Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Re: Mike Wallace to Report to Steelers this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    Apparently they never lowered their offer of 2.7 million when they could have lowered that considerably. They surely told him to play for that this year and he would be restructured after this year. Which, has been accurately pointed out, will be difficult. Either way, he has to perform this year. He was rumored to be in Florida training and living in Ike Taylor's house. It was also rumored that he had his hands on the playbook the entire time. Which if true, tells me he knew he was coming back anyway. His problem was he had an average second half of the season, which really hurt his bargaining position.

He will have to perform if he wants to earn the big bucks. Which makes me happy - as he will do everything he can to learn the playbook, make big plays, and be a major contributor to the offense. Even if that means only one more year as a Steeler. If he is traded, I hope they trade him to a totally different division. I hope he signs real soon and gets on the field for at least one practice game at the soonest, and the season opener at the latest. His presence will help the offense exponentially.
    If it's been accurately pointed out that it would be difficult, why should Wallace believe that it would happen?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Difficult does not mean it won't happen. The Steelers are pretty straightforward with their word. Just look at the Brown deal. That was a message to Wallace as much as it was a reward and incentive for Brown. When nobody made an offer for him, he should have immediately taken the the offer the Steelers offered him. By refusing, and missing camp and preseason, he did nothing for his situation. He should have come to camp and earned his next contract. A great year will increase his position considerably, a mediocre year, or even a sub-par year will absolutely destroy his chances at anything near what a top-shelf receiver makes.

Of course I cannot get into his mind, or nor can I even imagine the amount of money at stake. And I don't criticize his choices. However, I don't think there can be an argument over the fact that once nobody made an offer for him that he only hurt himself and his team by not showing up to camp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    If it's been accurately pointed out that it would be difficult, why should Wallace believe that it would happen?

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    OK, none of this really makes any sense.

1. He's coming into camp to sign his tender. Otherwise, there's no reason for him to come to camp.

2. Once he signs his tender, he's under contract and he can't sit out, at least, not without being fined or suspended by the team.

3. If he reports as it appears he's going to do this weekend, he's most certainly going to play this season, starting week 1.

4. If he didn't want to play until the last 6 games - in order to get an accrued season toward being a UFA next year - he'd simply not show up and not sign his tender until then.

5. So, by reporting and signing his tender - EVERYTHING has most definitely changed.

You nailed it. A young guy with a small contract is not going to sit out and pass up 2.7 million.

Wallace could get a loan for alot more than 2.7 mil. from someone. Why play for 2.7 and risk injury when you know you will have a big payday next year. Take the loan come back for the last 6 games,"tweek" a hammy in the 1st game back and become a FA at the end of the year. He's already pushed it this far why stop now.

Quote Originally Posted by Complex View Post
    When nobody made an offer for him, he should have immediately taken the the offer the Steelers offered him. By refusing, and missing camp and preseason, he did nothing for his situation. He should have come to camp and earned his next contract. A great year will increase his position considerably, a mediocre year, or even a sub-par year will absolutely destroy his chances at anything near what a top-shelf receiver makes.

Of course I cannot get into his mind, or nor can I even imagine the amount of money at stake. And I don't criticize his choices. However, I don't think there can be an argument over the fact that once nobody made an offer for him that he only hurt himself and his team by not showing up to camp.
    It isn't that nobody made an offer for him, it's that nobody wanted to make him an offer AND give the steelers a first round draft pick. Also, after seeing how VJax held out 10 weeks last year and still got paid, I don't think Wallace is hurting his situation by holding out. Plus there will be a fair number of teams that need to spend big bucks to get over the salary floor next year, so free agency should be a frenzy of crazy deals.

He is definitely hurting the steelers by holding out of camp. Is he hurting himself and his future earning potential? Well, since it is fairly obvious he won't be re-signed by the steelers now that the Brown deal is inked, I'd say his earning potential won't go up or down whether he reports now or in week 10.

Bottom line is the Steelers cant sign him now so he has to play under the RFA tender. and if they want to sign him long term or tag him it will cost the a lot of vets plus some more restructuring which will tighten their cap bind even more. If they tagged him he will almost def hold out again and they cant afford the $9 mil cap hit on a hold out.

No one is giving him Calvin Johnson money like someone here said, someone may be stupid and pay him fitz money but not PIT. They cant even give him the deal they gave to brown with out cutting a bunch of players inlcuding Harrison.