Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Mike Wallace to Report to Steelers this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    he hasn't had any leverage through this whole thing, his agent should be on the phone asking if he can talk about those fines going away. MJD won't miss a game either for the same reasons.
    The difference is that Jones-Drew can afford the fines, because he's been paid in the past.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I'd rather have Mike Wallace than Jacoby Jones.
    Is Wallace available for $3M/yr too?!

Jones' money?

No money for a Wallace deal this year. Even less since Brown's deal.
    Wallace wanted 11.5M/yr and Steelers offered him 10M/yr for 5 yrs.
    Say what you will about the stillers, but they don't mess around with troublemaking WRs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    The difference is that Jones-Drew can afford the fines, because he's been paid in the past.
    $30K a day and he's already missed 3 weeks, and 1 1/7th of his paycheck for every game missed. That's about $1M if he misses one game. No, he cannot afford it. His agent should call Jax and start the discussion of 'if I get him into camp will you agree to drop the fines?'

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I think Ross Tucker on NFL Network said MJD would be losing something like 250K per week once the season starts.

I don't care how much you've got in the bank, 250K per week is pretty tough to swallow passing up.

Can they fine Wallace even though he has not signed his tender?

Quote Originally Posted by bensmotorcyclehelmt View Post
    No money for a Wallace deal this year. Even less since Brown's deal.
    Wallace wanted 11.5M/yr and Steelers offered him 10M/yr for 5 yrs.
    Say what you will about the stillers, but they don't mess around with troublemaking WRs.
    How is Wallace a troublemaking WR? Because he didn't accept a RFA offer? If he didn't think it was his fair market value, it's well within his right to hold out. He doesn't have a criminal history, and I don't recall him making any disparaging remarks about the team.

If this happened with a player on the ravens, I wouldn't be happy, but I also would understand where the player is coming from. He played out his contract and would like to get a new contract at the value he believes himself to be worth. It also doesn't help that this is the last year of RFAs as we know it, as all drafted players now sign 4 years deals, after which they are UFAs.

I guess if they cant fine him its just for every game missed he loses 1/16th of his tender for not playing since he did not earn the money.

I dont think they can fine him for skipping camp or showing up late.

I think 5 year 10mil was fair but they cant even pay that now. I think wallace would have taken 10mil a year but he wanted it longer than 5 years with more guaranteed money.

He has not made much money in his career so he cannot afford to skip work and not get a pay check.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    How is Wallace a troublemaking WR? Because he didn't accept a RFA offer? If he didn't think it was his fair market value, it's well within his right to hold out. He doesn't have a criminal history, and I don't recall him making any disparaging remarks about the team.

If this happened with a player on the ravens, I wouldn't be happy, but I also would understand where the player is coming from. He played out his contract and would like to get a new contract at the value he believes himself to be worth. It also doesn't help that this is the last year of RFAs as we know it, as all drafted players now sign 4 years deals, after which they are UFAs.
    He is a total head case and locker room problem. He even caused stirs about this. Its one thing to hold out its another to be a head case and cause stirs.

OT: I think MJD needs to get his ass to camp he is doing no one good and just pissing off a fanbase and a team. Its not like he is making bad money, he just saw all these RBs get signed and he want a peice before he starts to hit his twilight. but he is not a mess in the locker room or causing a stir. If I am Jax trade him, they need the picks.

2 things here.

He can appear at camp not sign tender and have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal.

Or he can sign tender have 2 weeks to workout longterm deal and sit himself til week 10.

He won't play a game until he gets longterm deal before season. He won't sign tender and play, Steelers won't negotiate until he SHOWS up at camp.

Nothing has changed in reality he wants what he thinks he's worth and if he doesn't get it will only suit
    Up for 6 games to accrue a season.

How is Wallace a headcase or locker room problem, I may have conveniently forgotten his transgressions but I don't recall him having any prior issues with the steelers. If you're calling him a headcase because he won't show up to camp, he not under contract so until he signs the offer sheet he has no obligation to be there. The steelers are trying to get an extra year of service out of him on the cheap because they can't afford to pay him and he knows it. Plus the steelers are notorious for dumping players once their guaranteed money has been payed, so he may of rejected that 5 year $50 million contract because it was back-loaded with <$20 million guaranteed. We really don't know what the steelers offered him, to it's unfair to say he was given a fair deal.

OT: I agree that MJD holding out is stupid. He has a FMV contract, and is only hurting himself right now.

Quote Originally Posted by NCCRavensFan View Post
    How is Wallace a troublemaking WR? Because he didn't accept a RFA offer? If he didn't think it was his fair market value, it's well within his right to hold out.
    It is well within his right. And with that move, he may have stamped his ticket out of Pittsburgh.

Holding out is a distraction to the team. And he won't be up to speed on a new offense if he ever decides to show up. So I do consider it troublemaking. I certainly wouldn;t consider it "trying to better the team," would you?

And the steelers are moving on without him. So much so that they went as far as to sign his backup, who was not in a contract year, to a long-term deal.