Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Looking at the team now, we really know what we have.

I really think the offense is going to carry the team this year.

The defense will still be solid, but without a consistent pass rush (which there doesn't seem to be right now...maybe that's by design though) I think teams could pick on guys like Cary Williams. It'll be interesting to see what Dean Pees really does with this D, but right now I think it would be really beneficial for the entire team to know that the offense can sustain drives and put points on the board. That alone is going to take A LOT of pressure off of the defense.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

weve always had an offense thats goal was not to lose the game and let the defense win it. maybe now if the defense does falter well have to change that philosophy for the better and go out and outscore some teams.

then again...

I dont think what were seeing in the preseason is what Peas has up his sleeve. I think youll see a very good defense again and the only change to the offense that will be significant will be the sugar aspect which will hopefully just make us a tad more efficient and give us a one or two more scoring drives per game (fgs at least). considering we were almost top 10 in scoring last year that could easily put us in contention to have a top 5 offense if only one more fg a game happens. i think thats plausible. Peas may take a few weeks to get his footing but i dont expect much drop off from paganos defense. Peas knows how to call a defense and keep offenses guessing. he did pretty good with comparable if not less talent in NE.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

People say this every year, and I still can't see the offense carrying this team, improved most probably, but carrying the team? I've been hearing this for the past three years, and it's been far from the truth every year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    People say this every year, and I still can't see the offense carrying this team, improved most probably, but carrying the team? I've been hearing this for the past three years, and it's been far from the truth every year.
    agreed; I kinda chuckle when I read that. I just don't see them playing that style even if they could. Sure they're going to throw the ball more but Harbs and Cam are true to the style that's won a lot of games and that's ball control.
    The Jax game will tell us more but we won't really know until those first three games, and they're not cake walks.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ccoolahan14 View Post
    I think the Bengals are being undervalued. I agree that their offense will not improve significantly this year given their lack of quality WRs outside of AJ Green, but I think Benjarvus Green-Ellis is a step sideways or even a slight step-up from Cedric Benson, especially given that he has never fumbled. Also, the addition of first round pick Kevin Zeitler (who has reportedly been impressive) on the offensive line makes that unit slightly better than the one the Ravens faced at the tail end of last season (as someone mentioned, Bobbie Williams was hurt for a substantial part of the season last year, and his replacement will be the same this year).

Most importantly, however, I disagree about their secondary. Whereas last year Nate Clements and Adam Jones essentially had starting roles as the #2 and #3 CBs, they are now likely looking at being #4 and #5 on the depth chart with the additions of Dre Kirkpatrick (first round pick) and Terrence Newman (who isn't great but is probably an upgrade over Clements). Given the fact that our passing offense has traditionally struggled mightily against the Bengals (perhaps the first Ravens-Bengals game last year notwithstanding), and I think week 1 could be a very difficult game.
    Terrance Newman is not an upgrade over Nate Clements. You'll find that out shortly.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Terrance Newman is not an upgrade over Nate Clements. You'll find that out shortly.
    You're right. I was surprised that Newman was able to find a job. He hasn't just lost a step. He runs like a linebacker at this point.

Zimmer has a soft spot for his former guys. Roy Williams was flop for the Bengals and Newman will be as well.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You're right. I was surprised that Newman was able to find a job. He hasn't just lost a step. He runs like a linebacker at this point.

Zimmer has a soft spot for his former guys. Roy Williams was flop for the Bengals and Newman will be as well.
    What was Roy Williams' name to fame in Cincinnati, horse collaring Terrell Owens?

To get back on subject, the Bengals were in a pick your poison situation last year and I don't see anything different this year. The only thing I see is a weakened Ravens pass rush that could give Dalton more time to throw the ball. However, to be honest, if you go back and watch his two games against the Ravens last year, he had that time last year. He'll have to develop a second target. Personally, by week 1, I think the Ravens will have two CBs that could cause problems for A.J. Green. He'll have to play out of his mind.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I don't think what were seeing in the preseason is what Peas has up his sleeve. (snip) Peas knows how to call a defense and keep offenses guessing. he did pretty good with comparable if not less talent in NE.
    This. And I think it's really important. Because I think Marvin is hoping to do to us what we did to the Tar&Urine in last year's opener--having seen how that beatdown kickstarted our season, he & his staff have been game planning for us since the schedule came out, the same as we did for PGH last year. The advantage we had was that the Squealers pretty much stood pat during the offseason--we pretty much knew what we were going to get from them, & between the draft & the preseason only a few tweaks were needed. What will toss a spanner in the Bungles' works is that what he gets from us isn't going to bear much resemblance to what he's planning on--
    I think you'll see a very good defense again and the only change to the offense that will be significant will be the sugar aspect--
    --& I think Cam will do something similar if not as drastic. I think that a lot of what's being shown in preseason is the equivalent of the gadget plays we used in 2009 & 2010 against less challenging opposition: something to force future opponents to spend time & energy planning for. (Remember, the threat may be stronger than the execution of the threat.)

I keep hearing people mention how "dominant" the Ravens were last year. I know that they went 12-4, but were they really dominant? I can't really call them dominant in many games last year and the Seattle and Jacksonville games were quite the opposite.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I keep hearing people mention how "dominant" the Ravens were last year. I know that they went 12-4, but were they really dominant? I can't really call them dominant in many games last year and the Seattle and Jacksonville games were quite the opposite.
    They weren't dominant last year. However, I think that was more due to the coaching philosophy and somewhat due to the lack of execution. For example, even with the playcalling, they had plenty of opportunities to extend drives and really control the clock, but they had way too many dropped passes on third downs. At the same time, they also did too much running on first down late in games.

New England got their record, in part, sense it was weaker. However, they give their offense a cut-throat mentality and so, they don't sleep on anybody.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    We clearly looked so far from dominating when we played the Steelers in week 1. Against the Jets, we where bullied off the park, and we couldn't get any pressure on Alex Smith. We didn't beat any winning teams last year either... oh wait.

I'm concerned about the pass rush, and coverage abilities of the LB's.

I am concerned about the OLine and if it will perform well all year. It seems to be a transition year for them. Birk and McKinnie (if he starts) are in their last years. And KO while looking like a solid tackle in the future is a rookie. Gino also looks to be at least a year away from being ready to start.

I am worried that this just might be one of those years where things don't go the Ravens way. Last year things went there way, and they should have been in the SB.
    At least the rest of the division is down IMO as well.