Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Is there any possibility that Jacoby Jones is not the third WR come week 1?

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Laquan really has been impressive, and i really doubted wed see much improvement from him this year. I was really wrong. hes definitely been our most improved and considering hands, id say hes the better option right now. considering Jones ran a 4.5 40 and laquan ran a 4.55 is there really anything he doesnt offer to the offense that Jones does?
    Size-speed combo. Jacoby is just under 6'3" whereas LaQuan is just barely 6'.

None of that really matters as long as the guy can gain separation I suppose, but there is that to consider. Other than Tommy Streeter, Jacoby is the 2nd biggest receiver on the books right now. If Doss can stay healthy, he likely could have been "that" receiver for the Ravens. Hopefully he still will.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Size-speed combo. Jacoby is just under 6'3" whereas LaQuan is just barely 6'.

None of that really matters as long as the guy can gain separation I suppose, but there is that to consider. Other than Tommy Streeter, Jacoby is the 2nd biggest receiver on the books right now. If Doss can stay healthy, he likely could have been "that" receiver for the Ravens. Hopefully he still will.
    good point, for some reason i did think he was shorter (probably because he plays small), so that is something he offers if only in theory.
    -JAB

Who I wish to be the #3, that would be Doss. Who should be the #3 based on the past, it should be Laquan. Who will be the #3 based on the coaching staff's "we know best attitude", Jacoby.

When it's third down, just throw it to Pitta.

Blog Entries

Jones will def be the #3. Id put money on it. He has the speed that they want next to Torrey, plus Cameron has probably been foaming at the mouth ever since he saw Jones nail that end around against Atlanta. And we all know that we will see a lot more two tight end sets than three wide anyway.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 08-21-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries

Laquan really has been impressive, and i really doubted wed see much improvement from him this year. I was really wrong. hes definitely been our most improved and considering hands, id say hes the better option right now. considering Jones ran a 4.5 40 and laquan ran a 4.55 is there really anything he doesnt offer to the offense that Jones does?
    That was in 2007, and 40 times doesn't always determine just how fast a player is in a game. There are plenty of down field threats in todays game who didn't have the greatest of 40 times at their respective combines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    That was in 2007, and 40 times doesn't always determine just how fast a player is in a game. There are plenty of down field threats in todays game who didn't have the greatest of 40 times at their respective combines.
    if youre just talking about ability to take a top off the defense by running 9 routes, than yeah i think it does. its straight line speed they have to respect. could the 40 be off from his game speed... sure, but so could Williams. the fact that theyre that close means theyre at least comparable in that aspect. Im not really arguing that there are some guys that are known as down field threats that arent fast (brandon lloyd ran a 4.62 but averages 15.4 ypc), but i think those guys do so with route running not speed, which neither Laquan or Jones are really known for. even if he is a bit faster what does that gain him vs Williams if he cant catch the ball consistently?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

if youre just talking about ability to take a top off the defense by running 9 routes, than yeah i think it does. its straight line speed they have to respect. could the 40 be off from his game speed... sure, but so could Williams. the fact that theyre that close means theyre at least comparable in that aspect. Im not really arguing that there are some guys that are known as down field threats that arent fast (brandon lloyd ran a 4.62 but averages 15.4 ypc), but i think those guys do so with route running not speed, which neither Laquan or Jones are really known for. even if he is a bit faster what does that gain him vs Williams if he cant catch the ball consistently?
    Players also get faster by time, again 2007 was a while ago now, and it's obvious that Jones has more game speed than LQW. For example, could LQW have executed that end around that Jones did? I doubt it, that was blazing pure speed.

Blog Entries

Don't get me started, we were a dropped/stripped ball away from the Super Bowl, so who do we replace him with? A guy famous for dropping the fucking ball....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Players also get faster by time, again 2007 was a while ago now, and it's obvious that Jones has more game speed than LQW. For example, could LQW have executed that end around that Jones did? I doubt it, that was blazing pure speed.
    players get faster?... im not sure i believe that. play faster as the game slows down, yeah, but actually get faster? i dont think i believe that.

lets not start praising end arounds before Cam sees this... when they work they sure do look good, but when they dont, which is usually the case, he wouldnt have looked so fast. if williams could or couldnt have done that, no idea and quite frankly i dont want my WRs running end arounds i want them catching balls 10+ yards down field.
    -JAB

Laquan looked good, aside form that pesky thing of catching the darn ball. And still, I noted only two that he probably should have had early.
    He made some nice moves to get open in the intermediate and also sat down well in space.
    If he holds on to one or two of those that he missed and there's no doubt he's #3.
    Jones should hope he locks up the return job because he looks like #4 at WR to me.

Blog Entries

This is really all you need to know... granted its one play, but each makes for a relatively accurate description of said player overall.

Wide Receiver

LaQuan Williams reached his quota of one eye-opening catch per day when he looked like he climbed an invisible ladder to catch a pass over Omar Brown. It was hard to clearly make out how high he went up to haul in the pass but a conservative estimate would be 9-10 feet.

Jacoby Jones dropped a pass from Tyrod Taylor in the back of the end zone. He made the attempt over his shoulder with his arms extended; however, when the ball hit his hands, it rolled off his fingertips for an incomplete pass.
    LEEEEACH finds paydirt, Jacobys slippery hands keep showing up and only one kicker is good from 60

Williams still has ability to haul in the amazing pass consistently, while Jones drops routine passes consistently.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Don't get me started, we were a dropped/stripped ball away from the Super Bowl, so who do we replace him with? A guy famous for dropping the fucking ball....
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.