Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: The Maurice Jones- Drew situation

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If I were Jax, I'd trade him.

I get the whole idea of how it's not fair that teams can cut guys for underperforming contracts and players are stuck when they outperform it.

But on the whole...my belief is that I agree with the young guys who are are stars, yet are still in their rookie deals...not so much vet stars who are pissed 2-3 years into record contracts.

If a player wants to constantly be at the top pay for his position, he needs to sacrifice some in terms of the length of these deals they sign. If you are elite, and stay elite after signing a 5 year deal, your contract is guaranteed to be passed by quite a bit 3-4 years into it.

Back to the question though, I would not give him a new deal if he is expecting to break the bank again. The team is still going to be bad, with or without him...he doesn't make Jax into a contender or anything.

I'd get what I could for him in a trade...draft picks.
    :word

There are plenty of teams out there that would be interested in giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for MJD. I doubt he'd garner a 1st round pick given his age. Not one team was chomping at the bit to sent Pittsburgh a 1st rounder for Mike Wallace and he's younger and at a much more premium position than MJD is.

Miami, Pittsburgh (if they could afford it), Jets, Pats, Lions, Cardinals, Redskins, Bills, Chargers and possibly even the Colts or Raiders might be interested in trading for MJD.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Holy crap, I forgot that MJD is only 27 lol( I thought he was 29 or so). Forgive me, it's only Thursday and I'm getting weekend brain.
    The pounding he has taken as being the Jags only real source of offense the past 2-3 years is what makes him "old".
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    :word

There are plenty of teams out there that would be interested in giving up a 2nd or 3rd rounder for MJD. I doubt he'd garner a 1st round pick given his age. Not one team was chomping at the bit to sent Pittsburgh a 1st rounder for Mike Wallace and he's younger and at a much more premium position than MJD is.

Miami, Pittsburgh (if they could afford it), Jets, Pats, Lions, Cardinals, Redskins, Bills, Chargers and possibly even the Colts or Raiders might be interested in trading for MJD.
    Jets have already said they aren't interested. Picks and a new contract makes it way too expensive. I'd love to see what Jones-Drew could do on the Chargers. He'd be perfect for Norv's offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    That said, I'm reading that most fans support the owner. Strange, since he just sold them down river vis-a-vis London.
    That is surprising. They must really be unhappy with the holdout to side with an owner who just moved home games out of the country.
    Last edited by Kyle Cactus; 08-23-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: meant to type unhappy instead of happy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    That is surprising. They must really be happy with the holdout to side with an owner who just moved home games out of the country.
    I think a fanbase that hasn't had much to cheer about recently is getting hoodwinked by preseason success. A casual fan's memory is week to week when it comes to the NFL.

Blog Entries

The idea that Jones-Drew played at such a high level, that he deserved such a high contract, should not negate the reality that he is currently outplaying the parameters of the remaining portion of the contract.

The idea that Jones-Drew is an RB, which is considered a devalued position, should not negate the reality that they are going to once again pound Jones-Drew into the ground, making him a substantial portion of their offense.

The idea that Jones-Drew used his one possible move for leverage, should not negate the reality that the Owner made the negotiations public with some remarks that we would never hear come from an owner such as the one we enjoy.

Beau Petard,

my comment was in response to another poster. I understand where you are coming from. I take the stance if we are going to play this game, play this game, but don't say that it's okay for the owners to play it while the player has to honor his contract. Jones-Drew probably won't get a raise for outplaying his contract (In my opinion) and will find himself cut the minute he starts underplaying it or gets hurt.
    (This directed toward the poster that I was originally responding to)

I actually believe that this will have a large impact in the locker room. Team chemistry is easy for us to under-appreciate, because the Ravens have so much of it. That is not the case in Jacksonville and there are plenty of players who look to Jones-Drew, who has always been a respected figure around the league and model citizen. The negotiations are one thing, but to say that his absence won't 'move the needle' or 'move the meter', sends a message to the team of how they view their best player and long-time leader. I believe that will affect chemistry in the locker room and that translates to the field.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I don't see this ending any way other than MJD reporting to camp with his tail between his legs; just a matter of when.

Daily 30K fines are going to add up quickly and he's already missed 3 weeks.

There aren't many teams lining up to trade for a disgruntled RB who wants a big payday

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The idea that Jones-Drew played at such a high level, that he deserved such a high contract, should not negate the reality that he is currently outplaying the parameters of the remaining portion of the contract.

The idea that Jones-Drew is an RB, which is considered a devalued position, should not negate the reality that they are going to once again pound Jones-Drew into the ground, making him a substantial portion of their offense.

The idea that Jones-Drew used his one possible move for leverage, should not negate the reality that the Owner made the negotiations public with some remarks that we would never hear come from an owner such as the one we enjoy.

Beau Petard,

my comment was in response to another poster. I understand where you are coming from. I take the stance if we are going to play this game, play this game, but don't say that it's okay for the owners to play it while the player has to honor his contract. Jones-Drew probably won't get a raise for outplaying his contract (In my opinion) and will find himself cut the minute he starts underplaying it or gets hurt.
    (This directed toward the poster that I was originally responding to)

I actually believe that this will have a large impact in the locker room. Team chemistry is easy for us to under-appreciate, because the Ravens have so much of it. That is not the case in Jacksonville and there are plenty of players who look to Jones-Drew, who has always been a respected figure around the league and model citizen. The negotiations are one thing, but to say that his absence won't 'move the needle' or 'move the meter', sends a message to the team of how they view their best player and long-time leader. I believe that will affect chemistry in the locker room and that translates to the field.
    Tha Jags 1 win team without MJD and a 3 win team with him. It really doesn't matter how effects the locker room because most of those players won't be there next year.