see another now?
    As a general rule, draft picks have an edge, but players like Justin Harper have blunted that edge.

Deonte turns in another great performance and the bandwagon starts rolling, you are just hopping on it earlier because of the Gators, but if he shines next game you will start having company, after all we are Fans and that is what fans do in the preseason :)
    I am not sure being drafted really matters anymore, unless your picked in the first two rounds. Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain beat out two ILB that we drafted around the same time, Tavarres Gooden and Jason Phillips. Bobby Rainey is very likely to make the roster over AA.

The only thing Streeter has over Thompson is his physical measurables. It's a moot point but in the end I really think Streeter is going to regret leaving school a year early.

Blog Entries

If you look back at previous Ravens teams, Streeter would have made the team easily. However, the WRs, though still lacking in some respect, are improving.

As for Deonte Thompson, he is the guy that could make his way up the ladder soon.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Deonte has shown so much more than Erin Riley and Matt Willis combined. At this point I'd be shocked that he's not on the team. This year, he'll have to make impact on STs.

I hope Deonte makes the roster and they place Tommy Streeter on IR with an infected hangnail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    I hope Deonte makes the roster and they place Tommy Streeter on IR with an infected hangnail.
    Agreed.

I am drinking the Deonte cool-aid, big time.

For the record, I always thought Eron Riley was crap. Ditto Anthony Allen. (But did anyone listen to me? Noooooooooo..... "oh Anthony Allen, he's awesome, oh Anthony Allen... blah blah" j/k ).

Listen up folks: Deonte Thompson can flat-out freakin' play. I like Doss, I like La Quan, but right now if you put a gun to my head and I had to pick one of the three, I'd pick Deonte. In fact, I'd put him ahead of JJ The Punt-Fumbling Drop-King at #3. Based on what I have observed.

Granted, I only know what I've seen in 2 preseason games. There's a lot more at practice I don't see. So all I have is my 2 DVR-d preseason games. But I see things with him I never saw with some of our previous PreSeason Hall of Famers. His routes are solid, his hands are sticky, his body control is professional. He's fast as hell. And the game does not look too fast for him mentally -- his brain keeps up with his speed. There's a lot to build on there.

If the rationale for signing JJ The Punt-Fumbling Drop-King was (a) he could return kicks , and (b) take the top off the defense with his speed as a decoy if nothing else, well....... Deonte would appear more than capable of doing both of those things.

Blog Entries

The thing that gives me the most hope for Thompson is that he definitely plays ST, as evidenced by the long runback in the Detroit game. I don't hear of Streeter doing much on ST, so immediately, that makes Thompson a slightly more attractive option.

Streeter hasn't necessarily been bad, I just think if it comes down to two of them for one spot, Thompson has the edge based on play and ST abilities. Having a backup return guy will be pretty good. You figure Jones, Jackson are the main guys, D. Thompson can do it too, as can Rainey who I think makes the team as well. That kind've thing will allow us to keep Torrey and Webb protected.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PGCountyRaven85 View Post
    acute paper cut syndrome
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The thing that gives me the most hope for Thompson is that he definitely plays ST, as evidenced by the long runback in the Detroit game. I don't hear of Streeter doing much on ST, so immediately, that makes Thompson a slightly more attractive option.
    He also got to the onside kick first and was the one who tipped it past the defense, allowing Omar Brown to grab it.

I had also read they're using him at every conceivable ST role -- gunner, kick coverage (apparently he can play multiple kick coverage positions, but I'm not familiar enough with those to say what they are), and "guy who tries to block the gunner" on the punt return team. Apparently he's very versatile on ST's, in addition to being a returner.