Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Mike Wallace to Report to Steelers this weekend

I think it's fair to say that his ticket out of Pittsburgh was stamped well before now. Everyone knew that they had to make a choice between he and Brown, and that the choice would be Brown. The surprise was how quickly they were able to sign Brown. If Brown had another season like he did last year, or improved on his play from last year, he would have likely gained more in FA. However, he decided to take his pay now. Nevertheless, it was never really in doubt that Wallace's days as a Steeler were numbered.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Anybody who labels Mike Wallace as a "head case" and a "locker room cancer" really need to get their facts straight, he's never been reported to have any issues regarding that. Is he a bit stupid, and a bit of an idiot with what he comes out with in the media, or how much money he wants? Yes, I'd say he isn't the brightest of guys, but he is from what I've seen a very hard working guy who is obviously really talented.

If anyone would like to prove me wrong by supplying some links of known locker room issues, feel free to do so. But it just seems that some of you think he's such a head case, because he's in fact a Pittsburgh Steeler. Admit it, he is just a damn good player, and he happens to play for the team we all hate, who cares, he wont be for much longer anyway. There is no need to hate a player because he plays for the team who decided to draft him, not unless it's a total prick like Heinz Ward or Ryan Clark who do more talking than playing on the field.

And btw, everyone is free to hold out if they wish. Would Ray Rice had held out had he not got signed? Nobody know's that for sure, but if he did, that's not a reason to hate the guy, because he's obviously done a lot for the community, and is a great team player, but this is business, and if your playing at a high level for a low amount of money compared to what other players who may not even be as good as you are getting, they are perfectly in their rights to demand that money. Same for Terrell Suggs. Is Suggs a bad team mate, and a locker room cancer? He is just about as far away as you can get from a locker room cancer, yet he was another player who held out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Anybody who labels Mike Wallace as a "head case" and a "locker room cancer" really need to get their facts straight, he's never been reported to have any issues regarding that. Is he a bit stupid, and a bit of an idiot with what he comes out with in the media, or how much money he wants? Yes, I'd say he isn't the brightest of guys, but he is from what I've seen a very hard working guy who is obviously really talented.
    Im not the biggest Wallace supporter. I dont think hes as good as some say, or at least as complete at WR regardless that hes a Steeler. although he is one of the best at taking the top off a D. this thought that hes a head case or troublemaker just needs to be dropped. hes neither. His "head case" issues are that he wants paid as well as he can in a career thats typically pretty short. I dont blame him, i dont agree with him that hes worth Fitz money, but i dont blame him for trying to get as much as he can.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    2 things here.

He can appear at camp not sign tender and have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal.

Or he can sign tender have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal and sit himself til week 10.

He won't play a game until he gets longterm deal before season. He won't sign tender and play, Steelers won't negotiate until he SHOWS up at camp.

Nothing has changed in reality he wants what he thinks he's worth and if he doesn't get it will only suit
    Up for 6 games to accrue a season.
    So if he does not sign his tender by the time the season starts what happens?

Also, if he does sign his tender and does not suit for for 6 games does that make him a RFA again next year?

Bottom line is the Steelers cant pay him what he wants or even what brown got so he better play and show his worth so he can get paid else where, but i do see him sitting out till the last 6 games even if he does show up. He wont risk an injury playing under the RFA tender. He is just showing up to try to get a deal he wont get.

It almost like why show up now???? its not like you are getting the money you want. My guess is he shows up, finds out he wont be getting the money he wants then leaves till week 11.

The only reason he is showing up is to try to get a deal. Would not be surprised to see a trade but only if he lowers his demands.

Can Wallace get what he wants salary wise considering the steelers cap situation?
    Or would it take some seriosu restructuring?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    Can Wallace get what he wants salary wise considering the steelers cap situation?
    Or would it take some seriosu restructuring?
    Let us start here. Nobody is going to give him Larry Fitzgerald money, even if he hits FA. Now, if his demands have lowered, they are still likely higher than what Brown was given by the team. It would take some serious restructuring to fit it in and Pittsburgh is already in a pickle when it comes to restructuring.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not the biggest Wallace supporter. I dont think hes as good as some say, or at least as complete at WR regardless that hes a Steeler. although he is one of the best at taking the top off a D. this thought that hes a head case or troublemaker just needs to be dropped. hes neither. His "head case" issues are that he wants paid as well as he can in a career thats typically pretty short. I dont blame him, i dont agree with him that hes worth Fitz money, but i dont blame him for trying to get as much as he can.
    I agree with you. It's another debate of how good he really is, but he isn't a head case off the field or anything. Like I said, and what you've just said, his issue is money. He has a delusion that he deserves Fitzgerald type money, which he obviously doesn't, he just isn't that good. Right now I'd put him in the tier 2 type category.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Let us start here. Nobody is going to give him Larry Fitzgerald money, even if he hits FA. Now, if his demands have lowered, they are still likely higher than what Brown was given by the team. It would take some serious restructuring to fit it in and Pittsburgh is already in a pickle when it comes to restructuring.
    The Steelers could probably just about to afford him if they franchise him, and that's with a bunch of restructuring, and a cluster fuck of cutting older players, it may even cost them James Harrison. I have some doubt that they will want another hold out from him, along with being handcuffed cap wise just to have him for another year.

If he hits free agency, a team is going to outbid the Steelers are significantly over pay. They will get them selves a great deep threat, and someone who can be a very good #1 receiver, but will likely have to pay Calvin Johnson type money for a tier two WR.

Apparently they never lowered their offer of 2.7 million when they could have lowered that considerably. They surely told him to play for that this year and he would be restructured after this year. Which, has been accurately pointed out, will be difficult. Either way, he has to perform this year. He was rumored to be in Florida training and living in Ike Taylor's house. It was also rumored that he had his hands on the playbook the entire time. Which if true, tells me he knew he was coming back anyway. His problem was he had an average second half of the season, which really hurt his bargaining position.

He will have to perform if he wants to earn the big bucks. Which makes me happy - as he will do everything he can to learn the playbook, make big plays, and be a major contributor to the offense. Even if that means only one more year as a Steeler. If he is traded, I hope they trade him to a totally different division. I hope he signs real soon and gets on the field for at least one practice game at the soonest, and the season opener at the latest. His presence will help the offense exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Boulderraven View Post
    2 things here.

He can appear at camp not sign tender and have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal.

Or he can sign tender have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal and sit himself til week 10.

He won't play a game until he gets longterm deal before season. He won't sign tender and play, Steelers won't negotiate until he SHOWS up at camp.

Nothing has changed in reality he wants what he thinks he's worth and if he doesn't get it will only suit
    Up for 6 games to accrue a season.
    OK, none of this really makes any sense.

1. He's coming into camp to sign his tender. Otherwise, there's no reason for him to come to camp.

2. Once he signs his tender, he's under contract and he can't sit out, at least, not without being fined or suspended by the team.

3. If he reports as it appears he's going to do this weekend, he's most certainly going to play this season, starting week 1.

4. If he didn't want to play until the last 6 games - in order to get an accrued season toward being a UFA next year - he'd simply not show up and not sign his tender until then.

5. So, by reporting and signing his tender - EVERYTHING has most definitely changed.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 08-22-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Thanks once again Ravor!