Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: The Maurice Jones- Drew situation

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Don't sign a contract if you're not going to honor it. MJD has 2 years left...shut up and play and when 2 years is up, ask for more $ then. I'm all for asking for more $ when you are renegotiating at the end of your contract, but when you still have multiple years left on a deal that you signed, shut up and honor it!!!
    :word

If you want to talk about disrespectful, let's talk about Jones and agent creating this issue in the first place and threatening to blow up the locker room chemistry -- if indeed we all are going to buy off on the idea that public contract disputes damage the psyches of the younger players. If that's the effect, then MJD is the cause, not Khan.

If there is any disrespect, it's the player disrespecting the team that already committed $31 million to him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Don't sign a contract if you're not going to honor it. MJD has 2 years left...shut up and play and when 2 years is up, ask for more $ then. I'm all for asking for more $ when you are renegotiating at the end of your contract, but when you still have multiple years left on a deal that you signed, shut up and honor it!!!
    Then the same should go for the front office. So, no players should be getting cut. If they overplay their contract and should still honor it, a front office should also honor that contract when they are considering getting rid of an aging player or a player on the decline.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    :word

If you want to talk about disrespectful, let's talk about Jones and agent creating this issue in the first place and threatening to blow up the locker room chemistry -- if indeed we all are going to buy off on the idea that public contract disputes damage the psyches of the younger players. If that's the effect, then MJD is the cause, not Khan.
    When did they threaten to blow up the locker room chemistry?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    The PR stuff and messages to other team members is irrelevant to me. All teams go through bouts of unhappy players and eventually everything is worked out -- never exactly how one side or the other or both wants -- and we move on.

Besides, I don't think Khan has been disrespectful. I think MJD and his agent claim that, but to me it's a sign that they can't get any traction in their hold out and are clamoring to incite fans to pressure the team. That won't work.

It's a fallacy that MJD is underpaid. He got a $31 million, five-year deal three years ago. But the deal was front loaded. He's been sitting on 2012 and 2013 compensation for three years now, earning interest. Now he wants us to buy the fact that earning just shy of $5 million a year for the next two years makes him underpaid. Sorry, not buying it.

I'm thrilled the team is responding how it is responding.

Interesting to note, however, that Ray Rice just signed a front loaded deal. We'll see how that sits with him down the road.
    This sums it up perfectly.

Blog Entries

Kahn has also given up 4 home games to set up shop in London. He seems a lot more business oriented than the usual NFL owner who puts winning first, even if they aren't good at accomplishing it. I have a feeling that Kahn is going to own this team for 10 years and then try and flip it after he moves them to a better market. This is the same guy who wanted to buy the Rams but as soon as he couldn't jumped at the next available team. This is an investment which means he's not going to put extra money into it now because winning now doesn't mean anything to his long term plans.

I don't think the issue is weather or not Kahn disrespected MJD. The issues is weather or not Kahn said something that could be interpreted by a player as disrespect.

Kahn has every right to disrespect anyone he wants, it just doesn't make good business sense to risk offending a star player. Stick to your guns and don't talk about it publicly. That's what smart owners and smart GMs do.

I look at this in this way as the NFL is an industry and every team is a company.

The owner has the money to pay MJD, but feels that he needs to place his stamp on the team.

MJD is trying to get paid with the industry standard for his performance, but is aging.

The mistakes thus far appear to be on the owner's side with the talking in public about this matter instead of handling this in house.

MJD is looking for that last payday. By all accounts he has earned this considering his environment that in which he still has produced against all odds really.

I really don't see a solution except for letting him walk via trade. Even that I don't see happening as teams may not be willing to take on this contract right now at MJD's age.

The owner is not in the wrong really except talking much on the contract. Leave that to the front office.

I didn't realize a 27-year old RB with 3 years as full-time starter and another 3 as a change-of-pace back was "old."

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Excell-
    I find the discussion interesting AND Ravens related, thinking back to situations like Jamal Lewis before he went to Cleve, or when Priest Holmes "jumped ship" to KC.

But I have to disagree with "Then the same should go for the front office. So, no players should be getting cut. If they overplay their contract and should still honor it, a front office should also honor that contract when they are considering getting rid of an aging player or a player on the decline."

The contract game (if you will) is not played that way, and ALL of the players (pun intended) know it - draftees, veterans, walk-ons, agents, team owners, general managers, coaches, etc., etc. That's why there is guaranteed money and bonuses. Not that I see anyone on a higher moral ground in that picture, but players get up-front money that is a risk to the team(s) if the player doesn't pan out, while teams try to manage their CAP and use the cutting of "expensive" contract players later in their tenure as well as the "Watch my hands closely as they never leave my arms!" accounting techniques. When it comes down to the bottom line, they all want as much as they can squeeze out of "the other side", and screw the cost to the fans.

Not that I feel strongly about this, you understand...;)

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    When did they threaten to blow up the locker room chemistry?
    I didn't mean they verbally threatened the locker room chemistry. I meant that he purposely incited a PR situation and purposely pushed his unhappiness into the public discourse.

I probably should have said that MJD and his agent were "risking," not "threatening," a locker room blow up.

Your argument seems to be that contract disputes --> unhappy star players --> unhappy locker rooms.

If that's the case -- if that's the concern -- then MJD is just as responsible for locker room strife as Khan.

I say that because we all know how this works. 1) Player's agent privately contacts management about new contract. 2) Management informs agent they are not ready to negotiate a new deal with two years left on current deal. 3) It goes back and forth without management budging. 4) Agent tells player to sit-out of camp to "create leverage" and knowing the PR fallout will pressure management to keep star player happy. 5) Press goes to management and asks, "gee, your star player seems unhappy. What are you guys going to do about it? Doesn't this really disrupt your team?" 6) Team forced to respond publicly.

As I said, all the PR stuff is pointless gamesmanship to me. Talk of locker room effects is pointless to me.

What it really comes down to is if you feel MJD has a right to feel unhappy. You believe he outplayed his contract. I do not. Or, more to the point, I feel that this is the nature of signing a long term deal, as others have said.

I used to make the same argument that contracts are too one sided. Owners always have an out -- cutting a guy -- with minor ramifications to the cap.

Players don't have an out.

That seems unfair. However, this unfairness is already factored in in the form of guaranteed money. If you don't like the idea then don't sign a long term deal with a big guaranteed bonus. Play for one year deals. Or take less upfront in exchange for player options after three years. Everything is negotiatable and MJB negotiated it away when he took the bones money upfront.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    I don't think the issue is weather or not Kahn disrespected MJD. The issues is weather or not Kahn said something that could be interpreted by a player as disrespect.

Kahn has every right to disrespect anyone he wants, it just doesn't make good business sense to risk offending a star player. Stick to your guns and don't talk about it publicly. That's what smart owners and smart GMs do.
    I do agree with this. While Khan hasn't been disrespectful, in my view, he could have been more coy with the press. Something closer to no-comment would have put the PR ball in MJD's court.

That said, I'm reading that most fans support the owner. Strange, since he just sold them down river vis-a-vis London.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Jones-Drew is well within his right to hold out.

Technically, it's not his right. He's violating his contract, which explains why he is being fined.

Holy crap, I forgot that MJD is only 27 lol( I thought he was 29 or so). Forgive me, it's only Thursday and I'm getting weekend brain.