Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens Rainey destined for practice squad?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Comon now, two pre season games, lets not try and compare him to Darren Sproles just yet.

If it was up to me I'd probably carry 4 RB's...

1. Ray Rice
    2. Bernard Pierce (Stretch and zone runs, some short distance stuff)
    3. Damien Berry (Power back, for short yardage)
    4. Bobby Rainy (Can add depth as a KR/PR, as well as adding another dimension next to Rice as a receiving back)

Anthony Allen, I'd give him another chance on the PS.

I'd carry 4 safeties, and this should allow us to keep our usual depth else where. I'd cut Considine, and carry Thompson, and Omar Brown, and put Cook on the PS.
    Thats fine but we carried 4 last year, so thats not clearing room. I like the idea of 4 rbs but hed have to win the kr/pr because hes not going to be a gunner at his size more than likely. He really needs to contribute on STs. Udfa should just know that their way on the team is ST.

Id assume 8 lbs lewis mcclain ellerbe kruger upshaw mccellan kindle and ayanbadejo. Then you still have to worry who gets cut when suggs comes back because unless theres an IR more than likely its rainey anyway.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Thats fine but we carried 4 last year, so thats not clearing room. I like the idea of 4 rbs but hed have to win the kr/pr because hes not going to be a gunner at his size more than likely. He really needs to contribute on STs. Udfa should just know that their way on the team is ST.

Id assume 8 lbs lewis mcclain ellerbe kruger upshaw mccellan kindle and ayanbadejo. Then you still have to worry who gets cut when suggs comes back because unless theres an IR more than likely its rainey anyway.
    Didn't we carry 5 safeties last year? Reed, Pollard, Zibbi, Haruki, and Cook? Or was Cook on the PS/IR?

I just dont get how people think its a forgone conclusion he wont get thru waivers, look at even the worst RB situation's in the league and you'll find talented backs. Find me any RB situation in the league and you'll find at least 3 backs better or comparable to Rainey. And thats not to discredit Rainey, im a fan, but this notion that the Ravens HAVE to keep him is just off base imo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Didn't we carry 5 safeties last year? Reed, Pollard, Zibbi, Haruki, and Cook? Or was Cook on the PS/IR?
    I was going by week 1 roster. Cook actually played 8 weeks for the jets last year, then we apparently picked him up for the last 5. I thought he was on PS too.

Late editions are little different since injuries occur. The last 1-3 guys may make the team but that doesnt mean we wont cut them to add a player when needed either. Say STs struggles and rainey isnt offering good coverage ability. I could see them cutting him just to add another LB thats good at ST.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Detroit and New York are two teams that could use him now. Cincinnati could use him as a change of pace back to pair with Green-Ellis. If I am not mistaken, Pittsburgh's Rainey is hurt. Hell, Belichick might snatch him up just for kicks. He obviously isn't satisfied with the level of talent that offense has. Rainey is much like Sproles in his style. You don't think that Philip Rivers has missed Sproles. He was pissed when he left.

You guys keep thinking that they can stash these guys. It only takes one, and you are all left admitting that's why you're not the GM.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Detroit and New York are two teams that could use him now. Cincinnati could use him as a change of pace back to pair with Green-Ellis. If I am not mistaken, Pittsburgh's Rainey is hurt. Hell, Belichick might snatch him up just for kicks. He obviously isn't satisfied with the level of talent that offense has. Rainey is much like Sproles in his style. You don't think that Philip Rivers has missed Sproles. He was pissed when he left.

You guys keep thinking that they can stash these guys. It only takes one, and you are all left admitting that's why you're not the GM.
    Detroit has Kevin Smith, Leshoure getting ready to suit up in preseason, Stephon Green is a solid back fresh of that long TD run vs. us, Keiland Williams is a solid back and eventually they'll get Jahvid Best back. If they do go after a back its much more likely they go after a Ryan Grant then Bobby Rainey.

Cincy has BJGE, Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard....all better backs then Rainey, they also drafted Dan Herron late and still have Cedric Peerman.

Pats have Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and just signed Jeff Demps who will play RB there.

The Jets have Shonn Green, Bilal Powell, Joe Mcknight as well as the back from Baylor they drafted late

The Giants have Bradshaw, David Wilson, Ware looks like he'll be the goaline back. They also have Scott from Maryland

Im glad someone mentioned teams, it goes to show everyone has good backs, young backs they are excited about developing, etc. It's not a slam dunk that Rainey couldnt clear waivers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Detroit has Kevin Smith, Leshoure getting ready to suit up in preseason, Stephon Green is a solid back fresh of that long TD run vs. us, Keiland Williams is a solid back and eventually they'll get Jahvid Best back. If they do go after a back its much more likely they go after a Ryan Grant then Bobby Rainey.

Cincy has BJGE, Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard....all better backs then Rainey, they also drafted Dan Herron late and still have Cedric Peerman.

Pats have Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead and just signed Jeff Demps who will play RB there.

The Jets have Shonn Green, Bilal Powell, Joe Mcknight as well as the back from Baylor they drafted late

The Giants have Bradshaw, David Wilson, Ware looks like he'll be the goaline back. They also have Scott from Maryland

Im glad someone mentioned teams, it goes to show everyone has good backs, young backs they are excited about developing, etc. It's not a slam dunk that Rainey couldnt clear waivers.
    Its kind of funny because im not 100% sure thompson or streeter clear waivers but i do think our rbs can. More evidence that its a passing league and rbs just arent as valuable as they once were.
    -JAB

In a league where everybody is geared to the pass, a RB that can be just 25% of what we have in Ray Rice, will at least get a look. This kid is as close to a poorman version of RR that you can get. His college resume speaks to that and as somebody mentioned, it only takes one team.

With our luck there are multiple teams in Jersey, Indy, DC, and Detroit that would not mind taking him off of our hands. I agree that this year his value in other positions such as special teams may have him miss the 53, but I would not allow him to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Its kind of funny because im not 100% sure thompson or streeter clear waivers but i do think our rbs can. More evidence that its a passing league and rbs just arent as valuable as they once were.
    Neither Thompson or Streeter will ever make it to the practice squad if
    we attempt it .

Quote Originally Posted by rharris1986 View Post
    Rainey has ZERO (repeat ZERO) chance of making all the way through to the Raven's practice squad - just like TUCKER.

So they either make the 53 or they are gone forever. The Ravens are not that stupid!
    This gets said every year about this player or that player (Nate Bolling, Eron Riley, Justin Harper, Danny Gorrer,Justin Boren, Josh Bynes)

Most of the time it proves to be unfounded. Every team has guys like this that they want to keep. I think we as fans are inclined to overvalue the performance of some of these guys and give too much weight to what they do in PS games against 2nd and 3rd (and 4th) stringers.

And, in the end, most of these "we can't risk this guy" guys never amount to anything anyway (like Derek Anderson and Gerome Sapp).
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Brian Leonard? Seriously? Detroit and their plethora of constantly injured RBs? The New York Jets and their complete lack of explosion at the position? Bill Belichick might drop him, just as quick as he picks him up, but he will pick him up. Jacksonville seems to be dealing with a situation right now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The other interesting piece to all of this is that teams will keep people on the 53 until after all rosters and PS are pretty settled, then sign a veteran after the first game for money purposes and send the 52nd or 53rd guy out anyway. What you see on the 53 at the start of the season does not mean it is the 53 in Week 2. And once people get cut, there is some scramble to fill holes or to do better than you had before.

It can cause a headache.
    Captain Offense