Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: I don't know about you but Deonte Thompson is really starting to grow on me

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The thing that gives me the most hope for Thompson is that he definitely plays ST, as evidenced by the long runback in the Detroit game. I don't hear of Streeter doing much on ST, so immediately, that makes Thompson a slightly more attractive option.

Streeter hasn't necessarily been bad, I just think if it comes down to two of them for one spot, Thompson has the edge based on play and ST abilities. Having a backup return guy will be pretty good. You figure Jones, Jackson are the main guys, D. Thompson can do it too, as can Rainey who I think makes the team as well. That kind've thing will allow us to keep Torrey and Webb protected.
    This. If I had to choose between Thompson and Streeter right now, it'd be no contest. Definitely Thompson. And frankly I never again want to see Webb returning kicks.

Blog Entries

This is not so much an indictment of what Streeter is lacking, as it is a credit to just how well Thompson has played.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    Every year we have a WR bandwagon.
    I'm not knocking you, we all are guilty in one degree or another.
    Eron Riley ... we hyped away.... didn't make the team.
    I liked Matt Willis .... bye Matt PS for a while.
    LaQuan beat the odds, really beat the lockout odds but that was an exception, can we see another now?
    As a general rule, draft picks have an edge, but players like Justin Harper have blunted that edge.

Deonte turns in another great performance and the bandwagon starts rolling, you are just hopping on it earlier because of the Gators, but if he shines next game you will start having company, after all we are Fans and that is what fans do in the preseason :)
    Randy Hymes lives!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This is not so much an indictment of what Streeter is lacking, as it is a credit to just how well Thompson has played.
    100% agree. I dont think Streeter has looked bad. for a guy as raw as he was he may actually be a little better than expected. Thats what makes it so hard for some, like myself, to let him be susceptible to another teams poaching. If he looked bad, i could see how "streeter isnt getting picked up by anybody" but looking the way he has and not like a complete mess is actually not bad for a raw 6th rounder with his physical abilities. You could argue hes further along than Torrey at this point last year and hes not getting the targets and PT a 2nd round draft pick like Torrey was.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

It's not as if Streeter looks as bad as Clarence Moore of Justin Harper.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I am not sure being drafted really matters anymore, unless your picked in the first two rounds. Dannell Ellerbe and Jameel McClain beat out two ILB that we drafted around the same time, Tavarres Gooden and Jason Phillips. Bobby Rainey is very likely to make the roster over AA.

The only thing Streeter has over Thompson is his physical measurables. It's a moot point but in the end I really think Streeter is going to regret leaving school a year early.
    Truth.
    Just want to modify it a little in that the LBs in your examples did make the team for a couple of years before cut bait. Gooden was cut in 2011 when all 8 draft picks made the roster, Phillips was 3 yrs (1 IR IIRC)
    Past history has been that they usually made the team (or IR Harewood/Phillips).
    We have seen recent exceptions in Davon Drew/Cedric Peerman.

I didn't present it as rock hard facts but with a few fairly recent exceptions we have to add some weight to our guessing final roster if the player was drafted.

@GOTA you had to bring up a current WR for the Pittsburgh Power of the Arena Football League. Some of us keep trying to forget Hymes :p
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

For the record, I always thought Eron Riley was crap. Ditto Anthony Allen. (But did anyone listen to me? Noooooooooo..... "oh Anthony Allen, he's awesome, oh Anthony Allen... blah blah" j/k ).
    LOL. People are not going to like your not so short memory. To think we actually had people adamant that AA or Pierce or Berry could replace Rice with no problem. AA looks like he's bringing up the rear in the RB competition battle. Berry very well might be beat out by Rainey and to this point Pierce hasn't shown that he deserves to be above Rainey.

Imagine where our running game would be if the Ravens listened to some of the fans that thought we should try to trade Rice. LMAO.

Back to the topic of thread.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Randy Hymes lives!
    The difference is usually, with guys like eron riley, matt willis, etc...the beat writers never said they were doing really well. people just watched highlight vids or one catch in practice and they hyped them up.

The only reason I knew about Thompson going into TC? Beat writers CONSTANTLY dropped his name as someone outperforming Streeter and Doss.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think Thompson has definitely played himself onto the team.

Who knows if he will develop into anything as a regular WR, but who knows...maybe in a year or 2 he can develop into a Devery Henderson type of player.

Since this is the most excited I've been about the WR position in well, forever, I can't help to think what that position will look like in as little as 2 yrs.

I am positive that Torrey will be that #1 or #2 guy barring injury, but I'm thinking if there is someone else currently on the roster that could challenge Torrey to being that #1 or #2 guy.

I'm well aware that upcoming drafts and also the current regimes thoughts on putting ranking of the WRs we have could easily change all this, but I'm just curious if we could end up with most of these WRs still being here down the line.

I feel that barring injury, Doss, Thompson, and Williams could very well still be here.

Boldin may retire or move on as well as Jacoby Jones being elsewhere.

Streeter is a wild card that could end up being either Justin Harper or with some NFL coaching and offseasons, our own Plaxico Burress style player. To be honest even with the rawness of his skills, I still see the makings of everything you want in a #1 WR.

I'm just so much into football right now that my thoughts and ideas are in overdrive. Forgive me Orioles ;)

the Ravens have a tremendous legacy of bubble receivers
    (Clarence Moore, Devard Darling...)
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Since this is the most excited I've been about the WR position in well, forever, I can't help to think what that position will look like in as little as 2 yrs.

I am positive that Torrey will be that #1 or #2 guy barring injury, but I'm thinking if there is someone else currently on the roster that could challenge Torrey to being that #1 or #2 guy.

I'm well aware that upcoming drafts and also the current regimes thoughts on putting ranking of the WRs we have could easily change all this, but I'm just curious if we could end up with most of these WRs still being here down the line.

I feel that barring injury, Doss, Thompson, and Williams could very well still be here.

Boldin may retire or move on as well as Jacoby Jones being elsewhere.

Streeter is a wild card that could end up being either Justin Harper or with some NFL coaching and offseasons, our own Plaxico Burress style player. To be honest even with the rawness of his skills, I still see the makings of everything you want in a #1 WR.

I'm just so much into football right now that my thoughts and ideas are in overdrive. Forgive me Orioles ;)
    Yes, I think Torrey is already the number on this team and we need a compliment on the other side.
    And yes, I think these young guys could be around 3 years from now, including Streeter.

Streeter is not only raw, he is young. He came out early and we should all understand that and realize what he does have today. He has the height to overmatch defenders, regardless if he gains separation or not.
    But like the Ravens last possession against the Lions, Painter didn't throw the ball up for him, he threw it at waist level on the sideline and in the middle of the field. No wonder it was picked off.
    Understand who your receivers are and what is there strength.

We have had trouble scoring in the redzone and on 3rd and short.
    Give me a 6'5" wideout who can go up and make the catch along with outside sticky handed Thompson and our #1 Torrey Smith. Boldin in the slot and hopefully Doss and Williams can come behind Boldin as time goes on.

Harper was always open but simply could not catch. I do not think that is Streeter's problem.
    I think he just needs seasoning. Thompson is looking better evey time I see him.